Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
Another beautiful evening at the park with the family accompanied by my favorite sun and rain protector, my Akubra Cattleman in Bran. View attachment 120059

What a great picture! Special congratulations to both of you on the very new little person featured-- and all the work and love and joy of the former new little person, the baseball dude. :)

(The hat's a looker, too. :cool:)

~ S.

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
What a great picture! Special congratulations to both of you on the very new little person featured-- and all the work and love and joy of the former new little person, the baseball dude. :)

(The hat's a looker, too. :cool:)

~ S.

Thank you for your kind words! I am fairly new to Akubra and it has certainly grown on me. I am 2 Cattlemans in. I am on maybe an Angler next.

I gifted my Balmoral to a friend and went to order another one but the Reef looked more fun and a wider brim to boot.

8821be4ef3ad6c8ac2a3b7dbd6563354.jpg

0dc7556abb3d6bf8879f7dc93e1b79b6.jpg

f4927ca103746429159628bfd78545b0.jpg

It’s a great hemp hat but unfortunately they don’t make it with a leather sweat in sizes over 61 and in typical Akubra-ness I have to size up to 62.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
I own a few Akubra hats and all of them get a lot of wear. However, I've never been able to entirely warm up to the silverbelly campdraft. I think the coarseness of the felt was turning me off. Perhaps it was just this batch of felt, as my other Akubras are not nearly as coarse. What gave me awareness of the coarseness was after having worn a couple of Stetson 100% beaver hats, which are far more dense and softer in both appearance and in touch. In researching through the forum, I see recommendations for pounching, e.g. sanding, with 320 grit paper.

I spent ten minutes sanding this hat. The "after" pictures first. Here are three of them. And then three "before" pictures. What do you think? Not sure if the photos capture it, but I'm sensing a distinct improvement, both in visual and in touch. after 1.JPG after 2.JPG after 3.JPG before 1.JPG before 2.JPG before 3.JPG

Trying to get an Akubra Federation or Campdraft used (it's cheaper than new and I prefer "lived in" hats anyway). Where can I find one in a 7 1 2 or 5/8? Which is better of the two for a classic 30s look?

Not a bad choice between them. Personal preferences on bound VS raw, thin VS wide, dimensional vs constant, etc. In those sizes you might have to look a awhile. You’ll probably not save much buying used.

Trying to get an Akubra Federation or Campdraft used (it's cheaper than new and I prefer "lived in" hats anyway). Where can I find one in a 7 1 2 or 5/8? Which is better of the two for a classic 30s look?
I agree with RJR. The Fed IV probably has more of "the look" that most people would associate with the 1930s, but I own three of each and I don't think you can go wrong either way. As far as where to find one used, you could post a "Want To Buy" request in the Classifieds forum here. Otherwise it's the usual online auction sites like eBay, Etsy, etc..

With regards to "lived in", if you're referring to a hat that's more comfortable because it's been broken in, I can't disagree. But if you're looking for an Akubra that looks like it's been lived in, good luck. My oldest Akubra is almost 10 years old; it's been in my regular rotation the whole time, I've worn it as a work hat and sweated through the felt, it's been soaked thoroughly in rainstorms two or three times, and I'm still waiting for it to attain that "lived in" look.

v79sxft.jpg

Mine looks as good now as it did the day I got it; maybe better. Tough stuff, these Akubras.

I agree with RJR. The Fed IV probably has more of "the look" that most people would associate with the 1930s, but I own three of each and I don't think you can go wrong either way. As far as where to find one used, you could post a "Want To Buy" request in the Classifieds forum here. Otherwise it's the usual online auction sites like eBay, Etsy, etc..

With regards to "lived in", if you're referring to a hat that's more comfortable because it's been broken in, I can't disagree. But if you're looking for an Akubra that looks like it's been lived in, good luck. My oldest Akubra is almost 10 years old; it's been in my regular rotation the whole time, I've worn it as a work hat and sweated through the felt, it's been soaked thoroughly in rainstorms two or three times, and I'm still waiting for it to attain that "lived in" look.

v79sxft.jpg

Mine looks as good now as it did the day I got it; maybe better. Tough stuff, these Akubras.

Well, Zombie, at least you seem to have that "lived in" look.

v79sxft.jpg

I’m looking forward to the 2058 photos where you will still look the same. Witchcraft no doubt.

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
Hello all, new guy here. I've lurked for many years, but finally decided to join the Fedoralounge. I bought my first Akubra, a Slouch hat, about 6 or 7 years ago. Here is a shot of me wearing it up in the High Sierra:
IMG_0012s-XL.jpg

My second Akubra was the Cattleman, which I got a year later. Apologies for anyone offended by the revolver, I was going for an arty shot, like a modern-day Western sort of look:
686SSRcs-XL.jpg

My most recent Akubra is another slouch, that I just got a few days ago. I still have my original, but I really liked the size of my 59 Cattleman more than my 58 Slouch, so I got a second Slouch in 59. I ordered it from David Morgan with the "military" bash, but I didn't care for it in person. The photos I see of all the slouch hats in Burma, etc., during WWII, had a much narrower center crease than the one David Morgan puts in. I ended up changing the military bash to my own pinched telescope an hour ago. I like it much better. I also changed out the puggaree that comes with the hat to a much more authentic puggaree I ordered from a company in Australia. I haven't taken any photos yet of my new Slouch, but I'm very happy with the look. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Doug

Hello all, new guy here. I've lurked for many years, but finally decided to join the Fedoralounge. I bought my first Akubra, a Slouch hat, about 6 or 7 years ago. Here is a shot of me wearing it up in the High Sierra:
IMG_0012s-XL.jpg

My second Akubra was the Cattleman, which I got a year later. Apologies for anyone offended by the revolver, I was going for an arty shot, like a modern-day Western sort of look:
686SSRcs-XL.jpg

My most recent Akubra is another slouch, that I just got a few days ago. I still have my original, but I really liked the size of my 59 Cattleman more than my 58 Slouch, so I got a second Slouch in 59. I ordered it from David Morgan with the "military" bash, but I didn't care for it in person. The photos I see of all the slouch hats in Burma, etc., during WWII, had a much narrower center crease than the one David Morgan puts in. I ended up changing the military bash to my own pinched telescope an hour ago. I like it much better. I also changed out the puggaree that comes with the hat to a much more authentic puggaree I ordered from a company in Australia. I haven't taken any photos yet of my new Slouch, but I'm very happy with the look. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Doug

Welcome! You’re off to a great start with your Akubras. I will say that I am offended by the revolver... you couldn’t find something vintage prior to the lock on the side plate? [emoji6]. At least it’s a Smith and not a Colt!

Dog, revolver, hats, and the Sierras.... my kind of guy.

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
Thanks Deadly! And well-played on the S&W remark. ;) I actually no longer have that 686SSR in the photo. I replaced it with a Model 66-8, 2.75".

Dogs are my passion. The pup in the photo is Vixen, my 12 year old Malinois. She was my backpacking partner for a number of years, but now her hips aren't up to long hikes. We also still have my male, Ari, who is a GSD/ Malinois cross. He was my partner at work for 6 years and is now 11 years old. So they are both getting up there in years.

But back to hats, somewhere in my future I think I see a Panama hat. I still need to do some more research on what brand and style I'm after, but it'll be a ways down the road.

Thanks Deadly! And well-played on the S&W remark. ;) I actually no longer have that 686SSR in the photo. I replaced it with a Model 66-8, 2.75".

Dogs are my passion. The pup in the photo is Vixen, my 12 year old Malinois. She was my backpacking partner for a number of years, but now her hips aren't up to long hikes. We also still have my male, Ari, who is a GSD/ Malinois cross. He was my partner at work for 6 years and is now 11 years old. So they are both getting up there in years.

But back to hats, somewhere in my future I think I see a Panama hat. I still need to do some more research on what brand and style I'm after, but it'll be a ways down the road.

Jedi,

Work dog ehh? Am I getting the right reading between the lines? I’m eclectic with my revolvers, but I prefer blue steel, pinned barrels, and recessed chambers. I once owned a 66 but traded it off long ago. I have a 19 with a 2.5” barrel. Today I’m off camping and I’m carrying a GP-100 in 44 Special (it’s a rugged beast and I won’t worry about it like I would a Smith).

Ah, Panama hats. I get the need and I can appreciate the time and artistry that goes into making them. What I can’t do is get excited about them. They just don’t have the personality that felt does and my track record with their longevity isn’t inspiring.

I hope you stick around the Lounge, just stay away from those leather jacket people in the other forum...dangerous folks they are.

Brent

Hello all, new guy here. I've lurked for many years, but finally decided to join the Fedoralounge... I bought my first Akubra, a Slouch hat, about 6 or 7 years ago. Here is a shot of me wearing it up in the High Sierra:
IMG_0012s-XL.jpg

686SSRcs-XL.jpg

Doug
First, welcome to The Lounge! I have a feeling you'll fit in well here. Second, great photo! Beautiful scenery with no hint of "civilization" in sight, and a loving dog by your side. Wonderful! Third, not offended by the revolver at all as long as you aren't aiming at me. ;)

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
Brent, Al, and Blackthorn, I appreciate the kind words, and thanks for the welcome!

Brent, you are correct in your assumptions:D, and a 44 Special would server you well, should it ever need to, haha! I appreciate the head's up about longevity of Panama hats. That's something I hadn't considered and didn't realize was an issue.

Blackthorn, I'll definitely post some pictures of my new Slouch. It will be seeing quite a bit of use in the coming months, and I'm looking forward to wearing it in. I love your Mark Twain quote about slouch hats. ;)

Doug

Modad2010

New in Town
Hello All, I came across the Lounge back in December and what I learned from lurking here helped me decide on my first "real hat", an Akubra Banjo Patterson in fawn. I'd always worn baseball caps as I went through school and raised my kids and just got rather tired of them. I really love everything about the BP - the color, the crown height and shape. I purchased the hat in January and have since picked up 2 of the cattleman hats from ebay, one in a darker gray and one in a medium toned brown. I like the cattleman, but prefer the crown of the Banjo Patterson. What I am really looking for is something very similar to my BP in a lighter color with a larger brim to wear while fly fishing. (tired of sun burned ears and neck) From what I been able to gather from my research I might be looking for a Tablelands in sand or sorrel tan. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points