Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers Roadster Planning

schitzo

Suspended
How so? I've never handled a CXL steer so I am genuinely interested. :)

Thank you Nick123! I see where you're coming from. Though I can tell you, my experience with HH is, once it gets broken in, it becomes much, much more pliable and softer than any steer I've ever had.

uhh?

On this topic I've had an aero HB in FQHH that was totally broken in. Throw it on the floor and it would crumple in a heap, and with it on your back it would yield in any direction. However, the thing that doesn't change is the weight. For me a test that I apply is how does the jacket feel if I have to wear it all day, i.e. for longer than an hour or two. With wearing them all day I have found that heavy FQHH and heavy steerhide, irrespective of how good looking they may be, are just not practical. After a few hours in my experience the thing gets very uncomfortable, in particular around the neck and shoulder area. That said, if you just want to look good while you prance about for an hour or so then these leathers are probably a fine choice

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Nick123! I see where you're coming from. Though I can tell you, my experience with HH is, once it gets broken in, it becomes much, much more pliable and softer than any steer I've ever had. My first horse hide jacket was a Schott and while it may have been somewhat stiff right out of the box - there's a lot of talk about how stiff HH is but I never really found it bothersome - after only a year of wear, that jacket became so buttery soft and pliable that no steer, goat or lamb I've had could've compared to it. I've been through a number of high and low quality steer jackets, and neither one got close to the Schott HH in the terms of softness and wearability. I'm still finding that old Multipocket of mine somewhat of a pain as it hasn't properly gotten broken in even after all these years.

Maybe it's only the Schott HH that's like that - I still can't imagine any of my Aero's getting there yet, though time will tell - but hide is a hide so... I'm thinking if you guys have given the horse a little more time, I'm sure you would've found it to be exactly the kind of hide you're after.

I have no way of disproving this! I just jotted my initial thoughts down. But if the steer's comfortable out of the box (note-mine wasn't the HEAVY Aero-though same CXL but in 3.25-3.5oz) I feel it can only get better over time. Will the horse beat it down the road?...perhaps.

As the Horween blog pointed out, one hide isn't better than the other. They're just different. It's difficult to verbalize, but I prefer the steer. Both are very different than a lighter hide as Schitzo points out. If weight isn't your thing a goat or a comparable hide is a better choice. Up to the wearer's preference.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have to say Superfluous that that hasn't been my experience .... they both pretty much micrometer up identicaly at around 3.5oz equiv. ( I have had both Aero jackets in CXL Steer and Horse ) .... my experience of over 80 repro jackets ( 8 from Alexanders, 33 from Aero in Horween hides) that horse and steer are very similar in look and feel out of the box ( there are slight differences but hide for hide same spec finish etc. they are VERY similar). FQHH just seems to take much longer to wear in .. I can get a CXL steer jacket to crumple stage within 6 months of wearing ... ALL of my CXL horse jackets have taken much longer some have NEVER softened to this extent not even after 10 years of usage ( two of my VDR's)

It's a heavy product and needs a LOT of wearing to break it in ... no point in assuming that wearing it occasionally will soften it up ... this stuff stiffens up IN THE WARDROBE :D

Medium weight horse and steer and a MUCH more practical "wearer hide" .. and by wearer I mean non motorcycle usage hide. My wedium weight Aero FQHH Long Halfbelt has a shearling lining and Mouton collar and it's been my winter staple jacket for 8 years and was soft and supple right out of the box. Equally the vintage or tumbled FQHH is a much better hide to wear from the get go and much more on a par with CXL steer in terms of break in time .....

You pays yer money and takes yer choice .... but I steer clear ( no pun intended) of FQHH unless it's a bike jacket and I know it's gonna get a kicking by the elements and me .... and tend to favour mid weight or vintage / tumbled FQHH. CXL steer is fine ... as is Bison, Goat, Buffalo, Mongolian Horse, Steer and Norwegian Horse ... all of which I have tried.

Did I say something wrong?

I have no way of disproving this! I just jotted my initial thoughts down. But if the steer's comfortable out of the box (note-mine wasn't the HEAVY Aero-though same CXL but in 3.25-3.5oz) I feel it can only get better over time. Will the horse beat it down the road?...perhaps.

I understand completely. :) Oh, and I am sorry if it comes across as if I'm trying to convince you of anything, because I'm not. Just sharing my experience with these jackets, and since CXL steer is one leather I've never handled, it could very well be the most comfortable hide of them all. :)

They are all good hides, that's true. A few years back, almost an entire TFL would've sworn on the superiority of the horse but this seems to be changing.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I understand completely. :) Oh, and I am sorry if it comes across as if I'm trying to convince you of anything, because I'm not. Just sharing my experience with these jackets, and since CXL steer is one leather I've never handled, it could very well be the most comfortable hide of them all. :)

They are all good hides, that's true. A few years back, almost an entire TFL would've sworn on the superiority of the horse but this seems to be changing.

You're fine. If anything, I was a bit harsh in my first post in this thread by saying I'll never go back to FQHH. I shouldn't ever say never.

Plumbline

One Too Many
:D well you should :) Schitzo .... you're heading down the same road mon ami :)

I'm down to 16 in the collection ..... and only 3 Aero's and 2 Eastmans ( not counting the two I have for sale currently ) .... every time I get rid of a few I seem to find some others that I like :)

Monitor .... nothing against FQHH, I've owned MANY jackets in Horween CXL FQHH ... just go into it with your eyes open and your muscles prepared :D

schitzo

Suspended
:D well you should :) Schitzo .... you're heading down the same road mon ami :)

Ouch! You could be right. So far I'd guess I'm up to about 15 across an 8 year period, and like yourself, mostly aeros. But I'm in the queue now for a goodwear and my hope is that when I finally get it that's gonna change my wasteful ways! For good

schitzo

Suspended
Handy I've been thinking about you and your lovely wife a bit lately. And I've concluded that there are better, less selfish ways for you to spend $1500, than on a GW all for yourself. For example, (and I have many more) why not take her on holiday instead?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, really any purchase of a Goodwear has an unspoken and obligatory 'placatory' surcharge attached to it. :D That said, having had a good close look at GW's War Horse leather that Aero have, I'd say it's worth it. What's the waiting time now, two years?

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
The holiday is mandatory "because and in addition to" the Goodwear.....

The other concern I have, is that with all these losers piling up the orders on JC maybe the poor guy is gonna get burnout, and then where will we be? It seems to me we'd all be better off if he is slowly, consistently milked over a period of years. To plunder all the golden eggs at once makes no sense at all.

Tell you what, you cancel your order and I'll follow suit. Us two can get the ball rolling, for the greater good Handy

Last edited:
...but maybe if you're willing to send me and my wife on a week long vacation, I might consider trading spots. How's that sound Schitz?

the Seychelles.
the "might" comes as the timing is critical. He plans on starting tomorrow....You'd need to book the trip tonight!
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy