Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PRE-WAR WAREINGS IRVIN

I received this Irvin earlier in the week and have restored it. It is most likely a size 5, although pre-war jackets were not sized in this way. The fleece is supple and strong and has benefitted from one light coat of Pecards. I have replaced the post war Lightning main zip with the correct single trunnion brass DOT. The later collar buckle has been replaced with the correct rings. The elastic strap has been mended and is now secured properly. The sleeve zips are the rare un-marked DOT variety which were only used in the 1930s. Wareings had one pre-War contract, 22534/35/C.I, which was awarded in 1935 and was continued until 1939. They retained the first five letters and added the date and the last one I have seen from this contract has a 39 instead of the 35. The jacket has the wide belt loops and fine linked chain, which was typical of Irvins by this maker. Here are a few pictures taken earlier today.

011-40.jpg

013-47.jpg

014-37.jpg

018-34.jpg

006-43.jpg

007-42.jpg

aswatland

One can see how Ian's 1940 IAC jacket compares with my earlier Wareing's jacket. Both are made from short pile fleece and are constructed much the same way. Notice the narrower belt loops on the 1940 jacket and the larger links in the chain. The sleeve zips differ in that the 1940 jacket has single trunnion brass DOTs whilst the Wareings jacket has nickle double trunnion unmarked DOTs.

GreyBadger

New in Town
Hi all!

A quick hello... Have just found this site, and loving it. I first saw an Irvin 'in the flesh' at a hotel in Prague which had one and a pair of lether flying boots on display, and just fell for 'the look'. I'm sure you all know what I mean...

I am now attempting to buy an original, and it wouldn't sit in my wardrobe! I love the look of the one Andrew has for sale on eBay, multiple paneled Links with the shaggy fleece lining, but alas it is too small.

I shall keep my eyes open - if anybody hears of anything similar to fit a 6'2" me with a 39" chest, please yell! I believe size 5 or 6 is what I should be after.

Looking forward to more Irvin discussion - thanks Andrew for answering my questions on eBay - very appreciated.

Regards,
James

aswatland

I would think a size 6 or 7 would be about right for you James. These larger sizes rarely come up for sale and I will let you know if I find one.

Windsock

A-List Customer
James, you would easily fit a size 5. Im 6'2" and am a size 46-48 chest and my 1941 Wareings fits me perfectly (and it will be for sale shortly when I get me head around the idea and some time to list it)...

P5090157-Copy.jpg

aswatland

Wareings jackets tend to fit larger than other makes, in terms of body length. IAC jackets from the same year 1941 are often a couple of inches shorter in the body and late war size 5s are even shorter. Just check the measurements with the sellers.

Naphtali

Practically Family
aswatland said:
Yes Irvins were treated with a polyacrilic top coat but they don't tend to crack in quite the same pronounced way as B-3s. B-3s are notorious for surface flaking, which is not so often the case with Irvins. This may be due to differences in the lacquer and perhaps the type of sheepskin used.
Two unrelated questions:

1. How do sizes identified 1, 2, 3, . . . [and up] translate into sport coat-speak - 38 regular, . . . [and up]? I had believed the single digit numbers were associated with women's sizing.

2. Regarding surface flaking of B-3 jackets, is this cosmetic only, or do best-quality reproduction B-3s, in fact, deteriorate significantly more quickly and more dramatically than best-quality Irvin reproductions?

aswatland

Naphtali said:
Two unrelated questions:

1. How do sizes identified 1, 2, 3, . . . [and up] translate into sport coat-speak - 38 regular, . . . [and up]? I had believed the single digit numbers were associated with women's sizing.

As far as your question about original Irvin sizes go, pre-War Irvins usually had a chest size in them, but wartime ones were sized from 1 through to 8. There is a sizing chart for Irvins in a sticky at the start of this forum. The measurements on the label (if there is one still attached) take into account the jacket being worn over an RAF service uniform. The actual sizing of original Irvins varied from contractor to contractor and its best to go on the actual sizes of each jacket.

rikbb

Familiar Face
hello there

Windsock said:
James, you would easily fit a size 5. Im 6'2" and am a size 46-48 chest and my 1941 Wareings fits me perfectly (and it will be for sale shortly when I get me head around the idea and some time to list it)...

— I am interested too, tell me when you think of selling it,
rik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR