Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Makes it look a less professional operation than it could, though, and so risks putting off those people who care about such things. I've contemplated in the past offering my subbing services in exchange for a few jackets.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You're absolutely right. A well-written, well-presented web-page doesn't have to be an over-blown affair, it's generally better not to over-do it, and a lack of attention to the detail in presentation undermines confidence in other areas.
And for the record, having text centred rather than aligned to the left renders text nigh-on unreadable, it's just far too hard on the eyes.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Is it just my untrained eye or do those offerings look rather bland, character-less and ... dare I say it ... boring in their design? They almost look like what one can buy at the local mall or in a mid-range department store like Macy's or Belk.

I just don't see anything special there.
You might see a broadly similar design, but it would have pieced panels for economy, distressed lamb for softness and to make blemished skin usable, and fittings so flimsy they'd make your teeth rattle. And have one or more tacked-on design features meant to appeal to the eye but not the body.

Honestly, a product with simplicity of design usually costs more to make and more to market. It takes quality materials and can't differentiate itself to retailer or consumer.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
With all due respect for all vendors, if I was basing my purchases on the quality of grammar and spelling, I doubt I'd have bought anything by now. :D
A good craftsman shouldn't be too well spoken. His mind may wander from the physical world if it too readily gives voice to thoughts. That's when he'll stitch a beautiful piece of horse off center and ruin it.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Sounds like what you needed to downsize was your girlfriend ;-)

Spoken like the bachelor I used to be ….! :D I I’d have said precisely the same thing on upon a time.
Never say never ! ;-)

But I had some overlap in my collection. Having spent the best part of 5K Pounds at ELC (when I was single for the most part, of course), it was a fair point that I could stand to thin the wardrobe a bit and not fret about it. And shake up the look at the same time – a little less 1942. And the girlfriend’s happier. Very important !
She’s compromised too though. Since meeting me, she can’t wear her high heels anymore as I’m only an inch taller than her! Compromises. ;)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Since meeting me, she can’t wear her high heels anymore as I’m only an inch taller than her! Compromises. ;)

I don't get it. What has your height to do with her ability to wear high heels or not? I'd understand if she wouldn't wear them for health reasons, though.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This is why if a man isn't slightly taller than a woman, he should be slightly, but visibly, shorter. That way there's nothing that can be done, and she can wear what she likes.

The awkward zone is about 1 1/2" either side of her height. For instance, I'm 5'11", so a gal under 5'9 1/2" or over 6' 1/2" would look ok with me.

(Altho you're more likely to see a gal over 6' with a guy under 5'9" or over 6'3". Supply and demand, I suppose.)

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
I don't get it. What has your height to do with her ability to wear high heels or not? I'd understand if she wouldn't wear them for health reasons, though.

She just doesn’t like to wear them with me. What can I say ?

Perhaps I should just stop wearing them as well.
<kidding!!!> :p

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Stand By, here is the perfect high heeled footwear for you to add a couple of inches to your height:D

BD779E49-76E3-446D-BBB4-64A8BCD9F7EE-347-00000024996DFBF4.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
Hmm...my wife is almost 2 inches taller than I am and I love it when she puts on heels. Lets just say that when we are "face to face" I get to enjoy the view all that much more :)

Dirtrider in Seal Brown Goat or Jerky Horse?

I'm looking for a cafe racer style jacket that I can ride in immediately.
I have 2 bikes, 1 standard, 1 cruiser = 1979 Honda CB750, 2000 Harley Road King Classic.
I don't want the typical black MC jacket so I'm looking at Seal Brown.
I have a goat Indy jacket & love how it wears.
Would the goat Dirtrider be out of the box ready to ride more so than Jerky Horse?
I am assuming horse takes some break in time based on my Aero FQHH 50's HB but may be wrong.
TIA...

Plumbline

One Too Many
The samples I have of the jerky horse and the goat ... i'd choose the goat EVERY time ... it's AMAZINGLY good ( esp. in black) .. I would have got the long rider in black goat but was concerned re. the size of the skins vs. the cut of the front panels ... so decided against it. The dirtrider is a shorter design but ask the querstion as my experience is that goat skins are not so huge :)

The jerky horse is slightly thicker than the goat but there isn't much in it ... it's NOWHERE near the thickness or stiffness of FQHH. I'd say both would be wearable right out of the box .... but the goat is stunning ( did I mention this already :) )

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I agree with pl.i wouldnt want a bike jacket made with jerky horsehide...i never got to see fqhh from Aero when Will was in charge..but i hear its great:)

I agree with pl.i wouldnt want a bike jacket made with jerky horsehide...i never got to see fqhh from Aero when Will was in charge..but i hear its great:)

I couldn't resist the price reduction, so I pulled the trigger on the jerky horsehide Dirt Rider. It arrived while I was out riding my scooter. Guess I'll try it out tomorrow.
I like the hide & it feels a stout as my vintage Fidelity cafe racer. Will try to get some photos up tomorrow as well. I like the fit of the 44 I ordered. Very different from my FQHH 50s HB for sure...

Novos

One of the Regulars
Any word on fit? I'm a 42 now, but I got measurements on their 40s and they seem rather generous. 22" pit to pit fits me perfectly as a general rule, and their 40 supposedly is 22". Arm length and shoulder are good for the 40, too. Don't want to pull the trigger before I'm sure, anyone chime in here?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I bought a four pocket Roadster which I posted about on another thread. I have a Aero HWM in a 42 which measures the same as this in a 44, except that the shoulders are half an inch wider on the Roadster which is better for me. Both are 24" and a little bit pit to pit. So effectively they have gone one size down with this design which is constructed in the same way as the HWM. About four inches extra over the actual chest size is about right unless you want a very slim fit. Aero does go large on their boxier jackets.

Roadster jacket and arm lengths are the same as Aero in a standard 44 I think: 25.5" and 26". They took a little off the arms for me and sent it the same day.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Detroit / Dakota measurements approx

I was hoping for a 300 quid bargain, but these are not long enough in the back for me.

Dakota measurements approx for 46" chest

Armpit to armpit 24.5"
Sleeve length 26.5"
Back length 24.5"
Shoulders 20"

Detroit approx. for a 46

Armpit to armpit - 24.5"
Sleeve length - 26"
Back length - 26"
Shoulders - 19.5"

I was told the jackets are a trim cut, which is good news for me. I guess if I were a Plumbline kind of fellow I'd buy 2 sizes up. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24