Akubra Stylemaster

Discussion in 'Hats' started by rdnzl, Jan 22, 2016.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have a Madison at 20 years old that is very similar in style to the Stylemaster and still looks great.

johnnycanuck and Benny Holiday like this.
  2. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

Has anyone ever re-bashed their Stylemaster from the teardrop into a center crease with a pinch?

3. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

I believe the main character in the Australian tv series Dr. Blake Mysteries wears an Akubra Stylemaster.
    dr-blake-ep10-1.jpg downloadfile.jpg

4. dkstott

dkstott One of the Regulars

The addiction is real. [emoji41]. Just added a Moonstone Akubra Stylemaster to the herd. Moonstone, Acorn Fawn and Carbon Grey. [emoji41][emoji145][emoji106][emoji3590][​IMG]

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

5. Edward

Edward Bartender

That I didn't know. I've owned five (and still have and wear four - the other I wore out!) Capricorns in the last ten years, and they are great hats for the heat. Have some real straws too, but the Capricorn is a joy when it's hot and no worries if it gets rained on...

johnnycanuck likes this.
  6. BryanB

BryanB Familiar Face

You guys were right. This looks way better than my $40 safari hats, and feels like real quality on my head. Took forever to get to Israel from Australia. Now I just need to work up the nerve to wear it around casually. Of course the pics will probably end up being the next meme with some ignominious title such as "Captain Neckbeard".

Attached Files:

M Hatman, johnnycanuck, job and 11 others like this.
  7. Boomerang

Boomerang One of the Regulars

I think it looks quite natural on you. Wear it with confidence.

8. Kirk H.

Kirk H. One Too Many

Looks good!!! Wear it well.

9. Pellie

Pellie A-List Customer

Great look!!

10. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

That’s a great looking hat. Enjoy wearing it, there’s no need to be self conscious. I’m sure you will get complimented when you wear it.

Steven

11. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Agreed. Another fine-looking Stylemaster!

johnnycanuck, BryanB and dkstott like this.
  12. Beef

Beef New in Town

I know this thread is a bit older, but I really like how the Stylemaster looks on its own in photos, and hats by the hundred has a great price and 10% off at the moment so it would be $107 shipped. On its own, it looks like it has very little taper and a more blocky or cylindrical front, which I like. But, I am confused by all of the photos of people actually wearing one. In most photos of people on this site, it looks super tapered like an upside down triangle, which is a look I don't care for and does not look good on me. But there are some photos of folks wearing them it has the look I like. Why does the look vary so much in photos? Is it just the angle of the shot? I have one in my cart and am ready to hit the "Place Order" button, but thought I would tap into the knowledge of those here who have one. Cheers!

dkstott, M Hatman and deadlyhandsome like this.

13. I had a Stylemaster a few years back and ended up selling or trading it off. They are fine hats, it just wasn’t to my liking. Photography can change the way a hat looks, as can the crease/bash. I often go with a diamond crease as it minimizes the appearance of taper. My recollection is that the Stylemaster wasn’t blocked as straight sided as I prefer, but it wasn’t bad either. For me, it was just too small of a hat all around, but it looks great on others.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    dkstott and Beef like this.
  14. Kirk H., M Hatman, Zombie_61 and 6 others like this.
  15. Edward

Edward Bartender

To my eye, the Stylemaster has the look of a mid-fifties hat to it, just a touch smaller all-around than a more 30s or 40s style, like the Campdraft or the Federation. For my money, these slightly smaller hats are a great option to have as they wear a bit "more casual" - easier to pair with a short leather jacket and an overall much more dressed down, 50s vibe than, say, the Fed. S'how I tend to wear them, anyhow...

dkstott, Zombie_61, KSCOM4 and 3 others like this.
  16. KSCOM4

KSCOM4 New in Town

I have a Stylemaster and like it very much. Yes, it has more taper than some, but I think of it as a nice middle ground option.

dkstott, Kirk H., M Hatman and 3 others like this.

17. It’s a handsome hat and many here enjoy them. I do enjoy a stingy occasionally (NOT that the Stylemaster is a stingy), but when I want a non-stingy fedora I want one shaped and proportioned differently than the Stylemaster. For my tastes, the Stylemaster with its taper, slightly lower crown, and slightly narrower brim just doesn’t work for me.

KSCOM4, Beef and johnnycanuck like this.

18. I see it just the opposite. I think the slightly smaller proportioned* fedoras (not stingy brims) look best when dressed up. The smaller dimensions give them a more pull together formal look. The wider brim hats look more casual to me and I pair them with more casual attire. Just different ways of looking at things.

*smaller for me is 5 1/2 open crown and 2 3/8 to 2 1/2” brims...so definitely not “small” for others.

Kirk H., M Hatman and johnnycanuck like this.
  19. Beef

Beef New in Town

dkstott and deadlyhandsome like this.

20. I wouldn’t say it has a lot of taper, but definitely more than say a Campdraft or a Federation IV.

For me, the Stylemaster fits a niche that I don’t need filled, but it’s a nice hat with lots of happy owners.

KSCOM4 likes this.