Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

MothPrey

New in Town
Ah, yes, the Sombrero.. yet another intriguing, unusual model I've never seen in person.

I remember seeing pix here somewhere of one that had had the brim ironed flat and turned into a sort of super-safari hat. Made me wonder, if you started with TWO of them in staggered sizes, strip the insides off one and the outsides of another, nest them, work them together and come up with a near-matching pug, whether that might be a way to get something close to Chuck Heston's amazing, outlandish, skyscraper-crowned, double-brimmed, scene-stealing Terai from Secret of the Incas. The hat that ate Cincinnati. That thing had a life of its own. No disrespect to the Indy lids, but if that's what the prop departments were shooting for, they fell far short. In a n age full of hats that had four times the character (and felt) as anything else around.

Not that I'd have any idea where to wear such a thing if I made one... and I might have to build a cage for it.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I just got my Sombrero the other day. It really is a neat hat. I gave it a telescope crown, took out the swooping sides but left the cettle curl. I braided a leather band to replace the big piece of cow it came with. It seems like people shy away from the Sombrero because of its size and name. It is big but it's not like the sombreros we're used to seeing in the movies. I think the western crowd would really enjoy it.
Crazy Dave, let us know what you think and post pics if you can!

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
Not sure what bash I'll give it yet, telescope crown is the first thing that came to mind, but I'll know for certain when I see the hat in person. I asked for the roo chinstrap, these big brims really like to go kiting…I'll post pics when it gets here.

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
My hat's somewhere at our postal services…postwoman wouldn't hand it over to my wife today, and it won't be available for pickup till monday…oh the agony…:p

Brian, if that's you in your avatar, it's always good to see another hat wearing guitarslinger. :D

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Richard that hat is you! That's a good brim width for you. I wish Akubra would use that bow work on the Fed IV

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I just got my Sombrero the other day. It really is a neat hat. I gave it a telescope crown, took out the swooping sides but left the cettle curl. I braided a leather band to replace the big piece of cow it came with. It seems like people shy away from the Sombrero because of its size and name. It is big but it's not like the sombreros we're used to seeing in the movies. I think the western crowd would really enjoy it.
Crazy Dave, let us know what you think and post pics if you can!
I do own a Sombrero. Nice hat.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Nice looking lids gentlemen. I do love my FLBG Campdraft it and my Stetson Firenza are my most-worn hats.
I will blaspheme and say that I have enough thin ribbons and will concentrate on the wider ribbons from here on out. I've been thinking of another Akubra lately and though I would really like a Fed IV, I am toying with the idea of something with a very wide brim such as the Banjo Patterson or a Sombrero. I'll ruminate on the matter a bit further.

old-time-stevie

New in Town
Snowy River moves to town

I've got a 25 year old Snowy River that has been through years of camping, fishing and outdoor cooking in every kind of weather. It has been extremely durable and functional and eventually even softened up a bit. I love how it feels now.

I always loved the color but was never very fond of the shape. I bought it wanting a hat that did not look too "cowboy". While it did look different than a cattleman's creased Texas hat it still looked too cowboy for me. The wide brim turned up on the sides and down in the front and back was extremely effective in a hard rain but I think that is what gives it that look. (by the way - no offense intended to folks who look great in their cowboy hats!!)

So this week I decided to go for broke and try to turn it into a fedora. First step was to remove the braided kangaroo band and try to make a 1-1/2" brown ribbon band. I found a tutorial on this site that helped. The ribbon is ok considering it is modern grosgrain from Jo Ann Fabric. Then I tried to steam out the crown shape using a tea kettle and round mixing bowl - another suggestion from this site. There are still hints of some old worn-in creases but not too bad. Then a center crease with front pinch. Just these changes made a drastic difference. Looked like a "moonshiner" hat at that point.

But the brim was still way too wide at 3-1/4" and I could not get the shape to change very much. So this morning I tried what I knew might be a big mistake. I took the kitchen shears and carefully trimmed the brim back to 2-1/2". After a bit of sanding the edge with #100 sandpaper the edge is almost acceptable. I am sure Art or Graham would have the right tools and experience to do a better job. But this exercise was about learning and experimenting. Lastly I heavily steamed the brim and worked with trying to curl up the back and sides. This is actually proving to be the hardest part but I am making some progress.

It is far from perfect and still a work in process. I thought my Akubra wearing friends might be amused :D

snowyrivermod1_zpscee913f1.jpg

snowyrivermod2_zpscea1edbf.jpg

Oh, and I've got a brand new Akubra Angler to begin breaking in as my new camping and fishing hat.

Last edited:

old-time-stevie

New in Town
Thank you Richard! You are right about the sandpaper as the last hour of work has proven.
I was just admiring your Squatter and wondering why I am going to all this trouble. Just hard headed I suppose.
Stevie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy