Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra tapering

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I have noticed a pattern in a few of my Akubras as they age. After being wet from rain and snow several times the hats have tapered at the top of the crown. :( :confused: The black hat in my Avatar shows the effect. Anybody else experience this? Any solutions you can think of to protect my newer hats from this. I have a few hat stretchers that can handle sweat band shrinking but nothing for the crown. I did find an antique professional hat stretcher which looks like its split metal block would stretch the crown. I would invest in one if anybody with experience could let me know if it will accomplish the job. It is a real concern to me because they have really shrunk.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I have hit upon a solution (well, sort of). Buy a hat one size larger than you need. Use the foam to fit it to your head. This way, the hat shrinks evenly, top and bottom, and take out foam as it shrinks. This has worked real well with my Squatter. After a year and a half or so of regular wear, the hat fits my head now (no foam), and there is no appreciable taper. This was just an accidental discovery. I got a hat from David Morgan, and it was too big, but it was so beautifully blocked that I didn't want to send it back, risking getting one that wasn't shaped so wonderfully. It has worked out pretty well for me, and I think that's how I'm going to work it from now on. ;)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Akubra Man said:
I have noticed a pattern in a few of my Akubras as they age. After being wet from rain and snow several times the hats have tapered at the top of the crown. :( :confused: The black hat in my Avatar shows the effect. Anybody else experience this? Any solutions you can think of to protect my newer hats from this. I have a few hat stretchers that can handle sweat band shrinking but nothing for the crown. I did find an antique professional hat stretcher which looks like its split metal block would stretch the crown. I would invest in one if anybody with experience could let me know if it will accomplish the job. It is a real concern to me because they have really shrunk.

Like this?

P1040588A.jpg

I've had mine for over a year. Yes, it does the job. You soak the hat, put it on the block, and crank it out to the correct size according to the scale (if there is no sweatband in the hat). If there is a sweatband, use the next size smaller!
Most of these stretchers have a built-in heater, for quick drying. I prefer to let the hat dry naturally, for 1 1/2 days. After use, the aluminum begins to oxidize. I clean mine immediately with baby oil, wiping off the excess.

jpbales

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Like this?

P1040588A.jpg

I've had mine for over a year. Yes, it does the job. You soak the hat, put it on the block, and crank it out to the correct size according to the scale (if there is no sweatband in the hat). If there is a sweatband, use the next size smaller!
Most of these stretchers have a built-in heater, for quick drying. I prefer to let the hat dry naturally, for 1 1/2 days. After use, the aluminum begins to oxidize. I clean mine immediately with baby oil, wiping off the excess.

that looks sweet! I wish I had one!

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:
Like this?

P1040588A.jpg

That is the kind of machine I was referring to. Two solutions to my problem ... one going forward for new hats and the other to salvage some old ones.

This leads me to another thought about crown taper. Are my Akubras crowns more susceptible to tapering because they are made from rabbit?..and.. Would a hat made of beaver be less prone to tapering?

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Related question about beaver vs rabbit

Having just received my first two fur felt hats, I have a related question about beaver vs rabbit. I received an Akubra Fedora and an Akubra Casual about 2 weeks apart in the month of February. Here in Ohio, that means cold temperatures.

I tried on both of these hats as soon as they arrived and before they had warmed up to room temperature. Both were way too big right out of the box (still cold), and I'm talking falling down to my ears big. I received the Fedora first and I even thought I would have to send it back, even though it was the correct size of 7.5 (60).

I used a little felt on each one and got the hat to fit better, but what I found is that over the next day or two less felt was needed. I still have one strip of felt in the Fedora in the back, but the Casual needs none.

Staying on the topic of Akubra Man's OP, I wonder if I may not see the taper effect since these hats were a little on the large size to begin with. My other question is if anyone else has noticed such an impact on hat size as related to temperature, and if so is rabbit impacted more than beaver? Anyone notice this before?

WOMBAT

New in Town
I do like the akubra hats ecpecially for out in sun getting pictures from many locations around broken hill

DSCF3142.jpg

I have the same style used by the bush tucker man and I am still working on the shape

J.T.Marcus said:
...Most of these stretchers have a built-in heater, for quick drying. I prefer to let the hat dry naturally, for 1 1/2 days...
I was told that feature is for non-sweatband only & never use it with a sweatband or it'll mess up the leather.
I'd like to have one, too!

Goose.

Practically Family
ValEag said:
Staying on the topic of Akubra Man's OP, I wonder if I may not see the taper effect since these hats were a little on the large size to begin with. My other question is if anyone else has noticed such an impact on hat size as related to temperature, and if so is rabbit impacted more than beaver? Anyone notice this before?
Hey ValEag...
I searched for "taper" and found this thread.
My Casual has tapered signifcantly at the crown.
Bummed. :(

My Sydney has not.
Keep me posted on your Casual.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra Man
Yes a hat made from Beaver felt will be less likely to taper. I have two hats from Art and there is no taper at all. With that said I have no experience with western style beaver fir felt hats. At least not yet ;) And I make a point of not wearing my works of Art out in the pouring rain..... Hope that helps some.

Johnny

galopede

One of the Regulars
Interesting looking gadget that stretcher. I reckon I could knock one of those up from wood without much problem. Have to go see my mate at his woodyard and see if he has a suitable bit of hardwood log!

Gareth

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
galopede said:
Interesting looking gadget that stretcher. I reckon I could knock one of those up from wood without much problem. Have to go see my mate at his woodyard and see if he has a suitable bit of hardwood log!

Gareth

Be sure to post photos and a write-up. Sounds like a fascinating project. :)

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
Hey ValEag...
I searched for "taper" and found this thread.
My Casual has tapered signifcantly at the crown.
Bummed. :(

My Sydney has not.
Keep me posted on your Casual.

Goose. - So far the taper on both my Casual and Fedora are about the same as when I received them. I have noticed that the Casual seems to have shrunk more overall, it's a tighter fit than the Fedora, but not too snug. I still have a strip of felt in the back of the Fedora, but nothing in the Casual. Just took another peek at it and it seems to have the same angle of taper in the front as always.

I'm still considering another Fedora in Burnt Oak, but may wait awhile to see if the taper becomes a problem, or look for something similar in beaver fur.

Goose.

Practically Family
Thanks VaEag...
Yeah, I'm bummed. My Sydney/Fedora that I had over a decade never exhibited taper like this relatively new Casual after being worn in rain.

I've Hat Jack'ed the Casual and it helped, but the crown, when unbashed (in pic), crown taper near the top looks like the rabbit in Wombat's post. While not that extreme, it's noticeable and more akin to Chico Marx's lid. Look at the two pics and tell me I'm wrong LOL

495799760_xmLTt-Th-1.jpg
495796005_dEJrt-Th.jpg

How ironic that I went looking for a pic of Chico and today is his birthday. "Happy Birthday Chico" :)

Anyway, going to take a hint from you and others...Akubra or otherwise, while a 60 fits me perfectly, next time I'm going to order one size up.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Like this?

P1040588A.jpg

J.T., I used to love 35mm Fuji film ASA 200....good all around choice for indoor/outdoor. Do you still use that camera and film? Been using a digital for so long, I'd almost forgotten about my 35's.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
J.T., I used to love 35mm Fuji film ASA 200....good all around choice for indoor/outdoor. Do you still use that camera and film? Been using a digital for so long, I'd almost forgotten about my 35's.

I still shoot a roll of film, every once in a while. The local one hour lab will develop and cut (with no prints), for less than two dollars. I then scan the negatives into my computer, to be used for prints, slide shows, or whatever. I collected cameras (and sold at camera shows), for years. The camera in that picture is a Yashica Lynx 14. It's operational, but I haven't shot film in it yet. When I do, I'll have to include a shot of my wife's shrinking Akubra, just to keep on subject. :rolleyes:

Here's an old shot. As I recall, I had to do it again,not long after this picture was made.

P1040261.jpg

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Goose:
Thanks VaEag...
Yeah, I'm bummed.

I see your point! Literally and figuratively. Hope you can get it fixed.

Just curious, after wearing it in the rain, how did it dry - just room temp?

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Just picked up this Taper fighter on eBay

This is a 4 inch high hat stretcher I purchased on eBay. I have had a chance to use it on 2 Akubras that have tapered a lot and one has come back to close to the way it was new. It is not perfect but is significantly improved. The other is going to need more work. What I did is wet the crown and put the hat on the stretcher. It fills the crown fairly well and does a much better job than a 2 inch stretcher. I imagine a 6 inch version would be perfect.

StretcherB.jpg

stretcherA.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925