Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All of a sudden.... she woke up!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Since the kids no longer away wasting my money in college... he's commuting now, my disposable income has... shall we say, reached a new level. I'm in that wonderful zone now where if I see's a jacket or coat, I just buy it or order it. The ole lady's working on her doctorate, Junior (no I didn't name him after me) is off in his own world, and I've been free to get and open UPS and Postal packages at will with nary a question asked. It's been heaven... However, as we all know "all good things must come to an end".

Puddin' decided to have some of her students over (she's already teaching some labs at the local Uni) for a little hen party. I was out and about. When I got home I found her fumin' and foamin'.

"I try to have some people over and there's barely a free seat in the house! Leather jackets everywhere. I go to put them in the closet and there's no room! Once I got it open I could barely close the door! How many coats and jackets does one man need? Is this some new fetish??? Do you need to see someone about it?"

It went on like this for some time. Once the initial assault was over it settled into a series of running battles. I, of course, foolishly pointed out that she had 6 closets to my 2! I also retorted how she has clothes with tags on em that HAVE NEVER BEEN WORN! I did come to my senses however and did not point out that she also has wardrobes for the 3 or 4 dress sizes she's put on since she started this whole Doctoral thing. I may be brash but I'm not stupid.

Sigh... so now I'm back to sneaking and peeking. I managed to get a Viet Nam era N3-B in the house (wearing it today) before the naval blockade started. But hey... these is the conditions that pervail!

Worf

pawineguy

One Too Many
Haha, I feel your pain man. I note that it wasn't an issue until she had the hens over. I'm sure all it took was for one young woman to say "wow, your husband has a lot of jackets..." I have (cautiously) pointed out to my wife on many occasions that she's always ok with my habits or hobbies until one of her friends says something. For the record, she's an Ivy League PhD in a science field, but she leaves any scientific logic on the side when dealing with me.

Stand By

One Too Many
Oh dear.
I do empathize completely. And there's no use in using logic like the fact she has more closet space - or could open an independent shoe store. Oh no. That won't fly. And you were wrong to bring it up.
As GTDean says, you just can't beat a good interception on the porch/side door. Anything for the quiet life.
My sympathies.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Ah Dave, I have the solution to the problem: insist that the closet ratio be changed to 5:3 ratio and 4:4 would be even more equitable. :D lol

Gromulus

Practically Family

"I try to have some people over and there's barely a free seat in the house! Leather jackets everywhere. I go to put them in the closet and there's no room! Once I got it open I could barely close the door! How many coats and jackets does one man need? Is this some new fetish??? Do you need to see someone about it?"

Worf

This is hilarious Worf.......................and oh so familiar. My wife also thinks I am crazy: "First it was guns, then knives, then flashlights, then bicycles, then kayaks, then extra things for your sports car... now it's hats and leather jackets!" I told her at least my hobbies are getting somewhat less expensive, but that doesn't seem to carry much weight.

"Stealth mode" only helps so much - good luck!

Barabus

New in Town
I feel a certain brotherhood. First tools, guns, knives (funny how these go together), bikes, flashlights, Alden shell cordovan shoes, and now jackets and hats. I just fess up early and claim addiction. Timing of the confession is everything then not leaving them out. Your biggest miss is flaunting these by leaving them out.

I would never show my wife all the guns at once. Not because I have too many but she would see more than two pistols and two rifles and think I had duplicates. Same with hats.

Great post btw. Almost spit coffee.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I can buy what I want, no questions asked. Both my wife and daughter ride horses. I can never reach the expenditure level of owning a horse (well, I paid for half of it), buying the saddle and all the gear, clothes, lessons, competitions, what have you. So I leave my leather jackets all over the place. I buy less golf clubs these days, though...

strokes1251

Practically Family
I share ur same luck too worf. This new job gives me enough disposable income to buy whatever jacket I want and boy have I done it! Lol I bought the real mccoys a2 listed on here and even snagged a b2 from lost worlds which should be at my home when I get off work today :D hell I even got me my grail watch and engineer boots! Life is good worf enjoy ur jackets! :D

kaiser

A-List Customer
I have a jacket coming in tomorrow according to the German postal tracking site, the problem is that I have not told the wife about this purchase

Stand By

One Too Many
I have a jacket coming in tomorrow according to the German postal tracking site, the problem is that I have not told the wife about this purchase

Confession is good for the soul, so they say. You may wish to consider it.
Or not. In that case, please post pictures from the Emergency Room - or the shed to where you'll be banished! :)
But hey, you get the jacket! :)

Good luck!

Peacoat

Bartender
Good story Worf. My "Puddin" said no more peacoats, so I started on the leather jackets. I am down to about 15 peacoats, and maybe about same on leather jackets. Plus there are a bunch of non leather jackets. There truly is no more space in my closets.

When my wife asks me what I do with so many peacoats and leather jackets, I say, "I wear them, what else do you think I do with them?" I also point out that the weather changes frequently and drastically here in Middle Tennessee, from down around zero up to the upper 40s with snow and sleet one day and rain the next. I explain that it is only prudent to be prepared for whatever weather situation presents itself on a day to day basis. But I think I am at the saturation level with jackets and coats. Time to move to something else. I have already done the flashlights, binoculars, motorcycles, boots, horses and saddles, to name a few. She is as bad with the horses and saddles as I am, so that helps a bit. We are down to seven Thoroughbreds and Thoroughbred crosses, but she is thinking about getting another one for a hunt horse.

As cold as it gets where you are, I think your Puddin' would understand the weather argument. That might be the way to approach it. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy