Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AL - Simmons Bilt!

Oh, and I found this from the DP past - noting there's a fella with a glowing review named "Louis". I submit that this feller is none other than the LB - recently banned from TFL.

"The Fortune-Hunter is one of my old designs while working for another company over 20 years ago. Modeled after old Explorer jackets from the 30's and 40's it is a Lasting look that will never go out of style and is a True Heirloom jacket that can be handed down in the family.

RJL Ltd. Outfitters Proudly Presents this jacket made for us by Alexander Leathers of Scotland.
The finest hides sourced from throughout the world and then handcrafted into the best jackets you will ever buy for the money.. a true investment that can be handed down through the generations.... Always in Style.

Fortune-Hunter jacket and design (TM) Lanphier Designs c1996

Alexander Leathers of Scotland offers a lifetime Guarantee on Leather and Stitching under normal wear conditions and a One year Zipper Guarantee.

Customer testimonials:

"received jacket today. probably the first time i've directly contacted a seller re: how awesome an item is. man, this jacket is the nicest piece of casual wear i own. it's incredible. thanks for being reasonable on the price."

best,
louis (prefers to remain anonymous)
***Added by ButteMt61 - I bet he does...

Actor Gerard Butler had this to say: " Bobby, I have a weakness for a nice leather jacket and have to say that this Cafe racer Jacket you sent me in that Horween Steerhide is the the best I have had. I find myself reaching for it every day. Look forward to getting more. "

I have worked with a number of Jacket manufacturers over the years. This new company is made up of former Employees of a well known company and is making an incredible Product. The customer service is impeccable. I am one of the US representatives for the company and mainly work with them as a private wardrobist. Needless to say, you are buying a one of a kind jacket.

This jacket was custom made for RJL Ltd Travel and Adventure outfitters, The jacket is New with Tags attached and of course shows the superior Craftsmanship that Alexander is known for, They have been making a name for themselves throughout Europe, Asia and America and are a force to be reckoned with in the Bespoke leatherwear arena. Some of the quickest Turn around times in the industry, This jacket is ready for you.....

Myself or my assistant would be happy to answer any questions about any of the items we have for sale. This jacket has a waiting list and will be custom made to your measurements. Please contact me direct with sizing questions and an exact ETA. lead time is about 2-3weeks. This is also available in other colors and other hides.
Our customer service number is 402-575-8445

Remember this is natural Horsehide, It will have imperfections and it will start to grain and crease with age. That is what makes it unique. Every jacket takes on its own life and will be unique to its owner.

The Horsehide used in this jacket is Tanned by Horween in the USA. Simply the best available.

Jacket is made by hand in Selkirk Scotland.

For over 25 years now I have worked in the industry, working with a private clientele. Outfitting those discerning ladies and gentlemen with the best money can buy, not the most expensive. Unique items that you can hand down to your children and they will proudly use. My Company RJL Limited will be offering many unique items in the months to come, all made by hand and in limited numbers.

So do not hesitate to ask any questions, But remember the clothing and bags we sell are not meant to sit around and look pretty. They are made to wear and wear hard. You want that bag that looks aged and well worn. That is exactly what our bags are meant to do. Who wants a leather jacket that looks new... You want it to show the miles, to have already molded to your body shape and with the scratches and scuffs to show for it.

So we may not be for those dainty gentlemen that dont like to wrinkle their trousers..... Imagination, dreams and the desire to get out and see this world. That is what we are about. Live life.....

Shipping is Free!

Please email me with any questions."

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sandy A had plenty of opportunities to find out what sort of fantasist Will was, given that he was sniffing around Aero in 2011, well before he made his offer in 2012. Also, how stupid must Toohey be, having worked for Aero back in the 90s and then 'off the payroll', more recently, not to have seen what a charlatan Lauder was?
*oh, and while DP might claim that it's Horween HH, it's certainly not their CXL and, really, no different from any other chromed HH you might find.

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Sandy A had plenty of opportunities to find out what sort of fantasist Will was, given that he was sniffing around Aero in 2011, well before he made his offer in 2012. Also, how stupid must Toohey be, having worked for Aero back in the 90s and then 'off the payroll', more recently, not to have seen what a charlatan Lauder was?

Since we KNOW ST is the MD now, perhaps he should explain why he was working at Aero, off payroll, to "keep his hand in" right before he ends up at AL? Great practice, producing 108 jackets right before the founding of AL, no?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
What's the point if he's not? If he's a tough businessman that demands a lot from his employees? Does that mean he deserves to be stolen from and have a criminal take designs that took years to create and form a competitor?
You hit the nail on the head!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Drifterproductions.

Is that 'drifter' as in doesn't have a workshop of his own, so goes to the Aero factory at 4am, and 'productions' as in make leather jackets?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another AL/SB public relations coup. I've just had a vision: somewhere in Edinburgh as attorney, against his doctor's orders, is washing down two valiums with a glass of single malt and staring off into the middle distance.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Another AL/SB public relations coup. I've just had a vision: somewhere in Edinburgh as attorney, against his doctor's orders, is washing down two valiums with a glass of single malt and staring off into the middle distance.

How long do you think the meeting lasted until they came up with "say Ken is not nice"?

Superfluous

It appears that Drifter was operating under the misapprehension that he could come on TFL, flog the membership with unsubstantiated and demonstrably false statements, and easily overcome the well established record with little or no resistance. In the immortal words of Judas Priest, "you've got another thing comin'" Drifter. You might want to reevaluate that strategy.

We welcome your input Drifter, so long as it is supported by verifiable facts. Rather than spew your irrelevant opinions regarding the swell folks running AL, why not instead answer some of the important questions that have created the dark cloud over AL. You present yourself as an AL insider (and your enduring sales of new AL jackets confirms you insider status). Therefore, why not let us behind the curtain. Tell us SA's and AL's side of the story -- not in conclusory terms, but rather, with factual back-up. Start at the beginning, when SA first met WL and tried to purchase Aero. Go through the evolution of the relationship between SA, WL, ST and AL, from start to present. If SA, ST and AL are genuinely without fault, as you claim, the facts and the chronology of events should vindicate them.

Its easy to proclaim that someone is innocent or guilty, without supporting your conclusion. Here on TFL, our discussion is, for the most part, predicated on facts rather than unsupported conclusions. We have already analyzed the facts presented at the trial in great detail. We have also analyzed the publicly available information regarding AL. The one thing missing from our discussion is a complete, factual and accurate statement from AL. Drifter, you are in a position to provide that final piece of the puzzle. Seize the opportunity. Give us the facts from AL's perspective -- no conclusions -- just the facts. Prove once and for all that SA, ST and AL are genuinely without fault.

Notwithstanding my impassioned plea, I recognize that Drifter will almost certainly cower and slip away without further comment. He now understands that we here on TFL will not accept his conclusory proclamations. He now understands that, in order to make his case and impact public opinion, he must present facts. Unfortunately, Drifter is likely not up to the challenge. Perhaps thats because he knows, and must conceal, the truth. Regardless, Im confident that, with the possible exception of another convulsion of nonsensical babble, we have heard the last from Drifter.

Superfluous

How long do you think the meeting lasted until they came up with "say Ken is not nice"?

It is rather amusing. AL is its own worst enemy. As previously observed, AL could have avoided the vast majority of the recent scrutiny had it simply shut its mouth and stood silently in the darkness. Instead, AL thrust itself into the spotlight by issuing, then retracting, a disingenuous and inaccurate statement. Now, as AL attempts to escape its past through rebranding, Drifter stirs the pot yet again and reignites the conversation. At a time when a skillful surgeon is required, AL sends Drifter -- a ____ [pejorative characterization omitted] -- to save the day. Ill equipped for the task, Drifter predictably makes things even worse for AL. It is a comedy of errors. Public relations gone mad.

tropicalbob

I think Butte might be on to something re: the LB and DR deal. There are the exact same kinds of writing errors: punctuation, spelling, not the foggiest idea where a sentence ends and another is supposed to begin, capitalization free-for-all, etc. Of course, in Gaelic it all depends on context.

Makes one wonder about another possible US-based arm of this mess.
It would play into the things that we know and account for the defensive tone.
The more you know. The more you wonder.

tropicalbob

Yes, obviously Ken's a real S.O.B. Only such a demon would take in an 18y.o. with no future, train him, make him MD, and believe in him right up to the point where he found out the protege had robbed him of everything he could and tried to destroy the business he'd been entrusted with. Not nice at all.

Edward

Bartender
So, here's a question;

Does Alexander Leather/Sandy Alexander actually own the Simmons Bilt name? Or are they just using it? I mean, are they just making Simmons Bilt labels to put in their jackets?
Ken Calder owns the rights to the Aero name, which I understand he legally acquired after the original Aero in Beacon NY shut down (hence Aero in Scotland has the right to use original Aero patterns from the war).
But Simmons Bilt, what's the story on that? From Steve Toohey's 'About Us' disaster, it just looks like they spent a really long time on google searching for a defunct vintage brand name to use. Do they actually have legal right to do so? Who did they buy the name from? Who was the owner of that name before it was sold to AL?

The model may vary in the US, but here in the UK, you have to use a trademark in order to retain its validity. Unregistered marks, you lose the goodwill if someone else takes it up and you've not used it in years; registered marks become invalid if you don't register in good faith and keep it in use. Neither form is time-limited (unlike copyright, or patent), providing the mark is maintained in use. In this sort of vintage lifestyle product market, it's quite common for older marks to be revived. Marks that haven't been used for a long time, which can then be legitimately set up and protected by another party. This is how the Transatlantic Clothing Company were able to acquire the Aero mark; I should think that AL worked on the same basis with Simmonds Bilt.

Butte, I dunno. Thus far I haven't seen them excel at anything here other than to say the wrong thing at every turn. With months and months to prepare for this possible outcome, it boggles the imagination that they couldn't come up with a better plan for damage control.

Yes. Rebranding and launching an entire new line is the best thing to do for them to keep the business going in the long term, but they've gone at it all wrong. It really should have been left on the shelf til they were able to do the whole ting at once, designs and all. They seem to be making some very poor decisions with regards to how to progress the way forward, but then they have form in that regard.

I've seen and read enough and feel I'm informed enough to make my feelings known.

1. I own jackets from both companies, but truth be told only one from AL
2. I've received great product from both companies.
3. I have a semi-personal relationship with the Calder's as they've written me off-forum from time to time about jackets and things other than leather.
4. I have no personal relationship with anyone at AL.

Would I buy from AL again? Not right now, not after having read the trial narrative. I have and will continue to buy from Vanson, Aero and others as time, money and interest permit. Sloane has done us all a great service and I thank him and others who've tried to get to the bottom of this whole mess. Having spent a lifetime on the "outside" looking in I've a keen hunger for justice. I feel justice has been done to a degree. I don't know who all knew what, when and what they did in this... however I personally could not in all good conscience voluntarily give honest money to bad people. If that means that innocent staffers at AL suffer... it cannot be helped. As for "putting this all behind us" that's for every individual to decide for themselves. I don't think it'll end as long as AL/SB stays in business as currently constituted there's too much bad blood and ill will on all sides. I'd like folks to agree or politely "agree to disagree" but that's not always gonna happen in real life. So let's do the next best thing we can do.... continue to talk it out as civilly and intelligently as possible.

Worf

Bravo.

Are you kidding me? The Aeromarine is not an original Design by Aero? I have true vintage archives and that design was around far before Aero or Calder ever existed.

Aero have never claimed otherwise. The overall look of that particular jacket is historical and long out of design protection (that's the nature of vintage reproduction). However, the patterns which Aero have produced to make that jacket in a range of sizes are protected by law. Anyone can come along and copy the jacket, but only by looking at the design and working out their own pattern to create it. Anyone copying Aero's patterns is in breach of the law, and apt to face liability in any action taken against them.

You'll have to speak to DP in the only language he understands -- Gaelic.

You've misspelled "gibberish". He's certainly fluent in that.

I'm seeing more this:

My-Last-Words-ted-buckland-18735826-1280-720.jpg

than this:

th

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
O
The model may vary in the US, but here in the UK, you have to use a trademark in order to retain its validity. Unregistered marks, you lose the goodwill if someone else takes it up and you've not used it in years; registered marks become invalid if you don't register in good faith and keep it in use. Neither form is time-limited (unlike copyright, or patent), providing the mark is maintained in use. In this sort of vintage lifestyle product market, it's quite common for older marks to be revived. Marks that haven't been used for a long time, which can then be legitimately set up and protected by another party. This is how the Transatlantic Clothing Company were able to acquire the Aero mark; I should think that AL worked on the same basis with Simmonds Bilt.

Yes. Rebranding and launching an entire new line is the best thing to do for them to keep the business going in the long term, but they've gone at it all wrong. It really should have been left on the shelf til they were able to do the whole ting at once, designs and all. They seem to be making some very poor decisions with regards to how to progress the way forward, but then they have form in that regard.

Bravo.

Aero have never claimed otherwise. The overall look of that particular jacket is historical and long out of design protection (that's the nature of vintage reproduction). However, the patterns which Aero have produced to make that jacket in a range of sizes are protected by law. Anyone can come along and copy the jacket, but only by looking at the design and working out their own pattern to create it. Anyone copying Aero's patterns is in breach of the law, and apt to face liability in any action taken against them.

You've misspelled "gibberish". He's certainly fluent in that.

I'm seeing more this:

My-Last-Words-ted-buckland-18735826-1280-720.jpg

than this:

th

Outstanding as per usual Edward...:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner