Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Eliesti

A-List Customer
I love the color (Bluegrass Green), but I live in a small town in the middle of NOWHERE. The nearest hat shop is HOURS away and I have no idea where I'd get the crown shaped. Being a newb, I'm a little insecure about buying an open crown hat and attempting to do it myself...suggestions?
Thanks Michael and God bless!

I dry bashed my Bluegrass Green Campdraft after just watching a few videos online. It looks damn good if I do say so myself!

Here it is after a rain and in a few pics after it dried.

If you get an open crown and give it a go, I promise you'll be fine.

862e6e1bfcb26f15620478ae983ae4a8.jpg
fb165f278e5d50af31997014ddb4aacc.jpg
add6db3278eb5137e6a2b6130352f0fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkingrph

Practically Family
There used to be a gentleman in our small town that made custom hats, but he passed away many years ago, so the closest place is about 60 miles from me . I have gotten several of the open crown Campdraft hats and shaped them myself, one in a simple center dent, one somewhat like a cattlemens crease, but softer and finally a couple, my bluegrass green done in a bash like shown earlier in this thread. I simply wet it, shape it and let dry. If not pleased wet and shape again.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Once you start doing your own creases on Open Crown Hats , the factory creases look artificial , ... most of them . As moon says , he likes Organic . AKA : not perfect , but more natural . They actually look better . Plus you can say I creased it myself (bragging rights) , especially if they ask , and compliment you on a Nice Hat . Some guys like one style , some go with many styles depending on the Hats .

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I dry bashed my Bluegrass Green Campdraft after just watching a few videos online. It looks damn good if I do say so myself!

I day so to! Love what you did to that crown. Makes me want to change mine.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family

Nice looking hat and great job on the crease.

Fed

I love the color (Bluegrass Green), but I live in a small town in the middle of NOWHERE. The nearest hat shop is HOURS away and I have no idea where I'd get the crown shaped. Being a newb, I'm a little insecure about buying an open crown hat and attempting to do it myself...suggestions?
At the risk of sounding like a Nike ad, just do it. As Michael R. wrote above, it really is relatively easy. Like him, I start by shaping the crown dry just to get an idea of how the crease will look on that specific hat. But I spray *distilled water onto the hat at room temperature with a spray bottle, let it soak into the felt for a moment or two, then refine the crease and set the hat aside to dry. The felt holds the new shape as it dries, though sometimes the brim will require a second or third shaping before it gets the idea. Regardless of whether you use steam or water (or get caught in a rainstorm, which is something Akubras enjoy), the one thing you never want to do is use a heat source such as a blow dryer or space heater to dry the felt faster; it can cause the felt to shrink.

*You can use tap water if your city or town doesn't put too many chemicals in the water. They put all kinds of stuff in ours here, and I'm concerned it might stain the felt as it dries which is why I recommend distilled water.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
At the risk of sounding like a Nike ad, just do it. As Michael R. wrote above, it really is relatively easy. Like him, I start by shaping the crown dry just to get an idea of how the crease will look on that specific hat. But I spray *distilled water onto the hat at room temperature with a spray bottle, let it soak into the felt for a moment or two, then refine the crease and set the hat aside to dry. The felt holds the new shape as it dries, though sometimes the brim will require a second or third shaping before it gets the idea. Regardless of whether you use steam or water (or get caught in a rainstorm, which is something Akubras enjoy), the one thing you never want to do is use a heat source such as a blow dryer or space heater to dry the felt faster; it can cause the felt to shrink.

*You can use tap water if your city or town doesn't put too many chemicals in the water. They put all kinds of stuff in ours here, and I'm concerned it might stain the felt as it dries which is why I recommend distilled water.

Listen to Al , he told you an easy second or first option , plus other important info I left off . Thanks Zom

And I'll add , I wasted a lot of money for Hats costing 3X as much and got a Way Inferior Hat compared to the Akubra Campdraft , and you don't have to baby them either . When you get one it should feel loose , just add the foam sizing as much as you need , then in 2-3 weeks it will have shrunk enough to remove it , and it might take another week to feel totally right . But rain is your friend as long as you take Al's advice on proper drying , it will conform to your head like a custom fitted Hat . Drying it properly is the key , but that's with any Hat .

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Bought a new Campdraft today in light brown (whatever they call it) the felt is much better than I'm used to with recent Akubras. Nice and firm and soft. In recent years I have been disappointed in Akubra felt. The felt they used back in the 1980's when I first started buying them new was much better.

RJR

Listen to Al , he told you an easy second or first option , plus other important info I left off . Thanks Zom

And I'll add , I wasted a lot of money for Hats costing 3X as much and got a Way Inferior Hat compared to the Akubra Campdraft , and you don't have to baby them either . When you get one it should feel loose , just add the foam sizing as much as you need , then in 2-3 weeks it will have shrunk enough to remove it , and it might take another week to feel totally right . But rain is your friend as long as you take Al's advice on proper drying , it will conform to your head like a custom fitted Hat . Drying it properly is the key , but that's with any Hat .
Agree.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Michael and God bless!
I know what you mean, but they're pretty tough hats and the creasing's a lot easier than you think it'll be. When I got my first open-crown I was afraid I'd screw it up, but I was surprised how easy it was. If it isn't right the first time it doesn't matter: you can just mess with it until you've got it the way you want it. You can't really do them permanent harm by shaping the crown with your fingers. Once you start, you'll see what we're talking about.

wedgetail

New in Town
ok so here's my latest akubra - a sombrero. I got it off nugar trading for AU$115 but that was after a fight due to a previous order. I had to bully him into keeping his word and I can safely say he is bordering on being a crook and at the least is a very difficult, lying and forgetful person. I would not advise using the store...

Anyway, I do at least have a second work hat now. I love the new woomera, but almost too much. I can bring myself to abusing it and also the sombrero colour leads itself better to being dirty. Besides if I rotate them they'll last even longer (should got 20years plus between the pair).

Out of the box it doesn't do much for me.
image_zpsj1z1ev5w.jpg

So I pulled the sides down, gave the front more curl and pulled the band off. The glue slowly peels off with a finger nail but I'll put a 3/4" leather band over it so I didn't go too far. Shame they have to glue it though.
image_zpsyyj80g3d.jpg

I've ummed and arghed for a while about a bash and have gone for this. Not necessarily 100% on it yet though so it may change...
image_zpsucbuox61.jpg

The band will be this red hide (well red hide look a like) probably split in two joined by two brass rings and Kimberely knots, similar to the band on an Akubra Pilbara.
image_zpssr5xqfpo.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up

That looks great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner