Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

univibe88

One Too Many
indycop said:
9 ligne being Whippet size binding??

In a Whippet thread, Art Fawcett said "Most Whippet's are 5 3/4 crown, 18 ligne ribbon, 2 1/2 brim bound in 9 ligne but the crown height did vary as well as the brim width."

I am tending to agree with the others that 2 5/8 is right for you. I am 5'10" 220lbs and I often wear a 2 1/2" brim.

DSC_0261.jpg

I am really looking forward to seeing this hat completed. I am very happy for you, indycop!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
This is the look I am going after, my Penneys Marathon that looks whippetish. It has a 2.5 inch brim, I wear this hat ALOT and though it may not be wide enough it feels right. But if it looks too small then I will go with the 2 5/8.

GEDC0024.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I forgot to mention the other great thing about getting the Fed III besides the taller crown is I am getting it for 90 AUD. The fed IV is 108 AUD and is a great deal so to me this is a steal!!:D

univibe88

One Too Many
I think the 2.5 in that picture looks great on you. If you'd like the 2.5 to help round out the collection, then go for it!

I also love the look of a tall, straight crown and shorter brim. My latest is 5.75 open crown and a 2 3/8" brim.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
And I'm seriously considering getting a Tawny fed and sending it to Optimo for a fat binding.

Hope you get that done soon. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I've thought of sending both of mine to have them bound, but I haven't done it yet.

I bet it'll look great.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
This is the look I am going after, my Penneys Marathon that looks whippetish. It has a 2.5 inch brim, I wear this hat ALOT and though it may not be wide enough it feels right. But if it looks too small then I will go with the 2 5/8.

GEDC0024.jpg

I don't see a thing wrong with that look for you, but you could easily wear 2 5/8 also. Either way it's gonna look cool.

indycop said:

GEDC0024.jpg
I would lose money because looking at that hat on you, I'd bet it was over 2 1/2" brim. It sure looks wider than that...

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Green Akubra Whippet

I just ordered an Akubra Whippet in Glade Green from everythingaustralian, and I'm wondering in any Lounger owns this hat. I've been scouring the internet and this forum for pics of a green Whippet, and still no luck.

It obviously doesn't matter to me what shade of green (I just REALLY want a green hat, and I thought Akubra couldn't disappoint) since I ordered one without seeing it first, but it would be nice to have an idea.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
How about that light grey Campdraft effort?

Here are a couple stills of Jeff Bridges from the film, "Seabiscuit." It's my understanding that Art Fawcett made this hat.

seaent1.jpg
seaent2.jpg

Now, is there any doubt that the Campdraft should be available in light grey?

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
BinkieBaumont said:

It's all rather confusing different vendor sites have different style names and colour names, Is the Akubra site the deffinitive place to get names and colours

http://www.akubra.com.au/
Binkie...you'll find that Akubra itself doesn't even list all the hats they make. You won't find the Federation on their site...or the Bushman...or any "Indy" hat...Many are specially made for specific stores.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Sorrel Tan Boss of the Plains and Mid Brown Campdraft should be here the end of this week or beginning of next week from EA. Got email from HatsDirect that my Tawny Fawn Fed III is on the stretcher and then will be on its way. :D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy