Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers Simmons and Aero Aeromarine Discussion

Edward

Bartender
In the 60's you bought an old beat up guitar because that's all you could afford, until you saved up enough money to get a nice, new shiney one. Now you pay extra to make it look beat up! To each their own i guess, but I prefer nice and new!!

I'm the same... I even prefer a nice modern polyurethane finish over nitro for the durability!

pauleway

Practically Family
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, Schitz. Maybe you are looking at a smartphone, rather than a decent monitor - I don't know. But when you get the chance, have a proper look:

Here are the collars. The Aero on the right ,has a shawl collar (like the original). The AlexCo has a Peter Pan collar - something I have rarely seen on a leather jacket, or many men's jackets at all, come to that.

collarcomp.jpg

And here are the bottoms of the jackets. The Aero, like the original, has a hem panel which gets deeper towards the middle, to accomodate the two buttons. The AlexCo has neither the deepening panel NOR the two buttons....

hemcomp.jpg

BTW, my idea of a "mall jacket" is something cheap, for folks who aren't too bothered about the details........So there you go:D;)

Don't know if anyone noticed, but Alexander Leathers has improved their design on the Simmons Bilt collar. Looks more like the "shawl" collar style instead of the so called "Peter Pan" collar! Saw a brown one on their web site.

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Good point Fanch. Surely DD's buttonholes, very nice as they are, are overly-complicated from a production point of view. How much would they add to time and cost? Is he charging Rolls Royce prices?

There are of course other subtle differences, but others can comment on those.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
This style seems to be big at the moment, and all of the jackets are gorgeous, but someone needs to draw the line and do something different.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Good point Fanch. Surely DD's buttonholes, very nice as they are, are overly-complicated from a production point of view. How much would they add to time and cost? Is he charging Rolls Royce prices?

There are of course other subtle differences, but others can comment on those.

I feel certain that the buttonholes done on DD's Hyklas jacket are very labor intensive, which would need to be reflected in his pricing. It is my understanding that DD also makes vintage military hats for Eastman.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
This style seems to be big at the moment, and all of the jackets are gorgeous, but someone needs to draw the line and do something different.

This style doesn't appeal to me at all. But if Aero would ever do this one again I'd be all over it:

$T2eC16JHJGkE9no8gJVdBRY+QEmN3g~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16dHJHoE9n3KgIktBRY+Qjyc+!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16dHJI!E9qSO9)YiBRY+QS5qf!~~60_57.JPG

I agree!
One of these companies needs to go with slash(handwarmer) pockets just to make their's different than the others...instead of all the same. Change something up..jeeze.
HD

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I guess the best analogy is several bands covering the same song. There will still be subtle differences in the art and that is to be celebrated. But someone needs to shake it up a bit!

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I agree Rudie! That's a great style with some nice unique features. Beautiful jacket..IMO!!
HD

Holly said this jacket was so difficult to make that only one of their machinists was able to do it. It's probably going to take a while until this jacket is resurrected ...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fair play to them for refining the pattern, but you'd think AL would be better waiting until they master a pattern, rather than rushing out an approximation of it and taking stick for it here. This is isn't the first time they've done this, the travesty of a Belstaff with colossal pockets didn't last long on the website either before it was replaced.
I wonder how long it'll take them to fix this one...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner