Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All of a sudden.... she woke up!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lol at all of the above-accounts. Unfortunately, I can relate all too well. My wife is so fed up with my excessive jackets and other clothing items that she adamantly refuses to walk into my closet (which is larger than her closet -- don't ask).

I have all my jackets, and other clothing purchases, delivered to my office. Then, like others have described, I sneak them into the house when the coast is clear. I frequently keep jackets/clothing in my car for several days until an opportunity arrives for the transfer to my closet. Then, when I wear the new jacket, I get the "is that a new jacket" observation, to which I respond "no dear, you have seen this jacket many times."

I try to balance things out by frequently purchasing pursues, shoes etc for my wife. While she appreciates the thought, it does not compensate for yet anther unnecessary jacket purchase.

Unlike many here, I cannot justify my purchases by the climate. I live desert adjacent and, therefore, multiple jackets are far from necessary.

Its also amusing to hear others describe the evolution of their OCD/addictive personalities. Whether it be flashlights, guns, watches or cars, we are all remarkably similar.

Maybe the wives/girlfriends/significant others of FL members should be the ones getting the professional help? They could all share stories about how their husbands/boyfriends/significant others spend too much money buying and WAY too much time "researching" leather jackets.

Perhaps there should be a support group thread for the frustrated wives. My old lady could use it.

This already exists . . . its called Al-Anon: http://www.al-anon.org/

Glenville86

Familiar Face
I collect functional swords, hats and leather jackets. Lucky for me that I get home from work an hour before my wife. She has quite a few coats, purses, shoes and boots. I do sneak everything into the house just to avoid conflict. Whenever she gets in a mood about my hobbies, I remind her that her income is her money to do with as she wants and that I pay everything from my income and to leave me alone. Usually does not fly however........

dan_t

Practically Family
This is a classic!
I've bought a couple of jackets recently & so far the Wifey has been cool with it. Although she can't really comprehend why I'd need any more than a single jacket.
I am planning a second Aero right now, so need to get my story straight at some point in the next 6 weeks or so........
The real problem is that she doesn't collect anything at all, so it leaves me with limited ammunition.
Oh my, first world problems!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I've bought and sold so many now that my wife can't keep up.

Its all down to confidence lol. Just tell her, "No honey, remember I sold that black one you didn't like and replaced it with this one....."

Azog

Familiar Face
I've got more than one in all the regular colours, russet, brown, seal, black so she doesn't know exactly what I've got. Also, I usually work from home and can deal with hiding the box before she gets home from her work. Sometimes though, I'll get questioned going by the smell of the jacket, like if we are in the car together. "I haven't smelt that one before. Did you buy another jacket?...!"she asks. Then me lying or telling the truth. Neither option works out well.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Lol at all of the above-accounts. Unfortunately, I can relate all too well. My wife is so fed up with my excessive jackets and other clothing items that she adamantly refuses to walk into my closet (which is larger than her closet -- don't ask).

I have all my jackets, and other clothing purchases, delivered to my office. Then, like others have described, I sneak them into the house when the coast is clear. I frequently keep jackets/clothing in my car for several days until an opportunity arrives for the transfer to my closet. Then, when I wear the new jacket, I get the "is that a new jacket" observation, to which I respond "no dear, you have seen this jacket many times."

I try to balance things out by frequently purchasing pursues, shoes etc for my wife. While she appreciates the thought, it does not compensate for yet anther unnecessary jacket purchase.

Unlike many here, I cannot justify my purchases by the climate. I live desert adjacent and, therefore, multiple jackets are far from necessary.

Its also amusing to hear others describe the evolution of their OCD/addictive personalities. Whether it be flashlights, guns, watches or cars, we are all remarkably similar.

This already exists . . . its called Al-Anon: http://www.al-anon.org/

+1 on the "you've seen this one before", which usually gets a puzzled look and then she goes on with her day.

Feraud

Bartender
Ahh, this a very familiar scenario for most of us Worf. I can certainly commiserate with you my friend. Maybe the wives/girlfriends/significant others of FL members should be the ones getting the professional help? They could all share stories about how their husbands/boyfriends/significant others spend too much money buying and WAY too much time "researching" leather jackets.
The last thing we want are the wives getting together sharing stories. I say divide and conquer! When the wife complains, kindly listen but make her feel like she is the only who feels that way!

Last edited:

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
Fun story.:roll:

Worf, you made a rookie mistake there.

Rule 1 never bring facts and logic in an argument with a woman, all they know about is emotions and knee jerk reaction.:cool:

Simply stand your ground.

I collect functional swords, hats and leather jackets. Lucky for me that I get home from work an hour before my wife. She has quite a few coats, purses, shoes and boots. I do sneak everything into the house just to avoid conflict. Whenever she gets in a mood about my hobbies, I remind her that her income is her money to do with as she wants and that I pay everything from my income and to leave me alone. Usually does not fly however........

This is exactly what I tell mine. We both have jobs and both pay the bills so why should I ask for permision... As long as none of us is running broke for nonsensical purchases I don't see any problems. No needs for me to use mental gymnastics or acting like a teenager sneaking beer/cigarettes in his room.

This is exactly what I tell mine. We both have jobs and both pay the bills so why should I ask for permision... As long as none of us is running broke for nonsensical purchases I don't see any problems. No needs for me to use mental gymnastics or acting like a teenager sneaking beer/cigarettes in his room.

I've been waiting patiently for someone to finally take this stand. I couldn't/wouldn't have a relationship where Wifey or girlfriend came across more as Mommy. However...you can tell by this thread..that many seem to even enjoy that game and find a certain humor that they can relate to each other. I couldn't in any way feel comfortable with sneaking or being dishonest to skirt around what must be an issue in most male/female connections. We must be among the more uncommon few. In fact..I have had friends who seem angry that I haven't ever felt the need to hide my true intentions in 36 years of marriage. Even in past dating (years ago) some female companions seemed to expect a contest of 'mental gymnastics' (good description)..probably since Dad and Mom worked it that way and it seemed the best way to always give Mom the upper hand. Some of us just never found that game very desirable or even acceptable. [huh]
HD

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
IMO this thread was essentially about a combination of levity and friendly banter going back and forth. For Pete’s sake, even one of the Mods chimed in with a couple of comments. I think that most of us are pretty much transparent with what we do at home (or should be). No question that other family members sometimes shake their collective heads at our hobby(s). Anyhow, this thread did make me smile, as opposed to a couple of other threads on TFL that did not. No fun at all to read about someone’s “bargains” and how we are all a bunch of dumbbells for not doing same. [huh]

triple-d

A-List Customer
imo this thread was essentially about a combination of levity and friendly banter going back and forth. For pete’s sake, even one of the mods chimed in with a couple of comments. I think that most of us are pretty much transparent with what we do at home (or should be). No question that other family members sometimes shake their collective heads at our hobby(s). Anyhow, this thread did make me smile, as opposed to a couple of other threads on tfl that did not. No fun at all to read about someone’s “bargains” and how we are all a bunch of dumbbells for not doing same. [huh]

Bingo.........I'm with Fanch......lol

IMO this thread was essentially about a combination of levity and friendly banter going back and forth. For Pete’s sake, even one of the Mods chimed in with a couple of comments. I think that most of us are pretty much transparent with what we do at home (or should be). No question that other family members sometimes shake their collective heads at our hobby(s). Anyhow, this thread did make me smile, as opposed to a couple of other threads on TFL that did not. No fun at all to read about someone’s “bargains” and how we are all a bunch of dumbbells for not doing same. [huh]

Fanch
I do understand where the back and forth humor is 'coming from' concerning the topic of this thread..but guess I am shaking my head more at the approach of diverting things around the headmaster of the household..than bewilderment at collecting what some might consider obsessive luxury items. As far as a self described bargain master lecturing dumbbells coming across as quite ludicrous and boring...I totally agree.
HD

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yep HD, I knew that. Much of what has been said by almost all on this thread has been said tongue in cheek but always keeping in mind that other family members, mine included, often fail to understand the nature of our hobbies. Not sure I understand it either ... :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It's all in good fun. I do agree with your earlier statement "As far as a self described bargain master lecturing dumbbells coming across as quite ludicrous and boring" suck the joy right out of visiting here.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
I've been waiting patiently for someone to finally take this stand. I couldn't/wouldn't have a relationship where Wifey or girlfriend came across more as Mommy. However...you can tell by this thread..that many seem to even enjoy that game and find a certain humor that they can relate to each other. I couldn't in any way feel comfortable with sneaking or being dishonest to skirt around what must be an issue in most male/female connections. We must be among the more uncommon few. In fact..I have had friends who seem angry that I haven't ever felt the need to hide my true intentions in 36 years of marriage. Even in past dating (years ago) some female companions seemed to expect a contest of 'mental gymnastics' (good description)..probably since Dad and Mom worked it that way and it seemed the best way to always give Mom the upper hand. Some of us just never found that game very desirable or even acceptable. [huh]
HD

Well if my first language was English my post would read like that HD. :eusa_clap

Damo

A-List Customer
Love this thread. Now which stance do I take here, the I play hide and sneak or kick down the front door pounding on my chest "look at my brand new leather jacket in a different shade of brown" way. Well considering I've lead my wife to believe that I've returned 2 vanson choppers for full refund (waiting on a custom chopper already paid in full to be made), and that my impulse schott 141 buy is the custom made Johnsons Leathers I've been working on for the past couple of months (I will be picking up during march break along with black 1000 mile Morley's). I would like for all to believe the latter.

Now unfortunately I've paid full price on my Johnsons leather jacket however with great dedication and perseverance I hope to some day master the art of buying jackets for way less than retail price (making sure that people who pay retail know they are inferior) and selling them for profits so I can quit my day job is just around the corner...

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Sorry it took so long for me to get back... man there are some gems in here! I'm smiling, grinning and laughin'!!!!! Ohhh my sides hurt. Yeah she was chidin' me but she's never nasty or churlish... more exasperated than anything else. Like others here I started out collecting other things, vintage bass guitars, orphan brand speakers... Everything I've collected gets used trust me... rotation is a wonderful thing. I love this place... where men can be men, as they plot to outwit women!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy