Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

wedgetail

New in Town
Wedgetail,
You can now say that you have done your part for the AU economy. I ordered the woomera in fawn and a fawn campdraft I have been putting off as well. Might as well combined the shipping as both will be a three month wait.
yeah absolutely... Sounds like a good combo you've gone for, I do like a fawn hat myself! What bash are you planning for the woomera? I notice the hat in your avatar is quite woomera like - what is it?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Mm25 , I was in on both even before , but after they came out with SanTone Fawn in The Woomera , THAT is a Great Color ! A Great Working Hat . Open Crown , plenty of Crown and Brim to make it what you want , and the Color you don't have to baby at all . I keep thinking the BGG CD , though on that , versatile looking on everyone I've seen with it .

Thanks Wedgetail , I'm no stranger to the top side of a horse and have seen the bottom , too a few times . We had ( yeah Had) Horses and Cattle , and I broke and rode horses for people . Had friends that rodeoed , one made it to the PRCA World finals in Vegas Bull Riding , but almost didn't make it out (he's crazy) Alive , he Hung Up ... . He was one of the featured Wrecks on a Major NetWork TV Sports Medicine Special . *cough* it was BAD .

A guy tried to get me to go to AU to haul cattle out of the stations , but ... I didn't go . I heard some stories that didn't sound fun (but it could have been), though it would have been interesting . Those Racks look dangerous (Like Trains !) along with the "roads ?" getting in and out of there . And I heard something about a Big Poisonous Snake ? too . But this was years ago , they were looking for drivers back then . If I hadn't had my daughter I might have tried it . Definitely an Adventure , pretty sure . ... But I have had a couple of Queensland Heelers , still have one .

Wedgetail,
You can now say that you have done your part for the AU economy. I ordered the woomera in fawn and a fawn campdraft I have been putting off as well. Might as well combined the shipping as both will be a three month wait.

wedgetail

New in Town
Thanks Wedgetail , I'm no stranger to the top side of a horse and have seen the bottom , too a few times . We had ( yeah Had) Horses and Cattle , and I broke and rode horses for people . Had friends that rodeoed , one made it to the PRCA World finals in Vegas Bull Riding , but almost didn't make it out (he's crazy) Alive , he Hung Up ... . He was one of the featured Wrecks on a Major NetWork TV Sports Medicine Special . *cough* it was BAD .

A guy tried to get me to go to AU to haul cattle out of the stations , but ... I didn't go . I heard some stories that didn't sound fun (but it could have been), though it would have been interesting . Those Racks look dangerous (Like Trains !) along with the "roads ?" getting in and out of there . And I heard something about a Big Poisonous Snake ? too . But this was years ago , they were looking for drivers back then . If I hadn't had my daughter I might have tried it . Definitely an Adventure , pretty sure . ... But I have had a couple of Queensland Heelers , still have one .
Well you're probably a better horseman than me... I like horses but only have one (everyone else here is way into double figures) as I have too many other areas vying for time! Hauling cattle in the top end would be a wild job, but IMO if you want to drive trucks it would be awesome. They run triple road trains up there up to 175' long, basically three singles and two converter dollies. Yeah the roads are rough and climate extreme but the trucks are built for it and they've got it all worked out. Yeah most snakes here will kill you but they don't really feature in day to day life even in the bush.

Funnily enough all I could find of me wearing my wider hats are on a horse - bit disproportionate as I don't get out on him that much, just to keep him active or when we need meat.

P1030101_zpsousl1ye8.jpg

IMG_0675_3_zpsw52vwswv.png

EampH_766_zps6c5fuzvl.jpg

Mm25

One Too Many
Wedgetail,
I copied this from another thread. The hats a store brand. It sat it my brother-in-law's closet for 30 years until I liberated it. I've changed the bash a few times, not sure how I like it best, it's all ok as long as the crown stays tall!

From Cains Western Wear, Corpus Christy, 100% imported fur, from the early 8 0's

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
wedgetail , Sweet Red Bay ! Yeah , In my mind cattle , triples , and long semi(basically none) roads didn't add up , but they're trailers may not be like ours (decks , upper , lower , front and back , and crazy) (actually I'm sure they can't be , ours are low), if they stumble all one way you're going over . I heard the Trucks were especially made for the load and terrain , everything , but TRIPLES ? That was the freakiest , doubles would be bad enough . I heard bad stories of triples , and saw some , the back trailer can get the whip effect . I guess they haul before the rainy season , I hope . Nice Hats and Horse , it looks like a Great Place to ride . What do you hunt besides Rabbits ? I heard AU was over-run and infested with Rabbits , dingos couldn't control them .

... I saw the man from snowy river ! (I know its just a movie , but I've seen the guys from Down Under that ride the circuit) (Thats where I spotted my first Akubra in 1978 , I think) I'm sure you ride well ! I'm older , now , but would ride , health just isn't super , but I still could and would love it . I thought about buying a horse or two a couple of years ago , but ... thought better of it . Not a good time . But I miss it . The Woomera looks like a killer Hat ! I almost ordered mine last night , pretty sure I will . The sand I've seen looked darker than in the pictures , and they're in stock ready to ship , but the Santone Fawn look great .

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Well you're probably a better horseman than me... I like horses but only have one (everyone else here is way into double figures) as I have too many other areas vying for time! Hauling cattle in the top end would be a wild job, but IMO if you want to drive trucks it would be awesome. They run triple road trains up there up to 175' long, basically three singles and two converter dollies. Yeah the roads are rough and climate extreme but the trucks are built for it and they've got it all worked out. Yeah most snakes here will kill you but they don't really feature in day to day life even in the bush.

Funnily enough all I could find of me wearing my wider hats are on a horse - bit disproportionate as I don't get out on him that much, just to keep him active or when we need meat.

P1030101_zpsousl1ye8.jpg

What a beautiful bay! Duns and bays are my favorite horses.

wedgetail

New in Town
Wedgetail,
I copied this from another thread. The hats a store brand. It sat it my brother-in-law's closet for 30 years until I liberated it. I've changed the bash a few times, not sure how I like it best, it's all ok as long as the crown stays tall!

From Cains Western Wear, Corpus Christy, 100% imported fur, from the early 8 0's
Very nice - I like the bash a lot

wedgetail , Sweet Red Bay ! Yeah , In my mind cattle , triples , and long semi(basically none) roads didn't add up , but they're trailers may not be like ours (decks , upper , lower , front and back , and crazy) (actually I'm sure they can't be , ours are low), if they stumble all one way you're going over . I heard the Trucks were especially made for the load and terrain , everything , but TRIPLES ? That was the freakiest , doubles would be bad enough . I heard bad stories of triples , and saw some , the back trailer can get the whip effect . I guess they haul before the rainy season , I hope . Nice Hats and Horse , it looks like a Great Place to ride . What do you hunt besides Rabbits ? I heard AU was over-run and infested with Rabbits , dingos couldn't control them .

... I saw the man from snowy river ! (I know its just a movie , but I've seen the guys from Down Under that ride the circuit) (Thats where I spotted my first Akubra in 1978 , I think) I'm sure you ride well ! I'm older , now , but would ride , health just isn't super , but I still could and would love it . I thought about buying a horse or two a couple of years ago , but ... thought better of it . Not a good time . But I miss it . The Woomera looks like a killer Hat ! I almost ordered mine last night , pretty sure I will . The sand I've seen looked darker than in the pictures , and they're in stock ready to ship , but the Santone Fawn look great .
Thanks Michael, well he's a good boy. Can be a bit sluggish sometimes but if you wear spurs you don't have to use them - he knows, and at 16hh he's got a bit of go... I love my hats too even if some are "just" a work hat! I've had a sand woomera in the past too - don't be deceived IMO they're pretty light. Still a damn fine hat though!

Don't normally bother with rabbits, they're not too bad round here unlike some areas. Might get a couple out the window if I'm out of dog meat now and then but that's about it - that's a 45-70 hanging off the saddle, a bit too much lead for rabbit. No dingos round here - they're generally way out as they get trapped a fair bit. Mainly go out for deer, but as is common there's a wild pig problem so I do my bit if I see any and take the odd goat too - there are heaps of them but they bring good money if you muster them up and we get free access to lamb so not much point. The fallow deer eat pretty good though. In theory you need a permit to shoot roos but their numbers are high so they get thinned a bit too and they eat well too. The foxes need keeping at bay as they hit lambs hard, cause trouble for carving heifers and beat the native wildlife up pretty bad, along with feral cats and dogs

Don't hear many stories of the trucks tipping due to cattle behaviour - only driver error. They are double deck but should be loaded tight enough so they can't all cram one side. I guess the trucks are mostly the same - kenworth has a plant here but the rest are imported. Main differences are lengths, RHD and cooling systems. They do advise 6 rod trucks and spring dollies with the multi combos though - air bags roll too much. Never driven a multi (my licence is only for singles) but I've driven past (need over 1km free to overtake) a few and they can sway a bit but don't whip too bad unless something's wrong. Yeah nothing moves in the wet season, apart from boats...

What a beautiful bay! Duns and bays are my favorite horses.
Thanks! I do agree - bays are best and wouldn't mind a dun either...

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Very nice - I like the bash a lot

Thanks Michael, well he's a good boy. Can be a bit sluggish sometimes but if you wear spurs you don't have to use them - he knows, and at 16hh he's got a bit of go... I love my hats too even if some are "just" a work hat! I've had a sand woomera in the past too - don't be deceived IMO they're pretty light. Still a damn fine hat though!

Don't normally bother with rabbits, they're not too bad round here unlike some areas. Might get a couple out the window if I'm out of dog meat now and then but that's about it - that's a 45-70 hanging off the saddle, a bit too much lead for rabbit. No dingos round here - they're generally way out as they get trapped a fair bit. Mainly go out for deer, but as is common there's a wild pig problem so I do my bit if I see any and take the odd goat too - there are heaps of them but they bring good money if you muster them up and we get free access to lamb so not much point. The fallow deer eat pretty good though. In theory you need a permit to shoot roos but their numbers are high so they get thinned a bit too and they eat well too. The foxes need keeping at bay as they hit lambs hard, cause trouble for carving heifers and beat the native wildlife up pretty bad, along with feral cats and dogs

Don't hear many stories of the trucks tipping due to cattle behaviour - only driver error. They are double deck but should be loaded tight enough so they can't all cram one side. I guess the trucks are mostly the same - kenworth has a plant here but the rest are imported. Main differences are lengths, RHD and cooling systems. They do advise 6 rod trucks and spring dollies with the multi combos though - air bags roll too much. Never driven a multi (my licence is only for singles) but I've driven past (need over 1km free to overtake) a few and they can sway a bit but don't whip too bad unless something's wrong. Yeah nothing moves in the wet season, apart from boats...

Thanks! I do agree - bays are best and wouldn't mind a dun either...

16 Hands ! How Tall are you wedgetail ?! He looks like 14-14.5 in the pic ! Still looks like he's in good shape . TX is covered up with wild hogs , we have some down in the Tully by the Mississippi River , but they're Eurasian Wild Hogs , deer were almost wiped out during the Great Depression 1929-1948/9 , but now they're everywhere . Ducks are big here , too , Mississippi Fly Way . But a lot of game birds like quail are almost gone , doves are good , Coyotes crossed the river back in 1968 when the bridges got built , and are thick . At night they start howling and packing up , that's all you hear some nights . I live out in the country on our farm , not far from the Bottoms (Swamps) .

Nice Hats , you clean up Brother ! You'd never know you weren't a City Slicker ! Nice Fedora , Akubra Sidney ? or Stylemaster ? ... I always like a Good Bay , or Dun myself , but a Good Horse is #1 , 2 , and 3 , if you know what I mean ? Color is down the line , but Australia has some Nice Horses . Do they still have the Wild horses there ? The government is trying to kill our Wild Horses , and the Best Come from Oregon , Utah , around there , the Mustangs in the south are small , but a few are fair . But I love a Good Bay or Dun myself , but some of my Best have been Roans , a Blue , and a Red . A little gentle Bay Philly , you would never have thought would give you any trouble riding , could have been a Bronc in the rodeo ! She bucked until she was out of gas , then would ride until she got her wind back and she started again , never got her to stop . Others you think are going to be problems , don't give you any . I guess its just born in em . I took it slow , but some just don't want anybody on their backs . Then others can be tough and turn out in the long run to be top notch , I always heard you could see it in their eyes , but some maybe , others its just the way they're wired .

I heard y'all had a problem and outlawed cats , and were trying to get rid of them , and the rabbit poisoning thing , they have tried everything with them . Rabbits and hogs , breed fast and one sow can turn into thousands , pretty fast .

I figured the trucks and trailers were made special to take it , pulling three trailers full of cattle even on a hwy is a LOAD ! One is ! Yeah , the rollovers I've seen were driver error , they fell asleep or ran off the shoulder and pulled it back too fast , the tighter they're packed the better it is , government regulates weight , but depending on where you are , as long as you're not crossing a scale or check point , load em , and GO !

Great Hats and Horse wedgetail

Last edited:
Lastly my faithful work hat - a Woomera. I've worn this almost every day (bar weekends the last two years) for 11 years. I've been a farm mechanic for the last 4 and it must have absorbed enough UV to give any human deadly melanomas many times over and has it's fair share of sweat, dust, grease and blood. But as the crown is about to fall out it is time for it to retire to a wall of fame.

image_zpszxghtxry.jpg

Awesome!!
Now that is how to wear a hat! I use my silverbelly Campdraft like that, the dirtier and greasier it gets, the better I like it.

wedgetail

New in Town
16 Hands ! How Tall are you wedgetail ?! He looks like 14-14.5 in the pic ! Still looks like he's in good shape .

Nice Hats , you clean up Brother ! You'd never know you weren't a City Slicker ! Nice Fedora , Akubra Sidney ? or Stylemaster ? ... I always like a Good Bay , or Dun myself , but a Good Horse is #1 , 2 , and 3 , if you know what I mean ? Color is down the line , but Australia has some Nice Horses . Do they still have the Wild horses there ?

Great Hats and Horse wedgetail
Actually remembering different now - he was listed at 16 but I measured an inch under, close enough... I'm pretty much bang on 6', must be the photo angles... Yeah he's in good shape, he's 10 now. Starting to get real dry here but they let us take as much hay as needed so long as we have less than 4 horses. Yeah colour is second to everything else, still you can't ignore looks though. Yeah there are wild horses here - called brumbies, even recognised as a breed. Of course extremely hardy with very good feet and horse-horse temperament - they know their place. People often breed them into their stock lines for various reasons. They get culled every now and then but numbers are healthy I believe. None round us though.

RE city slicker - there was a time I would have taken insult to that, but now I take it as a complement - thanks! Sometimes I wish I had of a chance to "clean up", but I guess I had a cleaner up bringing... It's a Stylemaster, bought for my wedding and still haven't worn it again :(

Awesome!!
Now that is how to wear a hat! I use my silverbelly Campdraft like that, the dirtier and greasier it gets, the better I like it.
Thanks! Yeah can't beat a good patina... Only thing I don't like is large swathes of blue/green (well any really) grease - gets everywhere.

Finally finished my brother's watch last night so can continue on plaiting the band for the new woomera!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Actually remembering different now - he was listed at 16 but I measured an inch under, close enough... I'm pretty much bang on 6', must be the photo angles... Yeah he's in good shape, he's 10 now. Starting to get real dry here but they let us take as much hay as needed so long as we have less than 4 horses. Yeah colour is second to everything else, still you can't ignore looks though. Yeah there are wild horses here - called brumbies, even recognised as a breed. Of course extremely hardy with very good feet and horse-horse temperament - they know their place. People often breed them into their stock lines for various reasons. They get culled every now and then but numbers are healthy I believe. None round us though.

RE city slicker - there was a time I would have taken insult to that, but now I take it as a complement - thanks! Sometimes I wish I had of a chance to "clean up", but I guess I had a cleaner up bringing... It's a Stylemaster, bought for my wedding and still haven't worn it again :(

Finally finished my brother's watch last night so can continue on plaiting the band for the new woomera!

Yeah , me , too on the : City Slicker thing , but I meant it as a compliment . I looked at the pictures again , just in that one in your old hat (I think it was the perspective) , he looked shorter , but being 6' tall gives more to the Hands thing , too . I'm anxious to see how your New Woomera turns out .

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
... Well , I started to order the same as mach , Taupe Fawn Camp Draft and Santone Fawn Woomera , but I thought 3 months ... hmmm . What about a Sand Woomera , and Fawn Camp Draft ? Two orders on EA , then went to hatsdirect.com (The Hattery) , no Woomera , but they showed the Taupe Fawn Camp Draft (didn't say any wait) so I ordered it , we'll see if there's a wait . I figure if a wait , or not , once I find out , I may order The Woomera in Sand (Its summer almost) (no wait), then in Santone Fawn (3 month wait) . Makes no sense really , now that I think about it , but What does ? I've wanted both , or really all four , Two Woomera's in Sand and Fawn , Two Camp Drafts in Fawn , and BGG (not offered at hatsdirect.com , but offered and no wait on EA), ... maybe SB , too (wait on that at EA) . ... if hatsdirect.com has a wait , too , I'll know better next time . I could have ordered both at hatsbythe100.com , with no wait , but after the bad reviews , no chance .

Trying to get Church and town Hats , but the urge for wide brim Westerns is still tough ... , my eyeballs kept looking at the Loden Rough Rider , the Sand Arena , but I know I would like The Woomera in either color , really all the colors , but I'm not going there , two max this trip . And I've seen Sand in person , Santone Fawn only on the video and the sites . Trying to pace myself , I'm not out and about that much , in town anyway . So first Camp Draft is in the pipeline (and Premier Strat , too).

wedgetail

New in Town
yeah the wait is a pain, I feel your indecision - I was in a real bind trying to decide when I wanted. I also thought about the rough rider in loden but still a wait, along with arena in tanbark brown. But as you say - it all comes down to the woomera, and if you're going to wait might as well get it. I would have got sand but my wife isn't keen on "white" hats... Anyway, tanbark brown is worth the wait and at least you've got a camp draft coming! What size are you? I could keep my eye on aus. ebay for a deal like mine, also could give akubra a call and see if they have any in stock in your size and colour in the styles you're interest in? Sometimes you can get lucky then just get the supplier of your choice to get it in...

Well I didn't get to do any more plaiting, had to rewire the clippers... Here is the band's current form, will look better once I've got a bit of dye into it
image_zpsc9h20eva.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Yeah , Thanks wedgetail , Sand is coolest (almost like Silver Belly), but gets smudged , the Santone Fawn won't , Tanbark is sharp , but almost Black . I've got my Black Resistol , it still looks okay , the older stetson in Loden disappeared , but one Resistol Straw was done the other needed a new sweat band and some work . I'm 59 cm , great ideas . Waiting on stuff three months , I can see how folks forget what they have coming . Boy that's going to look great on that Woomera of yours ! The importer of Akubra in North America (US for sure) is David Morgan , but they don't carry all the styles and we have one that I never see offered in AU , but I'm sure they're around , The Bushman . It's a great Hat , it was my smallest for a while (3 1/4" Brim) . Then I got a Stetson Open Road , 2 3/4" Brim , but really low crown , I had to add cutter creases in the side dents just to get it down on my noggin right . I'm actually 58.5 cm and the OR is still big size wise . The Akubra shrunk down to size , they recommended leather conditioner , its good on all Leather sweats . I think its just leather , the Heritage I think have Sheepskin sweat bands .

I'll see what happens , then I'll figure out which color or colors to go for , I had a dream about it last night , but can't remember it . I was TIRED , Really Tired . Oh , I was going to say I'm a shrimp , used to be 5'9" , but I shrunk ... 5'8" , now , and skinny , but I've gained some weight , my Daughter didn't say a word about needing to eat . Her and the babies were here this weekend visiting , Great Weekend , just tuckered me OUT !

What kind of leather are you using ? Doesn't look like Bull Hide , more like sheep , or Roo . Nice Job !

... Well , I started to order the same as mach , Taupe Fawn Camp Draft and Santone Fawn Woomera , but I thought 3 months ... hmmm . What about a Sand Woomera , and Fawn Camp Draft ? Two orders on EA , then went to hatsdirect.com (The Hattery) , no Woomera , but they showed the Taupe Fawn Camp Draft (didn't say any wait) so I ordered it , we'll see if there's a wait . I figure if a wait , or not , once I find out , I may order The Woomera in Sand (Its summer almost) (no wait), then in Santone Fawn (3 month wait) . Makes no sense really , now that I think about it , but What does ? I've wanted both , or really all four , Two Woomera's in Sand and Fawn , Two Camp Drafts in Fawn , and BGG (not offered at hatsdirect.com , but offered and no wait on EA), ... maybe SB , too (wait on that at EA) . ... if hatsdirect.com has a wait , too , I'll know better next time ...
Here's the situation as I understand it. Hats Direct/The Hattery sells hats. Period. So they will almost always have the hat you/I/we want in stock, and can ship almost immediately. Everything Australian, on the other hand, sells a wide variety of items and doesn't have the space to keep every size of every item they sell in stock, so if they're out of stock on the hat you/I/we want in your/my/our size they have to order it from Akubra, at which point Akubra makes the hat to fill the order, which is why it can take up to three months. So, under normal circumstances, that's the trade-off--order from Hats Direct and get it sooner but pay more, or order from Everything Australian and pay less but risk having to wait three months.

Also, the Bluegrass Green Campdraft does appear to be an Everything Australian exclusive, just as the Federation IV is a Hats Direct/The Hattery exclusive, so you/I/we have no choice with regards to who we order those hats from.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
... Well , I started to order the same as mach {it was Mm25 , sorry} , Taupe Fawn Camp Draft and Santone Fawn Woomera , but I thought 3 months ... hmmm . What about a Sand Woomera , and Fawn Camp Draft ? Two orders on EA , then went to hatsdirect.com (The Hattery) , no Woomera , but they showed the Taupe Fawn Camp Draft (didn't say any wait) so I ordered it , we'll see if there's a wait . I figure if a wait , or not , once I find out , I may order The Woomera in Sand (Its summer almost) (no wait), then in Santone Fawn (3 month wait) . Makes no sense really , now that I think about it , but What does ? I've wanted both , or really all four , Two Woomera's in Sand and Fawn , Two Camp Drafts in Fawn , and BGG (not offered at hatsdirect.com , but offered and no wait on EA), ... maybe SB , too (wait on that at EA) . ... if hatsdirect.com has a wait , too , I'll know better next time . I could have ordered both at hatsbythe100.com , with no wait , but after the bad reviews , no chance .

Trying to get Church and town Hats , but the urge for wide brim Westerns is still tough ... , my eyeballs kept looking at the Loden Rough Rider , the Sand Arena , but I know I would like The Woomera in either color , really all the colors , but I'm not going there , two max this trip . And I've seen Sand in person , Santone Fawn only on the video and the sites . Trying to pace myself , I'm not out and about that much , in town anyway . So first Camp Draft is in the pipeline (and Premier Strat , too).

WHOOPS ! My mistake ! It was Mm25 , not 1mach1 , that ordered them ! Sorry !

If you're gonna get an Akubra from Everything Australian, just plan ahead.

"just plan ahead " for for head . Ha ! Boy I have been Tired ! Getting confusing , and waiting , too . I guess we fell into the "Gotta get it now , and have it now" trap , or I did .

Eliesti

A-List Customer
I just ordered a BG CD from EA. There was an error with the website processing my order and two orders went through. I emailed Sam through the website but have not gotten a response. I have heard he has great customer service but am disappointed I have not gotten a response. This is my first order from EA. Does anyone have a direct email for him? Phone is not an easy option due to international calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24