Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

This was a new one to me: Akubra Grazier. The crown is soft like a fedora, but I’m keeping it open crown.

92450B85-82CA-4858-B100-1098AAFA9DFF.jpeg
9A971596-9C80-481D-8E4C-FEA3815A8CED.jpeg
9BDC7A0F-ECF2-4D3D-96CF-938CBB832452.jpeg
3A4778FD-E3A3-49DE-9313-2654115212E9.jpeg
9934F2E9-BEBA-4905-BFA6-78EE93775E5E.jpeg
018D42E9-1840-4D8B-8107-0BBE97949F6B.jpeg
E9207F73-F35A-4148-BA96-E8339AECC885.jpeg
E10E85E7-D90C-41DF-A55E-F44150C329BC.jpeg
ACFD10EE-579D-4274-859C-A44974E6CAD1.jpeg

This was a new one to me: Akubra Grazier. The crown is soft like a fedora, but I’m keeping it open crown.

View attachment 389493 View attachment 389494 View attachment 389495 View attachment 389496 View attachment 389497 View attachment 389499 View attachment 389500 View attachment 389505 View attachment 389506
Almost bowler-like, I like it.

That’s what I saw too. The curled sides and open crown give it that look. It’s not “my look,” but it makes for a fun change-up.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I've been looking for a sturdy winter hat that I can wear with denim and darker colours, and that will protect me from the elements. I've owned a few Akubras over the years and love their comfort and quality, but I was really on the fence about which model to order - I love the Campdraft but the brim is too small, and I wanted a hat I could shape closer to Western styles than to a Fedora, which I prefer when worn with a suit, or the classic downturned brim Aussie look of my current summer hiking and camping Cattleman.

After a lot of back and forth I finally decided to order this Moonstone Bushman from David Morgan, when I found out they could ship fairly cheaply via USPS to my address in the Swiss Alps (the sun here at altitude is brutal and the main reason I need a wider brim).

Kudos the DM, their service was great and it couldn't have been easier to order, and they shipped super quick; the hat was very well packed, and came with their useful information sheet and a few foam strips they include with all of their hat orders.

I couldn't be happier with my choice, I was really unsure about the colour from photographs, but in person it's a gorgeous medium grey, appearing quite a bit darker and with a bit more bluish tint than in the attached photos.

I put a simple center crease in it dry and wore it out to walk the dog, then dry bashed a Fedora pinch with a diamond crease, then after trying it, decided a pinched telescope was the one that looked best and suited the upturned brim sides. Flat brims don't work for me, and I really dig the Western look on a hat with a high enough crown.

The brim on the Bushman already has a decent curl, so when I steamed in the crease and turned the brim sides up to my taste the brim took on a lovely graceful swoop, just enough to add some flair without being overly flamboyant. I love the traditional Western styles, this size crown and brim really harken back to the days of the Old West and remind me of some of the old Stetsons.

I'm really loving this superb Akubra, and I got a few really emphatic compliments last night when I wore it out to my local after a long walk in the mountains with Nia, my amazing German Shepherd Dog, who as you can see leads a very stressful existence.

It's size 56, one of the only sizes left in stock, and it's so comfortable, for a sturdy decent sized hat it just sits perfectly and I forget I'm wearing it a few moments after putting it on. I can seriously recommend one to anyone who wears a 7 regular or LO, and who wants to grab a really versatile and gorgeous felt that they can style just about any way they want, before they disappear forever.

I don't think there is a similar model out there right now, certainly not at this quality to price ratio. I really don't know why they discontinued it, perhaps all the (justifiable) fuss about the Campdraft had something to do with it? Anyway, here are a few quick pics I took just after steaming in the crease.

IMG_3151.JPG
IMG_3152.JPG
IMG_3153.JPG
IMG_3154.JPG
IMG_3155.JPG
IMG_3158.JPG

Last edited:

glider

A-List Customer
Beautiful hat, I would probably wear it Aussie style, brim down. I like the pinch, actually that last picture is pretty sharp. Nice hat, I may need to get myself one! I believe that hat can be ordered open crown, I might leave it open crown.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Beautiful hat, I would probably wear it Aussie style, brim down. I like the pinch, actually that last picture is pretty sharp. Nice hat, I may need to get myself one! I believe that hat can be ordered open crown, I might leave it open crown.

Yes, it's shipped open crown unless you specify they crease it for you, I believe there's a small up-charge.

David Morgan only has a 55 left in either Moonstone or Nullarbor Tan, which also a beautiful and versatile colour. Hatwrks has a 56 and a 57 in Moonstone but it's ridiculously overpriced, not that I would spend my money there in a million years, anyway.

Reactions: RBH

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I've been looking for a sturdy winter hat that I can wear with denim and darker colours, and that will protect me from the elements. I've owned a few Akubras over the years and love their comfort and quality, but I was really on the fence about which model to order - I love the Campdraft but the brim is too small, and I wanted a hat I could shape closer to Western styles than to a Fedora, which I prefer when worn with a suit, or the classic downturned brim Aussie look of my current summer hiking and camping Cattleman.

After a lot of back and forth I finally decided to order this Moonstone Bushman from David Morgan, when I found out they could ship fairly cheaply via USPS to my address in the Swiss Alps (the sun here at altitude is brutal and the main reason I need a wider brim).

Kudos the DM, their service was great and it couldn't have been easier to order, and they shipped super quick; the hat was very well packed, and came with their useful information sheet and a few foam strips they include with all of their hat orders.

I couldn't be happier with my choice, I was really unsure about the colour from photographs, but in person it's a gorgeous medium grey, appearing quite a bit darker and with a bit more bluish tint than in the attached photos.

I put a simple center crease in it dry and wore it out to walk the dog, then dry bashed a Fedora pinch with a diamond crease, then after trying it, decided a pinched telescope was the one that looked best and suited the upturned brim sides. Flat brims don't work for me, and I really dig the Western look on a hat with a high enough crown.

The brim on the Bushman already has a decent curl, so when I steamed in the crease and turned the brim sides up to my taste the brim took on a lovely graceful swoop, just enough to add some flair without being overly flamboyant. I love the traditional Western styles, this size crown and brim really harken back to the days of the Old West and remind me of some of the old Stetsons.

I'm really loving this superb Akubra, and I got a few really emphatic compliments last night when I wore it out to my local after a long walk in the mountains with Nia, my amazing German Shepherd Dog, who as you can see leads a very stressful existence.

It's size 56, one of the only sizes left in stock, and it's so comfortable, for a sturdy decent sized hat it just sits perfectly and I forget I'm wearing it a few moments after putting it on. I can seriously recommend one to anyone who wears a 7 regular or LO, and who wants to grab a really versatile and gorgeous felt that they can style just about any way they want, before they disappear forever.

I don't think there is a similar model out there right now, certainly not at this quality to price ratio. I really don't know why they discontinued it, perhaps all the (justifiable) fuss about the Campdraft had something to do with it? Anyway, here are a few quick pics I took just after steaming in the crease.

View attachment 390239 View attachment 390240 View attachment 390241 View attachment 390243 View attachment 390244 View attachment 390245

Isn't it nice when something you receive actually lives up to your expectations? You already know that the Akubra is a durable hat, and you did a nice job of shaping it and making it your own. I hope you both get to go on many, many adventures afield!

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Isn't it nice when something you receive actually lives up to your expectations? You already know that the Akubra is a durable hat, and you did a nice job of shaping it and making it your own. I hope you both get to go on many, many adventures afield!

Thanks Woodtroll!

I've also been very lucky with my vintage purchases, in large part due to the incredible amount of information I've gleaned from this site. Returns are a bit tricky for me, due to my location, so I try to do my research before making a purchase.

StoryPNW

Practically Family

View attachment 390239 View attachment 390240 View attachment 390241 View attachment 390243 View attachment 390244 View attachment 390245
Looks great! Akubra really does make some great hats especially for the price, I like that it ended up being more of a western fedora. A Snowy River or Coober Pedy would have been more cowboy hat and less fedora.

Very nice. You wear it well and I really like how you have it shaped. I’m with you on mourning the demise of the Bushman.

Please add your photos to the Bushman thread when you have the time:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/akubra-bushman.58682/page-6

Everything Australian is running a 10% off sale, but the fine print states it doesn’t apply to items already on sale OR to Akubra products. Bummer. However, while looking around and grumbling at the steep increase of pricing as the dollar weakens with inflation, I saw they had one Kentucky Rancher in my size in the sand color. The price was too good to pass up so….

9AE68F4A-C459-4613-A8C1-A7F53F3C5363.jpeg

I’m pretty sure this model has been discontinued.

Everything Australian is running a 10% off sale, but the fine print states it doesn’t apply to items already on sale OR to Akubra products...
I've apparently bought enough hats from them to have my e-mail address added to their list. Every once in a while I'll get an e-mail from them announcing a sale of some form, and Akubra products are rarely (if ever) included. I guess everyone concerned is of the opinion that their regular prices are already low enough...not that I'm arguing that point.

I've apparently bought enough hats from them to have my e-mail address added to their list. Every once in a while I'll get an e-mail from them announcing a sale of some form, and Akubra products are rarely (if ever) included. I guess everyone concerned is of the opinion that their regular prices are already low enough...not that I'm arguing that point.

I imagine there isn’t much markup at their full price. I bought their last Kentucky Rancher. There aren’t any more in any size in either color. The closeout price was better than 10% off anyway.

Dubhousing

New in Town
I think we'd need to know their international prevalence at the time. Perhaps if you were to go through thrift stores in Oz you could find more. However, I can't think of a Member who lives in Australia - do we have any?
Hi, yes, I live in Melbourne.I do find the occasional crusty, mouldy Akubra in an Op Shop as we call them here. Very poor pickings, unlike in the US where I found many good examples. Akubra's are unfortunately made to be worn, to drink in, to watch the cricket in, to sweat in and to eventually die in.

Also some alarming news. It seems Akubra in Australia is following RM Williams' lead by reducing its core offerings and leaving its more wonderful hats to that peculiar hell that they call "special order."

Last edited:
Hi, yes, I live in Melbourne.I do find the occasional crusty, mouldy Akubra in an Op Shop as we call them here. Very poor pickings, unlike in the US where I found many good examples. Akubra's are unfortunately made to be worn, to drink in, to watch the cricket in, to sweat in and to eventually die in.

Also some alarming news. It seems Akubra in Australia is following RM Williams' lead by reducing its core offerings and leaving its more wonderful hats to that peculiar hell that they call "special order."

Tell me about it. I just recieved my black Camp Draft on Christmas Eve eve. I ordered it on May 5.

...Akubra's are unfortunately made to be worn, to drink in, to watch the cricket in, to sweat in and to eventually die in...
And that's exactly what I like about 'em. :cool:

...Also some alarming news. It seems Akubra in Australia is following RM Williams' lead by reducing its core offerings and leaving its more wonderful hats to that peculiar hell that they call "special order."
Unfortunately a lot of companies are doing this, it seems, as a form of fallout from the Covid pandemic. Hopefully things will eventually return to "normal", but who knows when that might be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto