Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the hat band on the Snowy River, it sure stands out on that color.
Not bad for a factory defect. Bought it off the bay over ten years ago and the brim was shaped to a 30 degree from the crown. Easy fix
I went to buy a new tan Campdraft and I see they no longer exist. I'm pretty fed up with Akubra at this point. Everything I like they stop making.
https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-akubra-range-1/products/campdraft-open-crown

Maybe you shouldn’t wait so long to buy what you like. :p:D Just joking. Missed my chance at another Squatter myself. Hope this link helps. They seem to have a few left in stock. EverythingAustralian seems to have a 6 month pre-order.
Johnny

BlackSmp

New in Town

Attachments

• 61436868-5109-4EBF-98FB-43A5A7E5707F.jpeg
    61436868-5109-4EBF-98FB-43A5A7E5707F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
I went to buy a new tan Campdraft and I see they no longer exist. I'm pretty fed up with Akubra at this point. Everything I like they stop making.
"Tan"? Which color is that in Akubra-speak--Sand (what they used to call "Silverbelly") or Fawn? They're both still available through Everything Australian, you'd just have to wait six months while they make your hat for you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, Akubra is just trying to survive all of this pandemic crap like the rest of us, so they're focusing on their best selling hats at the moment; if a particular style or color isn't selling, they're mothballing them until things return to a more "normal" status.

Last edited:

Gobi

One of the Regulars
"Tan"? Which color is that in Akubra-speak--Sand (what they used to call "Silverbelly") or Fawn? They're both still available through Everything Australian, you'd just have to wait six months while they make your hat for you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, Akubra is just trying to survive all of this pandemic crap like the rest of us, so they're focusing on their best selling hats at the moment; if a particular style or color isn't selling, they're mothballing them until things return to a more "normal" status.
They don't offer fawn anymore. I can't remember the exact name but it's a light brown.

BlackSmp

New in Town

Cornelius Crewe

New in Town
Hello all. I have been a long time lurker here, this might be my first post. I have an Akubra Federation IV I really love and 3 Snowy Rivers I got amazingly good deals on EBay. My newest is a lined new old stock in Glen Grey from Outback trading I got for $50. Only thing is the hat band is an awful tan cheap leather that does not fit the grey at all, and I haven’t found another I like. I have an unlined Santone Fawn with a nice woven dark brown band and I’d like something similar for the grey. Any ideas where I can find one?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello all. I have been a long time lurker here, this might be my first post. I have an Akubra Federation IV I really love and 3 Snowy Rivers I got amazingly good deals on EBay. My newest is a lined new old stock in Glen Grey from Outback trading I got for $50. Only thing is the hat band is an awful tan cheap leather that does not fit the grey at all, and I haven’t found another I like. I have an unlined Santone Fawn with a nice woven dark brown band and I’d like something similar for the grey. Any ideas where I can find one?
Have you tried putting some leather conditioner or mink oil on the hat band. It will be good for the leather and probably darken it up. Just remember to slide some cardboard behind to protect the felt.
Johnny

Sincityhatcollector

Familiar Face
I noticed outback trading has what appears to be a nice black woven leather hat band on their site. Depending on your style you may want to consider a horsehair hatband I noticed several on Amazon in black white and even grey tones on they that I'm considering for my Scala. You may want to check Etsy as well for various styles and materials.

Cornelius Crewe

New in Town
Have you tried putting some leather conditioner or mink oil on the hat band. It will be good for the leather and probably darken it up. Just remember to slide some cardboard behind to protect the felt.
Johnny
I did, in fact, that was my first instinct, and was how I found out it was cheap leather. It’s of a woven design too, and it crumbled as soon as I tried to slide some thin chipboard I have for that sort of thing. It looks like leather scraps pressed together, and not salvageable now. It’s basically a new hat, but it has sat for a long time in it’s original box. Pretty sure the hatband just aged badly.
I’ve got a thin leather band on it for now, but it’s not what I want.

Cornelius Crewe

New in Town
I noticed outback trading has what appears to be a nice black woven leather hat band on their site. Depending on your style you may want to consider a horsehair hatband I noticed several on Amazon in black white and even grey tones on they that I'm considering for my Scala. You may want to check Etsy as well for various styles and materials.
I didn’t even consider Etsy, thanks for that. I was looking at the one you describe on Outback, just wondering if maybe there were others anyone knew about. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko