Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alec Baldwin: Good-bye, Public Life

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A little something for the Baldwin detractors (strong language warning):

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2014/03/10/140310sh_shouts_rudnick

I think that's a little... un-creative... because it seems less specific about Baldwin and more aimed towards a generalized celebrity type- that of arrogance and self-centeredness. Put any number of actors names in there and you'd laugh. It's not really clever because there is nothing specific to his behavior and at best it's making fun of the celebrity a lot of us would like to see get kicked around a bit to knock some sense into his skull.

I have no problem with the fact that Baldwin's a self-centered little twit as long as he kept to himself. When he starts attacking others, being cruel, being homophobic, and blaming his actions on everyone else all while asking sympathy from the general public (which includes me) is when it bothers me. Man up (and if he was a woman I'd say woman up) and accept you did something wrong and do something about it. Don't cry to everyone how you are so wronged and hurt and can't be held responsible for the things you did.

But then I typically find things in the New Yorker to be not-that-funny.

I think that's a little... un-creative... because it seems less specific about Baldwin and more aimed towards a generalized celebrity type- that of arrogance and self-centeredness. Put any number of actors names in there and you'd laugh. It's not really clever because there is nothing specific to his behavior and at best it's making fun of the celebrity a lot of us would like to see get kicked around a bit to knock some sense into his skull.

I have no problem with the fact that Baldwin's a self-centered little twit as long as he kept to himself. When he starts attacking others, being cruel, being homophobic, and blaming his actions on everyone else all while asking sympathy from the general public (which includes me) is when it bothers me. Man up (and if he was a woman I'd say woman up) and accept you did something wrong and do something about it. Don't cry to everyone how you are so wronged and hurt and can't be held responsible for the things you did.

But then I typically find things in the New Yorker to be not-that-funny.

Works for me. :D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
We were talking about the Baldwin brouhaha at dinner last night when a gay man who was sitting at an adjoining table blurted out at us, "He's getting gangbanged by the Velvet Mafia!" Our table must have had a look of shock because he quickly added, "I can say that, because I'm gay....And it's true."

I was raised to be a sticks and stones kinda guy so I don't get upset at name calling but it is interesting to watch the drama that unfolds around these incidents. How hard does the offender get hammered and for how long.....what type of recompense is imposed by the offended group......to what degree will the offender rebound post mea culpa: to their previous stature, a fraction thereof or will they be decimated.

We were talking about the Baldwin brouhaha at dinner last night when a gay man who was sitting at an adjoining table blurted out at us, "He's getting gangbanged by the Velvet Mafia!" Our table must have had a look of shock because he quickly added, "I can say that, because I'm gay....And it's true."

I was raised to be a sticks and stones kinda guy so I don't get upset at name calling but it is interesting to watch the drama that unfolds around these incidents. How hard does the offender get hammered and for how long.....what type of recompense is imposed by the offended group......to what degree will the offender rebound post mea culpa: to their previous stature, a fraction thereof or will they be decimated.

I think you have Baldwin confused with an otherwise nice guy. I would be defending him myself if he hadn’t previously been a complete jackass all along. I can let a slip pass by but he has proven himself to be someone who probably has those ideas in his head natively. :doh: Combined with all the other stupidity, you have a hard time defending a moron who deserves what he gets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy