Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
I already posted this on the new hat thread. Fed IV carbon gray, Father's Day present

hats2013.jpg

hats2015.jpg

hats2016.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
warmentrout said:
I already posted this on the new hat thread. Fed IV carbon gray, Father's Day present

I saw it there but I'll comment here.......

That crease is cool. It looks similar to the crease in your avatar hat. I really dig the lines from the side. It goes swoosh! :eusa_clap

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
CRH said:
I saw it there but I'll comment here.......

That crease is cool. It looks similar to the crease in your avatar hat. I really dig the lines from the side. It goes swoosh! :eusa_clap

Yeah, my taste in what I like a hat to look like has evolved over the time that I've cared about it. I tend to gravitate towards the "swoosh" even though it makes for a somewhat monothematic collection.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
The Lark said:

Posing roguishly in front of the bath towels, wearing my Akubra "Bogart" Fedora
Hmmmm...I hadn't ever seen one of those before on anyone. That's a nice looking hat. Now if they would just offer it in Tawny Fawn and Moonstone.

Goose.

Practically Family
Mr. Paladin said:
When the same looks that good, why change it? Thumbs up!
What Mr. P said CRH :)

Blackthorn said:
Hmmmm...I hadn't ever seen one of those before on anyone. That's a nice looking hat. Now if they would just offer it in Tawny Fawn and Moonstone.
Yep Lark...that is a good pic.

Interesting, even in the Akubra Bogart thread itself, you don't see many pics of this hat on the noggin'.

Blackthorn...here's a black and a grey on a melon:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=777314&postcount=3557

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=771952&postcount=41

Warmentrout, nice bash on your Father's Day gift. :eusa_clap

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
What Mr. P said CRH :)

Yep Lark...that is a good pic.

Interesting, even in the Akubra Bogart thread itself, you don't see many pics of this hat on the noggin'.

Blackthorn...here's a black and a grey on a melon:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=777314&postcount=3557

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=771952&postcount=41

Warmentrout, nice bash on your Father's Day gift. :eusa_clap
Thanks Goose! Yep, it's a nice looking design, I just really like Moonstone with the dark ribbon, and the Tawny Fawn with the contrasting ribbon. It mystifies me that they limit the colors available on different hats.

Thanks for letting me know, too, that there's a whole thread on the Akubra Bogart. I'll have to do some looking.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Willow green Squatter update

First of all thanks for the compliments, gents.

Today I had the good (mis?)fortune to wear the Squatter through a torrential downpour. I took the opportunity to finish off the crease. It seems that Akubra's Imperial and Superfine felts really do like a good rain soaking now and then ;).

However...

...the dye mottling appears to have become worse after the rain soaking, so much so that my wife can clearly see it. I can only assume that it will become worse over time so it looks like this one will need to go back :mad:.

Now we have to figure out whether the problem is with an individual hat or a bad batch [huh].

:eusa_booh

Woodfluter

Practically Family
CRH said:
...the dye mottling appears to have become worse after the rain soaking, so much so that my wife can clearly see it. I can only assume that it will become worse over time so it looks like this one will need to go back :mad:.
Now we have to figure out whether the problem is with an individual hat or a bad batch [huh].:eusa_booh

Your situation might be different, and you're talking about a different color and I think a different felt, but for what it's worth...

I did notice mottling on my brown Fed III deluxe. After it had been in all kinds of weather for a while. It didn't look terrible or anything, but made it look sort of... weathered. But to my surprise, it did get better! Over weeks or a month I think. Spontaneously with time. Likewise, around the same time I'd noticed a slight greenish sheen on the ribbon that wouldn't rub off. That went away too, faster as I recall. Hasn't returned

Don't have the slightest clue what any of this means, but you might want to wait a bit before sending it back. Just a hopeful note!

- Bill

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:
Your situation might be different, and you're talking about a different color and I think a different felt, but for what it's worth...

I did notice mottling on my brown Fed III deluxe. After it had been in all kinds of weather for a while. It didn't look terrible or anything, but made it look sort of... weathered. But to my surprise, it did get better! Over weeks or a month I think. Spontaneously with time. Likewise, around the same time I'd noticed a slight greenish sheen on the ribbon that wouldn't rub off. That went away too, faster as I recall. Hasn't returned

Don't have the slightest clue what any of this means, but you might want to wait a bit before sending it back. Just a hopeful note!

- Bill

Thanks for the can of worms... I mean thanks for the advice, Bill :eusa_doh:.

Actually I may have rushed this a little because I'm still awaiting an opinion from HatsDirect [huh].

Goose.

Practically Family
Hey CRH, here are some pics I took of my Sqautter (Willow Green). The pic of my wearing it and the one on the stand are from yesterday. I was looking at the Squatter on the stand and thought, "the crown looks brownish". That somewhat got my attention. Turns out, I think it's the light in the room.

So, no color problem for me. But, I've not worn it in the rain yet...lawn sprinklers, but not rain.

Something interesting to me is that when I received my David Morgan Sydney Charcoal, I hit it with sprayed water to set the bash. Damn. The water dripped grey. It was certainly obvious. I have since worn it in the rain often. Doesn't seem to be running color and the shade is consistent through the hat. None of my other Akubra hats have exhibited the color run when wet from spraying the dents or while worn in rain.

613717449_2iVBf-S.jpg
614537430_gRskT-S.jpg
614541871_xt2y2-S.jpg
614527805_mTXrY-S.jpg

Any variation in color shown in the above pics are due to lighting. The hat is consistent. Real camera battery's kaput, last three pics via cell phone camera. The color really seems to change with the light...should be called "Chameleon Green"

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Will I tell 'em or will you?

OK so Hatsdirect are a great hattery but not so great at history.

This from their website explaining why they named their hat the 'Federation':

"When we introduced the first model we needed a name. The year was 1998 - the Centenary of Federation in Australia, with many historical pictures published showing people in hats such as the one we created. Hence the name The Federation."

All good....except the centenary of Aussie federation was in 2001.

Who's gonna tell 'em?

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
KeyGrip said:
Those Feds are such handsome hats. Warmentrout, do you think the color in that picture is accurate, or a little light?

Sorry it took so long to respond, I had a lightning strike at my house and no internet conection for awhile. The picture is lighter. To my eye it looks charcoal with blue undertones, if that makes any sense.

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
Hey CRH, here are some pics I took of my Sqautter (Willow Green). The pic of my wearing it and the one on the stand are from yesterday. I was looking at the Squatter on the stand and thought, "the crown looks brownish". That somewhat got my attention. Turns out, I think it's the light in the room.

So, no color problem for me. But, I've not worn it in the rain yet...lawn sprinklers, but not rain.

Something interesting to me is that when I received my David Morgan Sydney Charcoal, I hit it with sprayed water to set the bash. Damn. The water dripped grey. It was certainly obvious. I have since worn it in the rain often. Doesn't seem to be running color and the shade is consistent through the hat. None of my other Akubra hats have exhibited the color run when wet from spraying the dents or while worn in rain.

613717449_2iVBf-S.jpg
614537430_gRskT-S.jpg
614541871_xt2y2-S.jpg
614527805_mTXrY-S.jpg

Any variation in color shown in the above pics are due to lighting. The hat is consistent. Real camera battery's kaput, last three pics via cell phone camera. The color really seems to change with the light...should be called "Chameleon Green"

I've been contemplating a Squatter in willow green. According to Hats Direct the squatter has more taper in the crown than the Fed IV and Campdraft. I like the shape of the crown of the Fed IV. How does a Squatter compare to a Fed IV as far as taper in the crown ?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
warmentrout said:
I've been contemplating a Squatter in willow green. According to Hats Direct the squatter has more taper in the crown than the Fed IV and Campdraft. I like the shape of the crown of the Fed IV. How does a Squatter compare to a Fed IV as far as taper in the crown ?

I'll let Goose or someone else answer that question since I don't own a Fed.

However....

It seems most folks are greatly concerned about the crown dimensions of the Squatter. I'm here to warn you that the Squatter's brim will test your self confidence when you look into a mirror and Goose will stand with me on that ;). It's a great ticket if you dig shade.

s122-0004_right.jpg

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
warmentrout said:

The Squatters crown is rounder, the Fed is more oval. There is some taper compared to the Fed. When I took the pic it had a diamond bash.
Fed_sq_bows.jpg

Tone

A-List Customer
Mr. Paladin said:
I don't get over to this thread very often but I do occasionally come by just to keep an eye out for Goose ;) ! Couldn't resist telling you that I think the cut brim looks fine on that hat, and that it looks good on you as well.

Thank you, Mr. Paladin. I'm sorry but I missed this a while back. (These Akubra posts go fast! :) )

Yeah, the Adventurer crown still looks great but I do prefer it with a bit more brim than what I'd done to it there. I'm not a big fan of stingys, but thank you! It's nice to know that it could be pulled off if need be.

If I didn't have four brown fedoras already I'd definitely pick up another AkAd; but these Squatters floating around just look so darned good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80