Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Very nice, guys.

Am writing to the Hattery right now, to buy my next Akubra in January when I visit Sydney.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
CsxQz1Lh.jpg

6PotpZZh.jpg

Willybob

A-List Customer
does anyone have an R.M. Williams Akubra. I am interested in how that model compares to the Camp Draft in crown height and brim width.

does anyone have an R.M. Williams Akubra. I am interested in how that model compares to the Camp Draft in crown height and brim width.
Assuming this is the hat you're referring to, as far as I know it is essentially a Campdraft with a relatively flat (unflanged) brim, and the "Mid Brown" color (actually a dark brown) is exclusive to R.M. Williams. @Frunobulax has one, maybe he'll be kind enough to share his opinions with you.

Assuming this is the hat you're referring to, as far as I know it is essentially a Campdraft with a relatively flat (unflanged) brim, and the "Mid Brown" color (actually a dark brown) is exclusive to R.M. Williams. @Frunobulax has one, maybe he'll be kind enough to share his opinions with you.

I believe Rick @rclark has one.

I have an Akubra Campdraft in Mid Brown but Akubra no longer offers that color.

I think what Rick and I have is slightly different. What I have (a gift from Moonie), I think, is a special edition of some sort in "Cedar Brown" that was served open crown. I believe the one featured on the RM Williams site is pre-creased. And interestingly, Jack, the listing shows it being offered in Mid-Brown, which I too thought was no longer available.

Regardless, I think it's a fine hat and enjoy wearing it. The Cedar Brown is a rich, dark brown that is pretty versatile, and the felt is nice. I have three CDs: Silverbelly, Bluegrass Green, and this one (which is the higher grade offering). I frankly don't notice a difference in the grades, however.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
I think what Rick and I have is slightly different. What I have (a gift from Moonie), I think, is a special edition of some sort in "Cedar Brown" that was served open crown. I believe the one featured on the RM Williams site is pre-creased. And interestingly, Jack, the listing shows it being offered in Mid-Brown, which I too thought was no longer available.

Regardless, I think it's a fine hat and enjoy wearing it. The Cedar Brown is a rich, dark brown that is pretty versatile, and the felt is nice. I have three CDs: Silverbelly, Bluegrass Green, and this one (which is the higher grade offering). I frankly don't notice a difference in the grades, however.

The "Cedar Brown" seems to be available as the "Campdraft Deluxe" from Hatsdirect.com The Hattery.

https://hatsdirect.com/products/campdraft-deluxe-open-crown?variant=28482331856

Jason West

New in Town
Gentlemen, this is my first post and I would like to enquire as to whether the membership has ever encountered the "Dapper" model?

It appears to my fairly untrained eye to be very similar to the C.E.O. but I can find no mention of the Dapper online.

Akubra%20Dapper%201a.jpg
t

Akubra%20Dapper%201c.jpg
Hi ,the Akubra Dapper was a special order made for Vic Cooper Hats who were at the Royal Arcade 549 Hilton Hotel 255 Pitt St Sydney Australia.Vic Cooper Hats was a very old business that has since ceased to exist.The name "Dapper" came about because the owner of Vic Cooper Hats had a share in the Great Australian Race Horse, "Sir Dapper".The owner decided to bring back a popular hat from the 1930's/40's from the heyday of when massive crowds attended race meetings in Sydney.Photos were looked at from that era of Hats worn by men @ the track and from these old photos the "Dapper" was born.The Dapper was available in 2 colors,Grey and Fern.I know this because in the late 90's I bought two Dappers in Grey from Vic Coopers and spent nearly an hour chatting to the bloke working there and he told me all about the Dapper.When I walked into the store I spotted the Dapper and knew right away it was the hat for me.My only regret is I did not buy one in Fern.

Akubra%20Dapper%201d.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wish they did a black cd
Me, too. I have a black Fed IV that I find quite a bit of use for. In fact, it was a photo of Gary Cooper, in a black fedora with a salt-and-pepper tweed jacket, that got lodged in my brain somehow and led me to this whole business. Black hats don't seem to get a lot of love here, though it was the color of choice before, I believe, the 1930's.

Jason West

New in Town
Gentlemen, this is my first post and I would like to enquire as to whether the membership has ever encountered the "Dapper" model?

It appears to my fairly untrained eye to be very similar to the C.E.O. but I can find no mention of the Dapper online.

Akubra%20Dapper%201a.jpg

Akubra%20Dapper%201c.jpg

Akubra%20Dapper%201d.jpg
Jason!
Outstanding first post! Thank you very much for your comprehensive and authoritative answer to my question.
Oh; and welcome to the Fedora Lounge, by the way!
Cheers mate,
LG

And since the hated Photobucket has buggered up the original photos, I hereby post another for posterity...

View attachment 94998

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko