Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Sydney vs. modern Borsalino Como

jbucklin

Practically Family
I just got a new jacket and only have one hat that matches it (sort of). I like the charcoal grey that the Sydney comes in and both David Morgan and Noggintops are selling them at $145. The Como comes in a similar color but is pretty expensive. Does anyone own these two hats, or at least been able to compare them side by side? I'm concerned about the amount of taper in the crown of the Como but also think it would be a better quality hat all around.

EggHead

Practically Family
I have a charcoal Sydney. It's a very soft hat all around, brim and crown. It's ribbon is black and doesn't standout much.
Crown is rather on the shorter side and has some taper. Sweat is wide, soft and comfortable.
Very comfortable to wear if that's your style.

Here is an old picture:
sqifew.jpg

Last edited:

MCrider

A-List Customer
Don't know about the Borsalino, but I do have the Sydney and the only negative comment I have is that it only comes in those two colors! If they ever make it in moonstone I may have found my perfect hat! Until then I'll just continue enjoying the charcoal. Good luck with your decision, but if you like the charcoal Sydney, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have a Charcoal Sydney also. It is the usual Akubra quality . I would imagine the Como is similar to the Allessandria in quality. Two different co's. each making quality hats. The Sydney is an open crown whereas the Como's I seen offered for sale are sold pre-creased. Myself, if I was to get another similar instyle, I'd stick with the Akubra. JMHO :)

Duper

Practically Family
Don't know about the Borsalino, but I do have the Sydney and the only negative comment I have is that it only comes in those two colors! If they ever make it in moonstone I may have found my perfect hat! Until then I'll just continue enjoying the charcoal. Good luck with your decision, but if you like the charcoal Sydney, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Moonstone, what a great idea! Have you looked at the other colours offered out of Australia? Burnt Oak or fern green.

EggHead

Practically Family
It's around 4". I have a different crease now. One problem I found, it's so soft, it doesn't hold the crease well. But the softness makes it more comfortable. And yes, that is a center dent. I also made pork-pie bash, holds better, but those side dents do not stay well.

Duper

Practically Family
My new Sydney in regency fawn arrived last Friday. It seems to like a center dent. I have mine at 4 3/8's at the front and 4 at the back. If you keep your eyes open Noggintops has pretty regular sales and you might pick one up at a discount.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Don't know about the Borsalino, but I do have the Sydney and the only negative comment I have is that it only comes in those two colors! If they ever make it in moonstone I may have found my perfect hat! Until then I'll just continue enjoying the charcoal.

Have you looked at the Stylemaster? This hat has near identical dimensions as the Sydney/Fedora but is pre-bashed, comes with a bound brim, and is available in Moonstone. Available through Hats Direct (who always has it in stock) or Everything Australian (up to three month wait).

Duper

Practically Family
Here are some shots of the fawn Sydney beside a Charcoal Akubra Casual. The Casual comes with a 4 " center dent crown at the front.

6886983937_4ab9005805_z.jpg

6886985789_4eaaa41e8b_z.jpg

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I understand that people really like their Akubras but I think that the modern Borsalino is a very nice hat and I like it more than the Akubra by far. If it rains, I'll be leaving the Borsalino at home and wearing the Akubra. It may be more important to you that the Akubra costs so much less, and if that is indeed a factor by all means buy the Akubra with my blessing (not that you need it).

If you want a very good quality hat with a lighter felt that is a lot easier to shape, go for the Borsalino. Also if you want dressier.

Tom

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
I own two Comos, one in charcoal and the other in a beautiful chocolate brown. I bought them from members on this forum. I think I paid $ 125 for one and $ 150 for the other. They are both beautiful hats, and I would guess they are approx. 1980's vintage. I love the detailing, like the stitched edge of the brims and the "hand" of the felt used. Although they are both Comos, they are very different from each other. The charcoal hat is stiffer with a "C" crown. Maintains it's shape well. Very similar to the Akubra Bogart I also own, but overall feels like a higher quality hat. The chocolate hat is incredible; gorgeous color, ultra soft and the crown has a center crease. This hat is so soft, when not being worn it seems to totally deform and loose its shape. But once I put it on, it has no problem maintaining its shape. It is so comfortable I forget I am wearing it! I have gotten a number of compliments from various people while wearing either hat. They just have that special Borsalino look to them. I just love the chocolate one and wear it virtually every day, maybe wear the gray one once a week. Before I got the chocolate one, the gray one was my everyday hat. These hats are much more expensive new, and from what I have read, the new ones have no where near the quality of the older hats. When it rains I wear my Akubra Angler or one of my Stetsons. I also have a couple of Allesandrios, but the Comos are my favorites by far.

Duper

Practically Family
LOL Actually in moonstone I own a Stylemaster (from Everything Australian) and a Fed IV (from Hats Direct). I just like the Sydney and would absolutely love it in moonstone.
And Duper, I have several hats in green and brown is just too Indy.

Can you have too many green hats? But seriously, moonstone is a great idea for a Sydney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot