Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
High tech long oval vice

Has anyone seen the high tech method used to put a long oval shape on Akubras?

Long Oval Reverse Clamp_800x600.JPG

Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
How long does it take for hats to come from EA to the USA?

Got my shipping notice this morning :D

The package just cleared Melbourne and I was wondering when I should expect it to arrive in the Gulf South. (Or more accurately, when should I plan to take some time off to play with the new toys...)

Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Thanks Zombie!

Looking forward to a pair of new CampDrafts - complete with long oval shape. It has been a long wait for the Silverbelly and I am finally getting impatient.

By the way, what is the hat and color in your photo? Particularly, nice hat!

Fed

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welp, I just lost my Banjo Paterson a couple days ago. Hung it on my bike rack as I put my things into my car at the end of the work day and...well...had driven all the way back to my apartment before I realized I hadn't taken it off that rack.

So, I'm in the market for a new Akubra. Thinking about a lighter-colored one for the summer. The Cattleman in Sand sold by EA is lookin' mighty appealing right about now lol.

Rogera

Welp, I just lost my Banjo Paterson a couple days ago. Hung it on my bike rack as I put my things into my car at the end of the work day and...well...had driven all the way back to my apartment before I realized I hadn't taken it off that rack.

So, I'm in the market for a new Akubra. Thinking about a lighter-colored one for the summer. The Cattleman in Sand sold by EA is lookin' mighty appealing right about now lol.

Nooooooooooooo! Oh well, at least there is a silver lining to that cloud!

old-time-stevie

New in Town

Oh man - major bummer about losing the BP!
Have you considered a Panama?

Neophyte

I haven't, actually. Can a Panama hold up under rainy weather? I was lookin' at Akubras mainly for outdoorsing/inclement weather. Most other times in hot weather I either wear a newsboy or no hat at all.

old-time-stevie

New in Town
No, a Panama won't hold up to much rain. A little is ok but they will lose their shape in a downpour and you will have to reshape it as it dries. An Akubra is great in a downpour as you already know. Where a Panama shines is in the hot sun. By reflecting the sun, providing shade and breathing; it makes me feel much cooler than no hat at all.
Maybe you need both? Can't have too many hats can we? ;)

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
My Sombrero got here. This is not a subtle hat. It is wild. Something like the deranged mutant wide-brim offspring of a top hat, a bowler, and a wallaby. The crown is enormous, gave it a tugboat crease to bring it down a little. Still tugboat-sized. I love it.

Pics included.
DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0180.jpg

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
Looks great Crazy Dave! These hats ARE boats! The vent holes in the crown even look like friggin portholes!
You're a guitar slinger, is this hat gonna see any stage time?

My avitar pic is me with my well loved '52 reissue tele and an old 10x Stetson. I forgot I even had an avitar pic, they don't show on my crappy phone internet.

Neophyte

Awesome lid, Crazy Dave. I'm been considering a Sombrero for a while, but the only good pics I could find of it were Bush Tucker Man pics. Looks great!

Since I lost my Banjo Paterson last week, I've been looking around thinking about what Akubra to buy next. I had been considering the Cattleman in Fawn, but had a hard time conceptualizing the shape and brim width and wondering if it were right for me. When lo and behold who do I meet this morning but a man working in the same building with a Cattleman in Fawn. I was shocked at the coincidence. He was shocked to meet someone else who knew what Akubra was lol. That sold it, though. My next hat's gonna be a Cattleman, just gotta agonize over the color choices and whether to order from DM or EA, all that jazz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff