Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's not a question of ownership, though, it's what you do with the brand and whether you're faithful to original spirit.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Never really had any issue with any of my Aero Irvins ... some didn't have the "right" zippers ( Talon and Aero Knitting Needle Company) but the fit was generally good. It's a bit like the old A-2 discussion ... if you want historical accuracy there are REALLY good historically accurate manufacturers out there but the price is at a premium and delivery wait is long ( but if that's what you want then you pays yer money and takes yer choice).

It's interesting that the ONLY manufacturer able to use the Irvin logo and name ( Aviation Leathercraft) don't produce anything close to the accuracy of WPG, Alexanders, Aero and others. Indeed their Irvin jacket bears little resemblence to the historical Irvins of the 40's.
I love my aviation leathercraft irvin......:-(

Plumbline

One Too Many
My IRVINE by Aviation Leathercraft was great too ....

not historically accurate ( but then if that's your bag you wouldn't be buying one anyway) ... but their lightweight Irvin is a STUNNING jacket and GREAT to wear ( I find the full version a little unweildy :0) ) and ITS GOT POCKETS :) :) :)

Sloanie .. who know's what Aero ( the original companies) original spirit was ... I suspect it was ( like most others at that time) to make money and stay in business ( hence why they made large quantities of jackets for the defence sector) ...... I'm not sure it was/is the same as Transatlantic today ( but we will almost certainly never know) !!!!!

( of course the title should say IRVIN ... damn you apple !!! :) )

I reckon all the original WWII contract jacket makers were typical US Govt contractors. Follow the plans and best as they could as cheap as they could. Period. Today, we spend upwards of $1000-$2000 a pop for an item they cranked out - and cared about - as much as pants, boots, and tin cans. Aren't hobbies fun? lol

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Dunno about that Butte....I saved my arse off and have 2 Harleys, neither on the road at the minute, with summer in Oz dying in front of my eyes, I bought a fishing kayak this summer and went nuts, then came new rods, sexy new carbon paddle, and a fish finder that cost a bomb etc....then came the idea to get serious about jackets.....so, hobbies whilst fun, nearly got me working 2 jobs! Defeats the purpose a bit I would think.....wouldnt be dead for quids.....

Dunno about that Butte....I saved my arse off and have 2 Harleys, neither on the road at the minute, with summer in Oz dying in front of my eyes, I bought a fishing kayak this summer and went nuts, then came new rods, sexy new carbon paddle, and a fish finder that cost a bomb etc....then came the idea to get serious about jackets.....so, hobbies whilst fun, nearly got me working 2 jobs! Defeats the purpose a bit I would think.....wouldnt be dead for quids.....
Sounds like me a few years back. Had tp scale life back. Not because of money, but I felt owned by things. My wife too. We've been selling and giving away lots in the last year. I already feel better. One job is enough thank you lol

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Im hearing you mate.....just 4 more jackets and another Harley, and a couple of watches and Im done....promise......maybe.....

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Its not a sin Butte.....just expensive and easily damaged.....might just go back to collecting beer coolers and shot glasses....;)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
It's not a hobby, guys! That makes it sound like collecting Elvis memorabilia. It's about dressing well, appreciating classically beautiful and superbly made things. It's a way of living! Hobbies are for guys who wear blouson mall jackets.

SJ

IXL

One Too Many
I purchased a Rolex watch when I was 19 years old. I still wear it, except when on duty. I don't know if I would do it again at this point in my life, but at the time I felt so, so grown up; so "Miami Vice"-like.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I purchased a Rolex watch when I was 19 years old. I still wear it, except when on duty. I don't know if I would do it again at this point in my life, but at the time I felt so, so grown up; so "Miami Vice"-like.

If you purchased your Rolex watch when you were 19 years old, you could likely sell it for more than you originally paid. The Rolex sports models tend to hold their value the best, although their best seller is their Datejust.

Why do these have to go together???I just bought a vintage Omega that I love...all manual, no date, super simple. Unlike many of these jacket decisions. ;-)
With watches, you pretty much get what they sell. Not much customizing, sans possible straps/bracelets. That's why there's no battles. That, and the Swiss are pretty much neutral and don't love battling like the rest of us apparently do lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21