Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

...I had been considering the Cattleman in Fawn, but had a hard time conceptualizing the shape and brim width and wondering if it were right for me. When lo and behold who do I meet this morning but a man working in the same building with a Cattleman in Fawn. I was shocked at the coincidence...
Sometimes the universe has a way of helping us find our way through the decisions we're trying to make, whether they're big or small. ;)

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Well, the shipping from Melbourne to Mississippi was 6 days.

Here is the one which was shipped on the bottom. A bit bent, but it is an open crown Akubra, so this is not a concern.

IMG_4122.JPG

As you can see, I wasted no time in getting some preliminary shape to them with the Roy Rogers shower method followed by a Jimmy Stewart 6 point diamond crease:

IMG_4124.JPG

Doing the Silverbelly in an elongated C-crown, just need to round the points that crept in there. A little bit of touch-up left to do to each before letting them finish air drying:

IMG_4134.JPG

I am quite happy with them both and particularly like the BlueGrass. This will work so well with jeans and a black leather motorcycle jacket.

There is a slight variance in the tightness, (Silverbelly is a bit tighter) but no concerns here as I am sure that they will work nicely upon wearing.

I had expected to get the nice Akubra boxes that I have seen from some of your photos, but just a shipping box arrived with two hats nested inside. I guess they intend for hats to go on heads rather than in boxes...

I am looking forward to wearing the Silverbelly in the morning with khaki range pants. Should go well together.

Fed

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
You're a guitar slinger, is this hat gonna see any stage time?

My avitar pic is me with my well loved '52 reissue tele and an old 10x Stetson. I forgot I even had an avitar pic, they don't show on my crappy phone internet.

I don't really have a stage outfit anymore. People often think I dress up for stage with my waistcoats and boots and hats but in reality these are just my clothes. So yes, it will probably see stage time. :D

Joao, nice bash! Did you flatten the brim a bit? That black Lester Polfus, and the way you look would seem to point towards my beloved Stoner Rock scene. Am I mistaken?

Fed, nice hats!

Neophyte, the Cattleman seems like a good choice. I'd considered the Woomera and the Warrego before deciding on a Sombrero. It was bigger and cheaper so obviously the better choice. :D

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Thanks guys,

I do appreciate the kind remarks. I also appreciate the people here at FL who took the time to share their experiences and techniques. There are quite a number who contributed to my current state of addiction.

My wife, on the other hand, is not quite so thrilled by the boxes and hats building up in our room...

:)

Fed

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao, nice bash! Did you flatten the brim a bit? That black Lester Polfus, and the way you look would seem to point towards my beloved Stoner Rock scene. Am I mistaken?
No, I did nothing to it. It's just like it arrived to me. Don't know if previous owner did something.
That black guitar is a Les Paul Studio Goth Edition. It sounds more "metal" than "clean".

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
The brim is more curled up on mine, I guess that's what they're like when they're new. It made me feel like Yosemite Sam so I flattened it out a bit yesterday. The pickups on those Goths (both Gibson and Epi) were designed with metal in mind, so it will certainly make blistering distortion sound good. On the other hand there is no reason the guitar couldn't be used for jazz or country music.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
The brim is more curled up on mine, I guess that's what they're like when they're new. It made me feel like Yosemite Sam so I flattened it out a bit yesterday. The pickups on those Goths (both Gibson and Epi) were designed with metal in mind, so it will certainly make blistering distortion sound good. On the other hand there is no reason the guitar couldn't be used for jazz or country music.
Mine was used but looks like new and got it from the bay, not HD or EA.
When I was choosing this LP other LPs were showed to me but I liked the sound of this one more than the others. I was warned that it didn't had the clean sound others have.
The only reason to not use this guitar on other music genres are the listeners :)

Geldoc

One of the Regulars
Very nice work, Fed. Re your wife, my advice is get your hats out of any shared space and, possibly, out of her line of sight at home. Yes, we have some enlightened spouses here on FL, and I'm sure we are perceived reciprocally, as we should be. However, the potential for someone tripping over a hat box is scary.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Thanks Harv!

They are quite lovable. I really enjoy the ability to customize the crown to suit your chosen look and the color is not done justice in most photos.

Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Very nice work, Fed. Re your wife, my advice is get your hats out of any shared space and, possibly, out of her line of sight at home. Yes, we have some enlightened spouses here on FL, and I'm sure we are perceived reciprocally, as we should be. However, the potential for someone tripping over a hat box is scary.

While I have a great wife, (no, she does not read this) this is good advice. I do need to come up with a design for some display hangers/racks to put them on the wall of the man-cave for their good and mine.

Fed

ingineer

One Too Many
This hat doesn’t seem to get much love here, then Renault posted his.
Akubra Bushman in Moonstone
The rep at DM was very helpful and picked out a small 61 for me to fit my 23 5/8 inch noggin
He also stated that they do fit tight. So just two one dollar bills folded up makes it fit.
Much darker than I expected.

Packed with foam to protect when nested, it makes me think a white ribbon would be good, alas don't know how to do that other than a pug.

Shot of open crown

The brim is recalcitrant and does not want to snap down,time for tea.
Threw on a horsehair and quick bash

Richard

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Richard - nice colour. A bit of steam will sort the brim out, and if you do a search there are at least a couple of tutorials on ribbon replacement floating around.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Richard,

Nice looking hat. As to the brim, I would not be shy. One of my CampDrafts was a bit reluctant to snap down, but it was quickly put into place and has not been a problem since. My bet is that the Bushman will do the same.

I understand the hatband hesitancy. I solved this by getting a beater and learning ribbon replacement on it.

I used this web based tutorial:

http://dalexs.whitvani.net/hat/hatpage.html

It is not the only method, but is pretty well written and the photos support the text quite well. It does focus on the Indy style, but that is pretty pleasing and it does leave you with the possibility of trying other options.

Good luck with your hat!

Fed

Last edited:

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Today I got a package from Sam in Australia....Wow! 5 days from the order!

My first Campdraft.....and in Bluegrass.......couldn't wait for the Silverbelly. And, I'm glad I got this color. Outstanding.

Having never bashed a Campdraft before.....do you guys wet or steam it first? Or just go about it dry?

I was thinkinbg of a center crease, with pinched front. Turned down brim. Fedora style?

And, of all things, last night, at midnite, I ordered a Federation IV from Hatsdirect in Moonstone. I'll have to bash that one too.

I'm stoked! And like Zombie suggested, I went down to Hobby Lobby and picked up 2 wrought iron hat racks....half price sale! Also some felt and cork for adjusting sizing on some of my hats: 4 squares of Felt (9inch by 12 inch) any color you want, and a roll of cork for half price....about $3.

While the wife's out of town, I'm going to surreptitiously place the hat racks with a hat on them. See how long it takes for her to notice them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112