Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AL - Simmons Bilt!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's just horrid, isn't it? Telling comment underneath about Cabourn originally selling through Debenhams, a lower mid-market chainstore.

IXL

One Too Many
Can someone post an image of that jacket, please? I'm not a member of the other forum and can't view it.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I remember a worse version of this jacket by Cabourn that had big canvas external pockets that looked like they'd been taken straight off a WWII Swedish Army parka.
Wasn't that the one that Alexander Leathers made for Cabourn?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
+1

Why is VLJ so serious business?

Because it exists solely so that a small clique of manufacturers who are connected behind the scenes can manage thier marketing and product image under the guise of an enthusiasts forum?
Speak out of turn, and the viscious little sh1ts will slap you down for having an opinion that's contrary to thier marketing 'love-in'.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Because it exists solely so that a small clique of manufacturers who are connected behind the scenes can manage thier marketing and product image under the guise of an enthusiasts forum?
Speak out of turn, and the viscious little sh1ts will slap you down for having an opinion that's contrary to thier marketing 'love-in'.

I don't think that's the case at all. Some of the VLJ guys are on here too. The forum just thrives on accuracy. Doesn't mean they're a nasty group of guys. Tbh I find them just as welcoming as anyone here. Just a different focus.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I don't think that's the case at all. Some of the VLJ guys are on here too. The forum just thrives on accuracy. Doesn't mean they're a nasty group of guys. Tbh I find them just as welcoming as anyone here. Just a different focus.

That's fair enough Nick. I'm speaking of my personal direct experience with VLJ only. There seemed to be only a handful of active members, and half of those were vendors. And they would rather insult me than take my money. Good business strategy!

Although I am prepared to concede that I am an abrasive grumpy old man.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That's fair enough Nick. I'm speaking of my personal direct experience with VLJ only. There seemed to be only a handful of active members, and half of those were vendors. And they would rather insult me than take my money. Good business strategy!

Although I am prepared to concede that I am an abrasive grumpy old man.

Big J, it's bad business for a vendor to insult a possible paying customer, even abrasive grumpy old men. :D

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've always thought there was something humorously pathetic about some of these guys and their salty, condescending tone, as though they've actually flown missions through flak-filled skies in their jackets. Please. They'd be afraid to wear them through a cloud a cigarette smoke.

phario

New in Town
lol SB/AL have got their work cut out trying to copy the originals, as a. there aren't, as far as I'm aware, a huge number out there and from the looks of the 'Clayton', whoever is doing the patterns (possibly Johnny Minto) really doesn't have 'an eye' for it.

Original: View attachment 33460

Copy: View attachment 33461

Hi,

I'm sorry for reviving an old thread, but I was looking into purchasing an AL jacket, and am interested about the Clayton. This was the only thread I could find discussing the jacket, but I didn't understand what Sloan1874 was saying. Is there something wrong with the styling on AL's Clayton jacket?

I'm somewhat torn on the mandarin collar as well, and don't know whether to go with this or a more traditional collar. And also apart from some small differences (front breast pocket), I'm not sure how the Clayton compares with the Half Belt.

Finally, where did you get the 'original' picture from? Is that a well known style from a certain maker?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot