Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Lips and Nails shades for that Vintage look

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
After Cherry Lips commented about my lipstick shade matching my 40's outfit in another section, I thought I'd start a new thread in the Beauty arena. Its fun to share and we can always pickup new ideas and tips from each other...

AS I am New in Town I hope this isn't too redundant- please forgive me in advance if this has been gone over already (probably has).

How about sharing with us here:

1)What "Season" are you, if you know? Otherwise please tell us your coloring.

2)What lipstick and nail polish brand names and shades work for you with vintage stuff that you like to wear?

3)What era do you mostly wear for vintage? Tell us your favorite "look" that you tend to gravitate towards.

4)Post a picture or two of yourself wearing these or even a pic of just the products with your message to illustrate.

I'll start!

I am a "Spring", a warm season. I have a warm fair complexion with light golden freckles, brown eyes. My natural hair color is light golden brown, I was strawberry blonde as a baby. I color my hair mostly in warm golden shades these days, or with a bit of strawberry red in it, but the red always fades to golden blonde on me 'cuz I swim.

I have my basic set of makeup that I wear all the time that goes with all my clothes and matches my skin coloring well (vintage and modern). My best shades I've chosen through lots of trial and error over the years.

TIP! if you can, keep at least TWO of each shade around the house. That way if you lose one, you've got a backup or in case a shade gets discontinued.

LIPS: The main lipstick color I grab for my vintage look is 1) Clinique "REDREDRED". The other fave is 2) Revlon Moondrops line "Chinaglaze Red", though to me its what I would describe as a bright pink geranium shade.

NAILS: Disclaimer- I can never seem to do a good job of painting my own nails so usually before an event I'll get them done and do touchup myself later. Hence the nail salon brand here rather than store bought.

Right now, I've got two current favorites for red nails to get me that special 1940's look. 1) Sation brand from a local nail place. Color is "170 Antique Red", a lovely warm shade 2) Sation brand again. Color is "53 Red Pink", a bit brighter and very fun.

My best ERA: My vintage look is mostly 1940's as it works best with my figure type. I have been these wearing lip and nail shades with all my primarily vintage 40s and Art Deco era stuff or modern facsimile thereof for quite some time now.

I also love the Edwardian era too, but have no clothes or hats for that one- I just admire! I really like the Gibson Girl look...

358982573.jpg
359087666.jpg
359087671.jpg

Please excuse the non vintage hair in the first two pics here, I haven't learned how to do it yet!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
You should take a look back through the Beauty forum. There are separate, HUGE threads for nail and lipstick colours.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Sure, it's a lot of information, and chances are you won't read through it all. It does make it easier for everyone (including our bartenders!) if it's consolidated in one place though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner