Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Does Akubra make the Campdraft in dark brown anymore?
I wouldn't expect they are completely discontinued. I got my brown deluxe Campdraft a few years ago and my feeling then was that the Hattery puts in an order for them periodically but doesn’t keep them in stock all the time. Kind of like the McRib sandwich. I can't say why I felt that way and I could be completely wrong, but maybe it was something that was said in an email.

I would keep an eye on their website or maybe email them and ask. The deluxe "cedar brown" Campdraft is far and away my favorite Akubra felt thus far. It's got a softness that even my CD Deluxe "silverbelly" does not quite match (but which I also like a lot). Not sure if I just lucked out with this particular hat or if all browns are this way, but I like this felt as much as my vintage top-line Stetsons and Mallorys.

It was this hat specifically that brought me back to Akubra after a number of years collecting exclusively vintage felt.

In other words, imo it is worth the effort to get one.

(Sorry, I am brand new here - at least in this user incarnation - but I've been collecting Akubras for some time and it's nice to see some of the familiar faces who were here during my last incarnation, plus a bunch of folks I don't know yet!)

6B8D064C-3E47-409D-8F67-8CDE520A597D.jpeg

5E3C0D98-FED8-4A3C-B264-51BAD1F43BE7.jpeg

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Today is my birthday.

I am a bit sick so I am just resting at home with two of my passions: existentialist philosophy and this SBCD Deluxe. I adore this hat!

The other guys are last century’s triumvirate of being: Time, Nothingness and Event.

My sister got me the paperback Heidegger for my birthday.

We are awaiting the imminent arrival of a new deluxe FED IV.

It is a good day.

87CE3C82-F32D-4BD0-A45D-E580E7818B35.jpeg

I wouldn't expect they are completely discontinued. I got my brown deluxe Campdraft a few years ago and my feeling then was that the Hattery puts in an order for them periodically but doesn’t keep them in stock all the time. Kind of like the McRib sandwich. I can't say why I felt that way and I could be completely wrong, but maybe it was something that was said in an email.

I would keep an eye on their website or maybe email them and ask. The deluxe "cedar brown" Campdraft is far and away my favorite Akubra felt thus far. It's got a softness that even my CD Deluxe "silverbelly" does not quite match (but which I also like a lot). Not sure if I just lucked out with this particular hat or if all browns are this way, but I like this felt as much as my vintage top-line Stetsons and Mallorys.

It was this hat specifically that brought me back to Akubra after a number of years collecting exclusively vintage felt.

(Sorry, I am brand new here - at least in this user incarnation - but I've been collecting Akubras for some time and it's nice to see some of the familiar faces who were here during my last incarnation, plus a bunch of folks I don't know yet!)

View attachment 526409

View attachment 526408

We were told the Deluxe in all iterations has been continued, and all we would get is the Imperial. However, I see the Deluxe is still listed…not sure if it’s old stock or if they are continuing to make them.

Since the pandemic, Akubra has discontinued a lot of hats, and some that have not been discontinued have not made it to production in a long time. I’m approaching two years waiting for an Akubra Sombrero. First world problems for sure.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
We were told the Deluxe in all iterations has been continued, and all we would get is the Imperial. However, I see the Deluxe is still listed…not sure if it’s old stock or if they are continuing to make them.

Since the pandemic, Akubra has discontinued a lot of hats, and some that have not been discontinued have not made it to production in a long time. I’m approaching two years waiting for an Akubra Sombrero. First world problems for sure.

I just had a look at my Campdraft order: I purchased one cedar brown deluxe and one silver belly deluxe in May, 2021 and I don’t see anything in those emails with The Hattery that makes me think the deluxe Campdraft is something they offer only certain times every few years (like the McRib sandwich), as I initially indicated.

So I don’t know why I have that impression and, unfortunately, can only assume I invented it. I hope I’m right about the McRib Campdraft but I must admit that I have no basis for that hope.

Last edited:

mullitt

Familiar Face

My deluxe cedar brown Campdraft is also the best felt I've encountered on an Akubra - I have a deluxe silverbelly Campdraft and had 3 other Akubra hats that I've since sold. None were close to the brown felt, and I'm not sure why.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
My new Angler cleaned up nice. I used a little stem to get out some of the creases from being smashed and gave it a good brushing. I wore it all day working around the house, yard work, clean up, dump run etc.
20230623_170608.jpg
20230623_170610.jpg

I'm not sure if the venting actually makes it any cooler but I don't think it hurt any. That being said, it's probably about time to put away the felts anyways, I like wearing them more than my straws but I dont want to ruin them by sweating too much in them.

Last edited:

hambone71

Practically Family
My new Angler cleaned up nice. I used a little stem to get out some of the creases from being smashed and gave it a good brushing. I wore it all day working around the house, yard work, clean up, dump run etc.
View attachment 527680 View attachment 527681
I'm not sure if the venting actually makes it any cooler but I don't think it hurt any. That being said, it's probably about time to put away the felts anyways, I like wearing them more than my straws but I dont want to ruin them by sweating too much in them.
Looks great, Story! What does Akubra call that color? Mine is Fawn, a grayish color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo