Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

swd

New in Town
Short answer:

Just pick one you like. You really can't go wrong! :D

Longer answer:

The way I see it, Matt, you can't go wrong with any Akubra for standing up to the elements. It is more a matter of deciding how much "hat" you want. A higher crown and wider brim width is best for maximum sun and heat protection, but how it looks and feels on your head is also important. Also, moving through the woods hunting and paddling around in a kayak are two rather different activities, so perhaps more than one hat would be appropriate. In any case, I think you'd want a stampede string so it doesn't get away from you in the great outdoors. I was recently browsing on the Hats Direct site and saw a model called the Wentworth, which I had not seen before (all my previous Akubras were purchased from David Morgan). I know that HD is a different source than you mentioned, but it might be worth a look. It seems like a good all-around hat, in both appearance and dimensions. I will probably have to get one to add to my collection!

Good luck in your search and final selection.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I've been thinking of getting another Woomera and leaving the crown open. Taking the side swoop out of the brim and working the kettle curl like my current Woomera but only with an open crown. The reason for the crown left open is because I've been wanting a mushroom hunting hat that'll kinda look like a mushroom. I know it probably sounds dumb but I think it would be kinda fun to have a hat that looks the part. I tend to find myself out hunting on wet days and my other hats see enough rain from daily work and play so it'd be nice to be able to give them a little break. The Woomera is heavy and I'd much rather have another BOTP or Silver Spur but I they don't make them anymore so my open crown options are limited.

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Well here's my new hat I'm off to the store to get some felt to bring the size down a little. And then to make it look more Aussie than cowboy I was Igoing to put A C crown in it and I was going to bring the sides down a little bit what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421094591421.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421094591421.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 238

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
I've been thinking of getting another Woomera and leaving the crown open. Taking the side swoop out of the brim and working the kettle curl like my current Woomera but only with an open crown. The reason for the crown left open is because I've been wanting a mushroom hunting hat that'll kinda look like a mushroom. I know it probably sounds dumb but I think it would be kinda fun to have a hat that looks the part. I tend to find myself out hunting on wet days and my other hats see enough rain from daily work and play so it'd be nice to be able to give them a little break. The Woomera is heavy and I'd much rather have another BOTP or Silver Spur but I they don't make them anymore so my open crown options are limited.

There's nothing wrong with wearing an open crown hat in my book. I think you should go for it.

diabolicaldog

New in Town

I was a little disappointed to see the ribbon has changed on the Woomera. Gone is the double layer ribbon with three longitudinal stitches, it has been replaced with the same ribbon as the Bobby and Campdraft.

I take the swoop out of the similar shaped Bobby with a fair bit of steam and pressing it down on the kitchen bench.

89quattro

One of the Regulars
Probably been asked before, but can anyone recommend reliable U.S. online retailers other than DM and DelMonico for Akubra's. I've seen some posts recommending cultured cowboy, australian hat outlet, and bluewater group, all of whom have some items listed at more competitive prices, but I've been unsuccessful in getting them to respond to e-mails and phone calls.

Edit: 6 minutes after my post, I received a response back from Sara at australian hat outlet....go figure.

Comments still welcomed.

Last edited:

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
I bit the bullet today and ordered a Federation IV Deluxe in dark brown. Really looking forward to playing with the hat and a steaming kettle!

Hi there, Jim... I will probably find this by reading back through the postings.... from which company did you place your order? I've been looking for one as well...

Thank you in advance...

~shoes~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner