Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Value is Soaring Right Now

carter

I'll Lock Up
You're not alone.

Nice color. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like when you have it in your hands and on your head.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KeyGrip said:
That is a snarky hat. I don't recall ever seeing that model before, is it exclusive to Strand?

The Swing is only at Strand.

FYI: As a follow up I e-mailed Robert at Strand 'cause I feared (correctly) that I had mistakenly ordered a 55 :eek: rather than a 59. (It's late & I have had a few...ok) He made sure I had what I needed before he split for the pub (at 2:30 in the afternoon, what a civilized country!).
I cannot say enough good things about these fellas. He exchanged a half a dozen emails as well as a phone call with me on a Friday afternoon to make sure I was taken care of. Very, very nice.

stibbons

New in Town
Rick Blaine said:
I cannot say enough good things about these fellas. He exchanged a half a dozen emails as well as a phone call with me on a Friday afternoon to make sure I was taken care of. Very, very nice.

I've been to their shopfront in the Strand in the middle of the city a few times now and would second this. The service is always exceptionally good.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
stibbons said:
I've been to their shopfront in the Strand in the middle of the city a few times now and would second this. The service is always exceptionally good.
If that is their actual storefront on their website it looks like a really cool place to visit!

Couldn't take it anymore, ordered 2 Akubras this morning.:eusa_doh:

BobC

Rick Blaine said:
Given the superior exchange rate I finally succumbed (what, again?) to my baser nature and acquired this Akubra swing I have been eyeing (lusting after, I mean just look at that color!) for over a year. What th' hey, it'll likely never get this cheap again, eh?

strand3.jpg

One oh seven and change, shipped & insured from OZ.

And I must say Strand Hatters had a personal follow-up email to me within ten minutes informing me it'd ship first thing Monday morning (Sunday evening here)... 'Can’t wait
!

This one's an interesting hat. Looks nice and I like the color. I hadn't heard of Strand Hatters before either. Is it imperial quality or heritage quallity felt?

I just checked Hatsdirect and the Fed Deluxe IV is at $110 and change this morning.

BobC

indycop said:
If that is their actual storefront on their website it looks like a really cool place to visit!

Couldn't take it anymore, ordered 2 Akubras this morning.:eusa_doh:

I'm so glad to know I have company in my "misery". Sounds like you may want to add your UPS person to YOUR Christmas list. And don't forget your mail carrier. :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
This one's an interesting hat. Looks nice and I like the color. I hadn't heard of Strand Hatters before either. Is it imperial quality or heritage quallity felt?

I just checked Hatsdirect and the Fed Deluxe IV is at $110 and change this morning.
If it breaks $100 I'm in trouble! 3 hats on order from Mike, and 2 from hatsdirect.... only one for me though so technically it's only one little old hat........:rolleyes: ;) :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I got an email back from everything australian and they do in fact charge you at time of purchase at the current exchange rate. In case anybody was wondering.

univibe88

One Too Many
I ordered two hats from Hatsdirect myself :D

When you order two hats, the shipping only goes up a little bit. So when factoring in shipping, it lowers the cost per hat. It seems like a lot of folks here are very interested in picking up an Akubra right now. Perhaps buddy up and save on some shipping.

Also, Hatsdirect has the Campdraft in Silverbelly.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Help Me !! Help Me !!

Ok, you caught my intrest. But before I pull the triger, I need to know how my long oval will fit in the Akubra's.
In the past, I had understood that they ran more round than oval ??:( :(
Any advise....

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Yes, but . . .

indycop said:
I got an email back from everything australian and they do in fact charge you at time of purchase at the current exchange rate. In case anybody was wondering.
It takes a couple of days to process. I bought mine at the lowest price that I'd seen (at the time) and paid by debit card. By the time the transaction actually processed, the price had gone back up ~$4-$5. I know it's only a few bucks and won't make a huge difference with prices as low as they are, but the transaction in your bank account may not be exactly the same as on the purchase receipt.

MattJH

One Too Many
tinmanzzz said:
Ok, you caught my intrest. But before I pull the triger, I need to know how my long oval will fit in the Akubra's.
In the past, I had understood that they ran more round than oval ??:( :(
Any advise....

Akubras are definitely very round. Almost perfectly round. They're also built sturdily enough that you can literally place your knee inside of the hat and pull with your two hands to stretch it out into more of an oval shape. I suppose you could also order a size larger and use the foam buffers that come with it until the sweatband conforms to your head shape. If you were an extra-long oval, it may pose more of a problem, but you should be alright.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
THANKS Dumbjaw

Dumbjaw said:
Akubras are definitely very round. Almost perfectly round. They're also built sturdily enough that you can literally place your knee inside of the hat and pull with your two hands to stretch it out into more of an oval shape. I suppose you could also order a size larger and use the foam buffers that come with it until the sweatband conforms to your head shape. If you were an extra-long oval, it may pose more of a problem, but you should be alright.

Just a regular oval.;)
has anyone eles had experence with putting a OVAL head in a ROUND hat ???? :eek: :eek:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:

I just wrote to Hats By The Hundred to ask what their policy is on this. I ordered my Bogart (a 12-week special order) over a month ago, but my credit card hasn't been charged yet. I understand that they charge it when the hat arrives from the factory and they process the shipment - but I don't know whether the conversion rate was locked in on the day I placed the order, or if they use the current rate on the ship date.

I am curious to hear what they have to say. (The best-case scenario would be, "We'll use whichever conversion rate is more favorable to you." - but I really don't expect to hear that!)

PS - Coincidentally, I got a bulk email from them this morning pointing out that Akubras are fantastic buys at current conversion rates, so some of the dealers realize that there's a big opportunity now for more US business. (Heck, dealers who visit this forum can see for themselves!)

AlanC

^Currency conversion is done by your credit card company, not the store. So the store should simply charge you correct amount in AUD to your card, then the credit card company will convert it at the current daily rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24