Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Sydney v. Stetson Temple- Size 8 so choices limited

I65Stang

New in Town
First off, I am so glad I found this place before I bought the new Borsalino I was about to get! I've done a lot of searching on here and I have narrowed my search to between the Stetson Temple and the Akubra Syndey (believe it is called the "Fedora" on hatsdirect). The Akubra Federation is out of the picture right now since I have a conference later this week that I would like to wear my fedora to so I will be having it shipped overnight :). It looks like you all are very impressed by Akubra's quality (I have an XXL Barmah Bronco [which unfortunately is a little tight even after trying to strech it] so know those Aussies know their hats!) and the new Stetsons quality seems to be going the way of Borsalino (sad). Is this a fair statement of beliefs/facts?

I am not going for the Indy look, just want a classic looking Fedora but it is hard to tell from stock photos what the Sydney really looks like. Does anyone have one or seen one? The specs make it sound exactly what I am looking for. Am I missing any other good choices (that come in an 8 [64])?

One other thing, it sure does suck having an honest size 8 head when getting a fedora! Once I pick this one up, if I actually wear it a lot Art will be getting a call but I need a trial one before dropping the big money!

Thanks all!

Tim

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
7 1/2 Dittos from the East. That Sydney looks sweet doesn't it?

How broad is your face? the wider brim Sydney would go well with a wide face and the smaller brim Temple would go with a thinner visage?

Welcome to the lounge and the gateway to insanity.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
We need someone to do a head to head comparison (road test) between a Stetson Temple and a comparable Akubra model. Ideally we would get results initially, at six months, and at say three years. Any volunteers?

I65Stang

New in Town
Thanks for the input guys! I do have a pretty braod face right now (usually do during the winter while bulking). I tried on a Temple at a local hat store (a location of The Village Hat Shop) but unfortunately it was only a 7 3/4 (biggest they had) so couldnt get a real good feel for the way it would look (unless I wanted it at the top of my head :) ).

What I am thinking is picking up the Sydney in charcoal (the only color they seem to make it this big in) since it will be going with my black with slight grey/blue pinstripes suit and then sometime down the road pick up the Temple in brown to go with khaki colors lol . The temple may have to wait until after the Panama from panamabob though...

Duck

Practically Family
Try the Hatco outlet in Garland, Texas. I was there friday, and they had a size 8 Stetson Pinnacle (sp). I really wanted one, but they didn't have one close to my size.[huh]

I65Stang

New in Town
Well I just ordered a Sydney in charcoal, it should get here Wednesday since I paid for 2 days shipping. :D

Duck, oh man, a Stetson Pinnacle in size 8 at the outlet store!? Did you happen to notice if it looked like it was a defective/return? I'm trying to think who I know that I could bribe to go by the store and check it out for me lol. I am kinda weary about calling them and buying one sight unseen based on what I have read here about some of the hats that end up there although for the price...

Thanks Mike! My wife decided she like the charcoal best lol .

Tim

MattJH

One Too Many
I've owned a Stetson Temple and an Akubra Sydney/Fedora. I no longer own the Stetson Temple. I wore the Akubra Sydney/Fedora the other day. The Akubra is soft, pliable, shapeable, you can change it at any time. Very nice. It could pass as a vintage hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats