Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Sydney: A Review

panama jack

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
Can you get this hat in light grey with a black band from anyone? I personally prefer this to the near black colour.

I recently purchased a Stylemaster from Everything Australian in mediun grey. The hat came with a grey ribbon but I special ordered it with a black ribbon. It took three months to get but they will do it.

pj

panama jack said:
I recently purchased a Stylemaster from Everything Australian in mediun grey. The hat came with a grey ribbon but I special ordered it with a black ribbon. It took three months to get but they will do it.
pj
PJ, Did you leave the binding the same color or change it too? Did you do this via the website or phone call? TIA...

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I have a Sydney and it is a great hat. I did find that wetting it and then bashing it allows it to hold a more elaborate bash. I've porkpied it and also c-crowned it. It is a very nice light felt and makes a nice warm weather hat, except that it is virtually black. Like all Akubras it is very durable despite the lightness of the felt.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
PJ, Did you leave the binding the same color or change it too? Did you do this via the website or phone call? TIA...

gtdean48,
I left the brim binding the original color and just changed the ribbon. The binding actually is quite dark that it almost looks like the ribbon.
I really didn't want too much of a contrast between the hat and the brim binding. I am happy with the way it turned out.
I requested this change to my hat by contacting Sam at E.A. He was very accommodating.

pj

Goose.

Practically Family
Pulled the Trigger on a Sydney

Well...just ordered a charcoal Sydney from DM to replace the one I gave to a buddy.

Never ordered from them before but they seem reputable and quick in shipping based on what I have read here.

So, when it gets here, I'll see if the liner or anything else seems different from the one I bought from a brick and mortar store a bit over a decade ago.

Feel like a kid waiting for Santa :)

panama jack

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
Thanks PJ, I like the different binding & ribbon ala a Whippet. Have you posted a photo? If so, name the thread so I can see. I need a gray hat to round out the color schemes...

gtdean48,
I haven't taken any pictures of it yet. I'll have to this weekend if I get a chance. I'll most likely post it to the new hat thread.

pj

carldelo

One Too Many
Looking good

skyvue said:
I don't know where it was originally purchased, as I bought it from a denizen of this board.

sydney.jpg

Skyvue, you're looking good in that Sydney, I'm glad it went to a good home. It's originally from Noggintops (on sale now, btw). At the time I listed it for sale, I included some photos - they're done with and without flash, with and without bash, and give a good idea of the felt and liner color. I thought they might be useful on this review thread:

Goose.

Practically Family
Yippy Skippy!!!

After giving my buddy my Sydney 59 last week that I had for years, my new 60 arrived about 20 minutes ago.

Upon seeing the generous pics above and seeing my new Sydney IRL, I know my old one had a white lining. This one is a beautiful red (though the logo is all gold as opposed to the multi-color of the white liner).

Also, still says "Imperial".

Now I have to figure out a bash (most likely as my old one as seen in my avatar). Front dents or not. Feather(s) or pin.

Anyway, don't mean to bore ya all...but I wanted to share with others that can appreciate my reason for smiling :)
"Look ma, no headache!!!"

Thanks for reading...and for this thread.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
skyvue said:
Thanks! I've had it for a year or more, but only have been wearing it as my primary lid for a few months. I had to work my way up to a 2.5-inch brim.

The lining is red, but it says "Sydney" on the sweatband, so I don't know which vendor it came from.
If it's a "Sydney," it came from David Morgan or from a US/Canada reseller who gets their Akubras via Morgan's Akubra distributorship. Noggintops is one such.

BTW, apparently the Australian-sourced Akubra "Fedora" model is available only up to size 61, but the Morgan Sydney version is offered up to size 64 (8).

carldelo

One Too Many
JohnnyB53 said:
If it's a "Sydney," it came from David Morgan or from a US/Canada reseller who gets their Akubras via Morgan's Akubra distributorship. Noggintops is one such.

Yes, it came from Noggintops - I ordered it from them last spring and Skyvue took it off my hands shortly thereafter.

Goose.

Practically Family
Skyvue...
The Sydney in your pic is awesome.
Do you have a pic of the crown from the top you could post or link me to? Also, how many inches from brim to top front and rear?
Seems like mine is much lower and flatter front to rear than yours' and I'd like to check it out. My face/head is long and fat, so I go with a lower profile as compared to what your Sydney seems to have...but I do like the way your Sydney looks. Sporty.
Hope you don't mind.

FWIW, mine is 3-3/8 front and 4-3/4 rear. Here's pics of the size 60 I recevied from David Morgan today...
(Fuzzy pics from camera phone. Real camera batt died)

Click the pics:
. . . . . .

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
Skyvue...
The Sydney in your pic is awesome.
Do you have a pic of the crown from the top you could post or link me to? Also, how many inches from brim to top front and rear?

Goose, these pics aren't great -- they're camera-phone shots, too -- but perhaps they'll do.

I'm not very savvy with measuring the crown of a hat, but as best as I can ascertain, mine's 4 3/4 in the front and an even 4 inches (or perhaps just a smidge higher) in the back.

hat1.jpg
hat2.jpg
hat3.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
Skyvue...

Thanks so much for the quick reply and the pics of your nice lid :)
Our repsective bash work looks close...but I will try the brim to crown dimensions you posted.

All The Best...

jpbales

Practically Family
Spellflower said:
Just thought I'd point this out for any newbies interested in this hat. David Morgan, a U.S. retailer sells this hat under the name "Sydney," and Hats Direct, an Australian company sells it under the name "Fedora". They are the same hat, and priced similarly (depending on the exchange rate), but color options may vary.

Priced similarly? I'm not sure how old this thread is or if the exchange rate changed since then or something, but the Fedora is 75$ + 18$ ship U.S. and the Sydney from David Morgan is 130$ + 7$ ship U.S. Did anyone else notice that David Morgan charges 20$ just to bash the hat for you before they send it? That seems like a crazy price just for a guy to grab your hat.

carldelo

One Too Many
Sydney in charcoal

Sargon said:
Carldelo - What color is the hat on the left? I think I may need one of those!

All five pictures are of the same hat, Akubra Sydney in charcoal. They were photographed with and without flash. The ones on the left are in plain daylight. In fact, this is the same hat as in Skyvue's pics - he took the hat off my hands as I didn't like the proportions on myself (go figure) - looks good on him, though.

Goose.

Practically Family
Changed the Sydney from the front being lower than the back to the opposite. Will see how I like it. Comments welcome.

Thank you again Skyvue.

Pics for grins...

Click the pics:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy