Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
To the non-rider, that has to be the single most incomprehensible post ever on these boards. I know it's in English, but the rest is a total mystery...:first: :confused:

I am really sorry wdw what can I say even in my day job I deal with the incompressible. When it comes to Harley talk well what can I say the post speaks for itself.

wdw

One Too Many
No problem. It made me laugh, anyway. Your jacket looks great on you, by the way. No need for any concerns at all.

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
Maybe this will help my everyday bike is a springer twin cam softtail. It has upswept pipes and a lowering kit. I didn't want the fat arse option because I am a bit old school.

Subject is moving a long way off from my new drifter AL.

beanieman

New in Town
The Nuts.....

mvgf3n.jpg
[/IMG]

mkkryx.png

Cooperson

One Too Many
Nice looking jacket beanieman. You'll get requests to show us what it looks like when it's being worn, so I'll get in first :). How's the fit?

frussell

One Too Many
beanieman - at first glance on my crummy monitor, I thought you had purchased yourself a golden jacket. Now I see it's just the shine of new leather. Looks great, congratulations. Frank

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
I see Will's decided to repeat the sins of Aero's old Irvin design: tubular arms and teddy bear shearling. [huh]

Here's my original Irvin. A large jacket 25" across the chest with long 27" arms. The arms are narrower than a size 44 Eastman I used to own.
The arms on the Eastman seem to have elephantiasis. What's wrong with the AL pattern arms in the tubular sense ?

AAA016.jpg

0022.jpg

Alexander:

irvin_6_.jpg

irvin_3_.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
To my eyes they look like the tubular arms that Aero's old arms had that the likes of aswatland ascribed as inaccurate, maybe we should ask him for a ruling :D. But more than that, the ironed, teddy bear-ish shearling is, I think, off the mark. I remember one former FL-er actually dipped their Aero in hot water and then allowed it to dry in order to 're-kink' it. Seems a bit extreme but there you go...

To my eyes they look like the tubular arms that Aero's old arms had that the likes of aswatland ascribed as inaccurate, maybe we should ask him for a ruling :D. But more than that, the ironed, teddy bear-ish shearling is, I think, off the mark. I remember one former FL-er actually dipped their Aero in hot water and then allowed it to dry in order to 're-kink' it. Seems a bit extreme but there you go...
No, you're right. I think Worf bought it? The sheerling looks much better another getting soaked a bunch of times. As for Irvin's, if I were getting one, it would be Jon's. He's on VLJ and is making great looking jackets. There was some other super-secret flop that never appeared there ”AM something or other". But they had a killer zipper I read lol

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
John Lever can probably explain the tubular bit as well. He has discussed a redesign with Will Lauder at Aero. For someone like me who has never handled an Aero it's difficult to understand.

Teddy bear fur, easy fix. Here's my ELC B-6. Used to have straight fleece. Cold wool cycle in the washing machine and it comes out looking like merino.

IMG_0943.jpg

ELC B-3 washed

normal_B3arepro-2.jpg

My current YMC B-3. No washing needed just a bit of wear.

IMG_0879.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think it's something to do with the size of the arm hole relative to the cuff. A nice set of shearlings there, btw.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Never really had any issue with any of my Aero Irvins ... some didn't have the "right" zippers ( Talon and Aero Knitting Needle Company) but the fit was generally good. It's a bit like the old A-2 discussion ... if you want historical accuracy there are REALLY good historically accurate manufacturers out there but the price is at a premium and delivery wait is long ( but if that's what you want then you pays yer money and takes yer choice).

It's interesting that the ONLY manufacturer able to use the Irvin logo and name ( Aviation Leathercraft) don't produce anything close to the accuracy of WPG, Alexanders, Aero and others. Indeed their Irvin jacket bears little resemblence to the historical Irvins of the 40's.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Yup .. they bought it .. so they can ( I'm not sure Transatlantic actually had to buy "Aero" they just sort of aquired it ... but I don't know enough about the history in the 1980's ... a priinciple that Gary challenged in the 90's) !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner