Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AKUBRA SOMBRERO PICTURES PLEASE

davidd

New in Town
Davidd- That hat is absolutely amazing. I love the modification you have done. Was it hard to get the crease out?

The hat was open crown, so there was no top crease. I ironed the brim flat with a regular clothing iron set on low heat. It only took a minute or so, very easy and fast. The challenging part was removing the calfskin hatband. The hatband is glued in place, not sewn, which came as a surprise. I had to carefully cut the glue with a sharp X-acto knife.

And yes, the hat is amazing! I wanted something a little bit "over the top" in an "epic adventure hat," and the Akubra Sombrero turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
The challenging part was removing the calfskin hatband. The hatband is glued in place, not sewn, which came as a surprise.

You'll find that these days all ribbon treatments that aren't regular ribbon will be glued in place (i.e. self felt bands, leather, rope, etc.).

I was sad to find that even the $1,000 Stetson el Presidente and the $600 30X el Patron has their self-felted, gold-buckled treatments glued on. For a thousand bucks you'd think there was more quality than glue!!

As to Tucker Bush Man, I had never heard of him until this post. That is the oddest hat crease I've ever seen. Wild! I don't think I could pull off wearing that hat!!

jweaks

New in Town
That is awesome.

I purchased Akubra Sombreros from both Hats Direct and Everything Australian in June 2012. Both were the same color -- a dark greenish-grey brown (depending on the lighting) with a black & white striped fuzzy calfskin band.

I requested an open-crown hat when I ordered. Here's what the hat looked like when I received it:

sombrero1.jpg

I ironed the curled brim edge flat, shaped the crown into more of a "safari" (or Secret of the Incas) bash, and replaced the calfskin band with a ribbon.

sombrero5.jpg

sombrero7.jpg

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
I purchased Akubra Sombreros from both Hats Direct and Everything Australian in June 2012. Both were the same color -- a dark greenish-grey brown (depending on the lighting) with a black & white striped fuzzy calfskin band...

GREAT job re-doing that sombrero, Davidd!! That will sure keep the sun off your face.

I've also straightened many an Akubra brim to re-shape to my own preference. Akubras are very cooperative hats that way. To keep from over-ironing or getting an iron-imprint on the brim, I use a thick t-shirt as an ironing cloth between iron and hat. Works great.

sandgroper

New in Town
rsz_my_hat.png
G'day all, I've just joined this forum as I was googling akubra sombrero and found this thread. I've had an akubra sombrero since 1993 and its the the best hat I've ever owned, unfortunately mine has reached the end of its life so it's time for a new one. If the new one lasts as well as my old one has I'll be very happy, it's been a great hat but I just can't repair it anymore. Anyway, here it is.
Cheers,
Dave.

RJR

View attachment 62836 G'day all, I've just joined this forum as I was googling akubra sombrero and found this thread. I've had an akubra sombrero since 1993 and its the the best hat I've ever owned, unfortunately mine has reached the end of its life so it's time for a new one. If the new one lasts as well as my old one has I'll be very happy, it's been a great hat but I just can't repair it anymore. Anyway, here it is.
Cheers,
Dave.
Welcome and,wow,that hat could tell some stories.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
View attachment 62836 G'day all, I've just joined this forum as I was googling akubra sombrero and found this thread. I've had an akubra sombrero since 1993 and its the the best hat I've ever owned, unfortunately mine has reached the end of its life so it's time for a new one. If the new one lasts as well as my old one has I'll be very happy, it's been a great hat but I just can't repair it anymore. Anyway, here it is.
Cheers,
Dave.

Send that beauty to someone for a resto job, but don't get rid of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points