Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Streak

New in Town
What one is your favourite?
Johnny
Ah, someone else who spells favourite the same way as I was taught! Tough to say. Tablelands was my first and I fitted it with the chin strap. It got most of the use specially on windy days until I got the wider brimmed Blue Mountains (while I am born and raised in Africa I have very fair skin). The Rough Rider being the new kid on the block is now getting the most use (daily dog walking). I have my name down for the Fed IV deluxe when it's back in stock, and then there will be 4! Still deciding if I am going to get it with the open crown and bash it myself or let them do it for me. I am in 2 minds about the raised back that they do.

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
If anyone is interested in having a look or making a bid, there is an Australian Open Road for sale on eBay right now made by Akubra. A fascinating piece of history that - including (in my opinion) how it looks exactly like a Campdraft (I do realize the Campdraft was the Australian Open Road but I expected it to have looked back then more like the Open Road we have known all these years in the US).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4044529913...fxxd5-aQN2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Campdraft with a FED IV bow (sticky tacked only). I’m considering it.
IMG_8470.jpeg

IMG_8471.jpeg

IMG_8475.jpeg

IMG_8474.jpeg

dave7739

New in Town
I've had versions of the snowy river/overlander for years I really enjoy them. Currently have an Overlander in charcoal (almost black, actually looks black) and a Lightning ridge in (heritage fawn?). did they discontinue the Heritage line?

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I've had versions of the snowy river/overlander for years I really enjoy them. Currently have an Overlander in charcoal (almost black, actually looks black) and a Lightning ridge in (heritage fawn?). did they discontinue the Heritage line?
The only heritage models I know of now are the Fed IV and the Banjo Paterson. It’s disappointing not to have any more heritage Campdrafts and David Morgan also only has Banjos in stock.

I am unfamiliar with your models (through I am aware of another heritage model called Lawson): do you have photos. How old are they? Did you get them from David Morgan?

StoryPNW

Practically Family
The only heritage models I know of now are the Fed IV and the Banjo Paterson. It’s disappointing not to have any more heritage Campdrafts and David Morgan also only has Banjos in stock. I never even heard of your models but would love to see photos. How old are they? Did you get them from David Morgan?
I remember the Overlander, it was a heritage version of the Snowy River, I think. Lightning Ridge rings a bell but I can't remember which model it was based off of, maybe the Coober Pedy?

hambone71

Practically Family
The only heritage models I know of now are the Fed IV and the Banjo Paterson. It’s disappointing not to have any more heritage Campdrafts and David Morgan also only has Banjos in stock.

I am unfamiliar with your models (through I am aware of another heritage model called Lawson): do you have photos. How old are they? Did you get them from David Morgan?
I had bought a Lawson in Heritage from DM a couple years back. It was a roomy 7 but still just a tad too tight for comfort. It was the only size left at DM and discontinued. It was a shame because I loved that hat. It had a braided kangaroo leather band with a tassel. The Heritage felt was called Loden, which was a rich brown. I sold it on the bay to a guy in Georgia.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Last edited:

dkstott

Practically Family
I suppose like in everything it takes all sorts, however I think Pharell would disagree

moreover, several people wear Akubras snapped up

I am hardly the only one
I have found that my buddies love brim up. But my wife hates it. So my suggestion is;

Brim up when you're around your buddies.

Brim down when you're around your wife or girlfriend.

the more I wear it, the more I like my cattleman snapped up, it acquires a completely different " urban" dimension which it hasn't, in my opinion, when snapped down.
View attachment 553250
View attachment 553251

It’s great to have variety: colors, styles, shapes, and brim up and brim down hats. It’s definitely a different look, but there’s nothing wrong with being different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy