Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

One Drop

One of the Regulars
My experience is Akubras with bound brims have thinner felt. Cattleman, Coober Pedy, Tablelands.
I have a cattleman and my sister has the Coober Pedy. Both are significantly thinner than any of my other Akubra hats.
Johnny
It's a small data point but my Bushman is warmer than my Snowy River, the felt seems slightly thinner which would explain the difference, the crown height being similar between the two.

oscarzeta

New in Town
The simple answer is to get another cattleman and have a hat shop cut the brim down. Actually, you can probably do it yourself, I have. You can get a tool just for that, but you really don't need it. There ya go, problem solved!
I have seriously considered doing just that. The only things holding me back are that it is bound and would then go to unbound. Is that a problem? With the thinner felt, I’m worried it wouldn’t look or feel quite right. In other words, is it bound for a reason? I’d feel much better if someone had successfully done that with the Cattleman before.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I have seriously considered doing just that. The only things holding me back are that it is bound and would then go to unbound. Is that a problem? With the thinner felt, I’m worried it wouldn’t look or feel quite right. In other words, is it bound for a reason? I’d feel much better if someone had successfully done that with the Cattleman before.

Yes and no, but basically no.

The binding can add a bit of structure to a brim, but the "reason" is aesthetics.

hambone71

Practically Family
I own a cattleman, Campdraft, angler, and BP. In my experience, the angler and BP are very similar in thickness and weight. Although, the BP has a softer hand due to the heritage quality felt. My cattleman seems to be thinner and a lighter weight felt. And the Campdraft is in it’s own category but closer to the cattleman than the other two. During inclement weather, I would not hesitate to reach for any of them.

BlackSmp

New in Town
No problem. I removed the binding from my bound camp draft

No problem at all :)

KrazmoKramerica

New in Town
Here’s a Drover model that I received flattened and dirty. After a bit of work it appears no worse for wear. Yeah, Akubra.

Bill

View attachment 515540 View attachment 515541 View attachment 515542 View attachment 515543 View attachment 515544 View attachment 515545
Hey Bill...great post! This is the hat that I needed to see. I have an Akubra Ringer. It is old enough that Akubra no longer have any record of it. It looks very similar to your Drover, but with an inner lining. I bought it on ebay and it arrived filthy, crushed and smelling like an ashtray. Now it is spotless and no longer smells like smoke. This Ringer originally had an ugly olive greenish macrame hat band. I put on these leather bands, but I like your simple hat band much better. I have attached some poor quality photos of my Ringer. Can you see the similarity? Thanks for your post!

kraz

Attachments

• Akubra Ringer 57 (1).jpg
    Akubra Ringer 57 (1).jpg
    228 KB · Views: 71
  • Akubra Ringer 57 (4).jpg
    Akubra Ringer 57 (4).jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230610_123127.jpg
    20230610_123127.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230610_123139.jpg
    20230610_123139.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230610_123202.jpg
    20230610_123202.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230610_123235.jpg
    20230610_123235.jpg
    882.5 KB · Views: 72

G MAN

One of the Regulars
My new Fed IV, now I just have to bash it.
I am a fan of the Indiana Jones movies but I always avoided the brown Fed because I don't want to look like I'm wearing a Fedora to be Indiana Jones.
I guess it doesn't matter how I shape it, people will still see the that famous hat.
Oh well, my F tank is on E anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_0717.JPG
    IMG_0717.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 58

StoryPNW

Practically Family
My new Fed IV, now I just have to bash it.
I am a fan of the Indiana Jones movies but I always avoided the brown Fed because I don't want to look like I'm wearing a Fedora to be Indiana Jones.
I guess it doesn't matter how I shape it, people will still see the that famous hat.
Oh well, my F tank is on E anyways.
The Fed IV is a great hat. You can't help what other people will think so might as well wear what makes you happy.

I just picked up an Angler cheap on Ebay, it looks kinda crushed but it was too cheap to pass up and I think I can bring it back with a little steam.
Screenshot_20230617_081131_eBay.jpg

hambone71

Practically Family
Ahh, the Aussie version with the sharks tooth! I think i like that crown with a hand creased look to it I have one in fawn but it's the American David Morgan version sans the sharks tooth. Mine came shaped off center just a bit too much for me so I had to do a little work to it.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Ahh, the Aussie version with the sharks tooth! I think i like that crown with a hand creased look to it I have one in fawn but it's the American David Morgan version sans the sharks tooth. Mine came shaped off center just a bit too much for me so I had to do a little work to it.
I didn't realize the DM version didn't have the shark's tooth. I'm glad I found the Aussie version.

hambone71

Practically Family
I didn't realize the DM version didn't have the shark's tooth. I'm glad I found the Aussie version.
Yeah something about native wildlife and customs and retail all combined. Perhaps there are additional retailer/wholesale buyer fees to import products containing exotic skins or relics from foreign wildlife and therefore not being able to resell those items at competitive prices while maintaining margin. Just my guess. David Morgan sells the Angler but no sharks tooth. Same with his Coober Pedy. His has a grosgrain ribbon where the same Coober Pedy from Australia comes with a leather band and sharks tooth. I have no idea why the barrimundi fish band isn't held to the same standards.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
The Angler is a great hat.
Many years ago I called a shop in Toronto looking for the Angler and the guy said they had the Angler in stock and to come on down.
When I got there this is the Angler he had.
It is an Angler but with a different name and hat band.
I still bought it and like it but it was not the hat I was looking for so eventually I ordered the real one.
IMG_0352 (2022_10_26 22_09_58 UTC).JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner