Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Dolled-Up for the Holidays

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
What are all of you other gals out there doing for your holiday look?

Every year we have Christmas dinner with the whole family and everyone gets kind of dressed up for the event. I have done a deep red pedicure and plan to do the nails as well, will have Rimmel "Scream" red lips, curled (currently light red) hair, a royal blue cardigan sweater over a grey blouse, with a black skirt, black hosiery and black high heeled shoes. I am so excited about the look!

ShortClara

One Too Many
No one gets dolled up in my family - but I will. I end up going out to dinner or to parties and I'll be the only one dressed up, but I don't care! :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
I am often in a floor length gown and my brother in law shows up in sweats. He won't change, nor will I. I love getting dressed up and if my family cannot indulge me in that - well to heck with 'em. I have too many dresses and too few places to wear them so I love getting dolled up.

It may just be the girls this year so I plan on getting a few of them to let me pin curl their hair the night before. Practice makes perfect - right?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm having a holiday/birthday party this weekend. I traditionally wear a 1950's apron with poinsettias all over it at that do ('tis a yearly event). I'll probably wear my new red shoes, but no idea what dress yet. Maybe my 1950's black one with the black velvet bow? Hmm...

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Haha! Yes, notice I said "kind of dress up." I guess that means that mostly only the gals dress up. The boys get "cleaned up," i.e., use a bar of soap and drag a comb through their hair. :D

Happy birthday, if it is a party for your birthday imoldfashioned!

Hillocks

New in Town
2 weeks ago I went suit shopping with my boyfriend (just regular 2007 suit) but with a little pinstripe in it. So he will weare his suit, I wear classic black trousers and a gold sparkling butterfly-kind-a shirt with black high heel boots. Not very retro but it is dressed-up ;)
About the hair, I want to get a kind-of bob next week so don't know how that will look [huh]
I'm not a girly girl but dressing up foor the holiday is allways fun!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
VanillaT said:
Happy birthday, if it is a party for your birthday imoldfashioned!

Thanks for the sentiment VanillaT but it's for a friend who routinely gets gyped out of a party because her birthday is 1 week before Christmas. It will be the day after my 6 month birthday though, come to think of it.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Just last night I was playing around, did the whole "glamour girl" look and took pics in front of the tree. It was the dress I was going to wear for the formal night at the QM. I might do this for Christmas when I go to my sisters house just for the the heck of it. But when I was trying to up load them ( I was using my daughters cam) it wouldn't work :rage: I was so mad.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Here's a picture of husband and I dressed up for a our Christmas cards. I'll probably wear the same thing for Christmas.

2099545597_97ab915754_m.jpg

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
What a wonderfull photo, Audrey!

In Norway, we eat Cristmas dinner and open the presesnts on Cristmas Eve, (24th,) and to not dress up is generally frowned upon. Not that you need to do tuxedoes and gowns, but anything less than dresses for the girls and suits for the menfolk is not acsepted at Cristmas Dinner. I like that tradition!

My husband will wear one of his beautyful suits we bought in Mexico this summer. It's modern, but the suits there were more classic cut: Double breasted and with pleated pants. Much more becoming on my largely build man than todays stupid slim-fit silhuette!

I will wear either my 80s-does-20s all-over sequined silk dress. (I must remember to post a picture of it, I think you would like it!) or my wonderfull self-made bright red 40s pattern gown.

Oh, I love the holydays!

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Helen Troy, I totally agree-- I love pleated pants and wish whole heartedly that they would come back in style... both for men and women!

Foofoogal

Banned
I traditionally wear a 1950's apron with poinsettias all over it at that do ('tis a yearly event).

I was just thinking about this today. I am going to start an annual thing this year. I collect the hostess Christmas aprons which during the 50s all women had the apron to cook in and then changed to the pearls and the fancy aprons. I have decided I am going to share them with my daughter, DIL and my 2 grandaughters who are 10 and 9. We will get all dressed up and strut around in our sequin aprons. lol I think the girls are old enough they would take care of them. Hope it goes over well.
Going to wear my vintage green silk brocade outfit to dinner. Been dying to wear it somewhere.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Morning and Evening

Christmas morning outfits are white w/red snowflake pajamas or gowns. There will be photo's! As I have been requested to stop shopping for myself [huh] I am going to ask a few questions because there is a emerald green velvet dress that I think I will be wearing no matter who buys it. I need a hostess apron though. I LOVE those.:eusa_clap

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So many outfits, so little time...

We have a large crowd of vintage friends, and always a few parties to dress for! There's the annual Xmas bash at TLQ's house - she just got a pale green and silver piano, so I had better dress to match it as I will be chained to it a large part of the night! We also try to go caroling in furs and hats (and fedoras on the gents) at least once (looks like Wednesday the 19th, I will post an invitation in Events), and then New Year's Day is the annual "Hair of the Dog Lingerie Lounge", which has an additional Edward Gorey theme to it this year... so I guess I had better get cracking and find something to wear...

Jonny's Angel

New in Town
Christmas Day will be a small casual affair at home, so for me it will be hair rolled at front with a snood at the back, simple make-up, black trousers, a cute cherry print blouse, and a festive red sweater on the top, with my pearls.

Naama

Practically Family
We will only have small family gathering, not many people in the family and nobody is really into dressing up that much (except for me ;) ) So I don't think I will put too much effort into my looks, I wish everyone would get really fancy, but no....
I'm much more thinking about finding something great for new years eve!

Naama

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm working on my New Year's Eve dress, a peacock blue taffeta wiggle dress. I haven't decided what I'm going to do for a Christmas dress. I may just make a navy crepe dress so I can get a few more Sundays out of it. If I don't have enough time after finished the NYE dress, I'll probably just wear my black with pink polka dots dress. Right now, it's the only dress I have that fits well.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I don't think I have anything special to wear for Christmas day, and even so, I'd be the only one dressed up. I may just wear a nice black pencil skirt with a grey sweater top. And of course do my hair up because what's the point of dressing up if you can't ahve fancy ahir and makeup! ha ha!! If I were going out for NYE, I'd make more of an effort, but alas.. no plans for us.

Antje

One Too Many
I don't know If i'm going to dress up,
I hope its gonna freez here so I can go ice skating so i don't have to dress up.
I'm not a real christmas girl, I like old years day (oudjaarsdag in holland)
I think I'm gonna dress up then

Dani California

Familiar Face
In my family, we dress up for xmas eve (church, etc). Christmas day is all about pajamas (unless we have company)....which I just bought the most adorable cherry printed p.j's from Target. For xmas eve, I'm thinking about wearing my pale grey wool long skirt (very 40's cut skirt) and a pale blue blouse with my red high heels. Actually, now that I think about it, I have to wear pantyhose since I'll be in cold Virginia and not California where I don't need them. What color hose? Nude fishnet kind?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24