Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
The Federation IV is exclusive to hatsdirect.com , also known as the Hattery
Here is some info from their site.
"The Federation comes "Open Crown" ready for you to shape. Crown height is 5 5/8ths inches (142mm). Made from an original wooden hat block set which have not been used for over 35 years. The brim is dimensional cut to 2 1/2" (63mm) on the sides and 2 3/4" (70mm) front and back.The brim flange is a little flatter than the previous Federation model and will make styling the brim easier"
Thanks, but I meant the tawny one you are wearing in the photo. I like the height of that one.

I meant how tall is the crown after you bashed it. Sorry I wasn't clear. I know that the crown can be higher or lower depending on the bash.
Oh, sorry, my mistake. But while I'm here, I'm thinking you should probably just go ahead and order a Fed IV of your own. Akubra's Fed IV is my favorite modern production hat, and I think everyone should own at least one, but...well, surely you can decide for yourself. ;)

Oh, sorry, my mistake. But while I'm here, I'm thinking you should probably just go ahead and order a Fed IV of your own. Akubra's Fed IV is my favorite modern production hat, and I think everyone should own at least one, but...well, surely you can decide for yourself. ;)

@GuitarGuy99 while your at the Hattery’s website you should add at least one Campdraft to your order. :)

Is there much difference between the fed iv and the adventurer sold by DM?
According to the sales propaganda on each website, the brim on the Adventurer is wider--1/4" more on the sides, 3/8" more front and back. And the open crown on the Fed IV is 1/8" taller. Both styles are made from Akubra's Imperial Quality felt, but the Fed IV is also available in Akubra's Heritage Quality felt. Also, the Fed IV is only available through Hats Direct/The Hattery, and available in more colors. And then there's price...

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
Campdraft 20220407_120542.jpg 20220407_120534.jpg 20220407_120533.jpg

ADK

New in Town
This Coober Pedy has really grown on me in the last few weeks. Had it out and about today surveying the damage from (and during!) the nor’easter here in upstate NY… for work, not just sightseeing on terrible roads!

Curious to know if anyone has rebashed a cattleman to match the bash on this Pedy? Think it’s possible? I have a cattleman in a color I like… but love the bash on this Pedy more than the bash on a cattleman. Worried I might not have enough material to work with on the cattleman.

I believe David Morgan calls this a fedora bash while the cattleman is more of a pinched telescope or pinched teardrop.

Attachments

• F697CFF9-BD59-4674-B9FA-0A82ADD70BFB.jpeg
    F697CFF9-BD59-4674-B9FA-0A82ADD70BFB.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 66

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Got a good deal on this Cattleman on the Facebook marketplace, it's in great shape. My goodness has it got a brim on it though! No pictures of it on me yet, I think it'll take some getting used to. I'm happy with my purchase though.
View attachment 418678 View attachment 418679
Great hat. Akubra #1 best seller. I find mine a perfect all round hat. Great for sun protection, rain, snow. Anything. Just wear it and you will get used to the size in no time.
Wear it in good health.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This Coober Pedy has really grown on me in the last few weeks. Had it out and about today surveying the damage from (and during!) the nor’easter here in upstate NY… for work, not just sightseeing on terrible roads!

Curious to know if anyone has rebashed a cattleman to match the bash on this Pedy? Think it’s possible? I have a cattleman in a color I like… but love the bash on this Pedy more than the bash on a cattleman. Worried I might not have enough material to work with on the cattleman.

I believe David Morgan calls this a fedora bash while the cattleman is more of a pinched telescope or pinched teardrop.
You can change that shape of the crown. Yes you will have enough felt. I just popped the crown out of mine and put in a Center crease. Easy. Just keep in mind it will take better if the hat is wet. I have a old Snowy River I changed to a Gus crease years ago. I soaked the outside of the hat till it was good and saturated. I used a child’s ball that fit in the crown to help knock it out to open crown. Let it dry completely then rebased it dry. Once I got it to where I wanted it I wet the hat again to help it retain its new shape. Also I am sure you will see the ghosting lines from the previous bash unless you get it professionally done.
Hope that helps
Johnny

ADK

New in Town
You can change that shape of the crown. Yes you will have enough felt. I just popped the crown out of mine and put in a Center crease. Easy. Just keep in mind it will take better if the hat is wet. I have a old Snowy River I changed to a Gus crease years ago. I soaked the outside of the hat till it was good and saturated. I used a child’s ball that fit in the crown to help knock it out to open crown. Let it dry completely then rebased it dry. Once I got it to where I wanted it I wet the hat again to help it retain its new shape. Also I am sure you will see the ghosting lines from the previous bash unless you get it professionally done.
Hope that helps
Johnny

Awesome. Thank you for the insight and tips, Johnny! Ok, I’m in… I’m going to take on the challenge and I’ll post up the results!

I’m fine with some ghosting lines, etc., on my hats. While I’m pretty fond of my Akubras, they are all hats to be worn, used, and worked in.

ADK

new2hats

A-List Customer
Am thinking about getting the Coober Pedy vs. Riverina. Havent decided. Think i like the bigger brim on Riverina, but it might overwhelm my 5'6" body. Any thoughts?

The Shoe

One Too Many
Got a good deal on this Cattleman on the Facebook marketplace, it's in great shape. My goodness has it got a brim on it though! No pictures of it on me yet, I think it'll take some getting used to. I'm happy with my purchase though.
View attachment 418678 View attachment 418679

Great hat. Akubra #1 best seller. I find mine a perfect all round hat. Great for sun protection, rain, snow. Anything. Just wear it and you will get used to the size in no time.
Wear it in good health.
Johnny
I second what Johnny said. I also picked mine up cheap on a local market. It’s become my regular barbecue and garden work hat. It was a big brim for me, too when I first got it. Now, I don’t even notice it.

ADK

New in Town
Am thinking about getting the Coober Pedy vs. Riverina. Havent decided. Think i like the bigger brim on Riverina, but it might overwhelm my 5'6" body. Any thoughts?

I have a Territory which is basically a Riverina with a different crown… along with the Coober Pedy. I find the Coober as a good run around hat, fine for working or running errands, etc., where you can’t beat the Territory if your spending the day out in the sun or rain.

On brim size… I thought the Territory was huge and now that I use it and wear it more often, it’s perfect for its use. Doesn’t get in the way and provides its function. Looks fine, too… I’m 5’10” and 195#. I like the look… but the Coober Pedy is a more convenient “do all” hat in my opinion.

The Territory or Riverina will sure catch the wind… so I put a stampede strap on mine.

ADK

new2hats

A-List Customer
Thanks for that info ADK. May just get the Coober Pedy, though have many CDs and Open Road hats with similar dimensions. Will keep comparing.

Reactions: ADK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana