Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Irvins at Duxford

Since the last post here was in March, I feel this thread needs reviving. Here are some pics from last Sunday or Paddy, Soren and I wearing Irvins at Duxford. Which ones are original?

DUXFORD2010006.jpg

026-25.jpg

023-27.jpg

077.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Andrew, I know for a fact that Søren's is an Aero repro.

Yours I'm fairly certain is an original. I'm not as sure with Paddy's but I think it might be an original as well.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Wow! Lookin good there guys. Sorens is his Aero repro, Andrews is original, and I'm fairly sure Paddys is his size 6 or 7 original that he picked up as a set with a pair of matching trousers several months back.

aswatland

Spot on boys. Soren's is indeed an Aero. Mine is a 1941-2 Wareing's jacket in a size 6 and Paddy's is a size 5 D.G.L Irvin.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Andrew, that Wareings is obviously way too big for you. I have an almost identical size 5 that i'd be willing to trade...;)

Great shots and Stanford-Tuck looks to be enjoying himself as well.

aswatland

Windsock said:
Andrew, that Wareings is obviously way too big for you. I have an almost identical size 5 that i'd be willing to trade...;)

Great shots and Stanford-Tuck looks to be enjoying himself as well.

Andrew you are too kind, but I've had this baby for over four years and she is staying put. BTW, I thought you were intending to sell your size 5 Wareings Irvin?

aswatland

IRVINS WITH LESS SHEEN

I know some members here like shiny Irvins. This is fine but originals varied from almost matt to varying degrees of sheen. Of course very worn Irvins which have lost their protective polyacrilic surface coating are quite matt today.Here are some pics of three originals in my collection with varying degrees of sheen. The pictures were taken in the sun and they have in reality less sheen.

1. Pre-War Wareings' Irvin. I have taken close-up shots of the leather.

001-52.jpg

003-63.jpg

004-53.jpg

2. 1940 DGL Irvin.

005-59.jpg

007-61.jpg

3. 1941-2 DG.Ltd Irvin. This one has the most sheen, but is still not as shiny as many repros, and this includes the sections not exposed to the light.

009-68.jpg

011-60.jpg

I have yet to see a repro Irvin that completely replicates the finish of wartime sheepskin, although the new ELC 1944 jacket is very close. Uusally on repros the skins are too thin.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting those Andrew. Very interesting to see the degree of difference in sheen on various originals.

BTW, they are all beautiful by that 1940 DGL is just stunning.

aswatland

Thanks Tim. Yes the 1940 DGL jacket is one of my favourites. I have never seen a similar DGL jacket so I guess it was a very small contract. Here is a picture of Air Vice Marshal Hugh Lloyd, the AOC of Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Forces wearing a 1940 DGL Irvin in 1944. His Beaufighter is behind him. Mine could even be the same jacket! BTW I changed the main zip pull as the original cast Dot broke. The one Lloyd is wearing has cast Dot zip pulls, the typical long narrow belt loops, over large zip securing rivets, identical collar shape and colour. It is definitely not an IAC jacket.

016-51.jpg

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
Great photos, Andrew. Now the pecard on my ELC '42 has completely dried, the finish is remarkably similar looking to the last jacket you posted. Not shiny, but with a smooth subtle sheen to the surface. The problem I had with the distressed finish on the ELC was that it killed the colour, turning it a very greyish shade, and it felt incredibly dry to the touch. It now has a richer and deeper colour and feels lovely. The colour is very like the one worn by Air Vice Marshal Hugh Lloyd in your photo. It would be interesting, if we're ever in the same neck of the woods, to compare it directly with an original of yours.

aswatland

BaggyPants said:
Great photos, Andrew. Now the pecard on my ELC '42 has completely dried, the finish is remarkably similar looking to the last jacket you posted. Not shiny, but with a smooth subtle sheen to the surface. The problem I had with the distressed finish on the ELC was that it killed the colour, turning it a very greyish shade, and it felt incredibly dry to the touch. It now has a richer and deeper colour and feels lovely. The colour is very like the one worn by Air Vice Marshal Hugh Lloyd in your photo. It would be interesting, if we're ever in the same neck of the woods, to compare it directly with an original of yours.

Why don't you post some pics of your 42 Irvin in the repro section?

If you ever come to a Duxford air show let me know then we can compare jackets!

Gee

Familiar Face
First post by new member

Hello all, I have been following this thread for a long time now and have learnt a lot from the discussions, so thank you all for the education. I am new to this kind of site so please excuse me if I don't get the ettiquette right straight away.
Best regards,
Pete

Gee

Familiar Face
Musty old original.

Hello all, and thank you to Andrew for some advice received via Geoff Pringle as to how do freshen up a musty smelling Irvin. I have two jackets, one a fantastic Wareings CC bought from Geoff. The other one, which I think is a pre-war/early war I.A.C. was bought from ebay. This is in somewhat less than fantastic condition, but I love it anyway, problem is I'm also quite keen on my wife who can't stand the smell of the thing. I turned it inside out and hung it in a shady spot for four days, even giving it gentle blasts from a compressed air blow gun. The smell has improved, but not disappeared. So I am hoping Andrew or other members may have experience of other techniques which may solve the problem. Maybe I should just persist with the fresh air treatment, it seemed to make a huge difference for the first couple of days, but further airing seemed to be less effective. Many thanks for any advice.
Best regards,
Pete

Gee

Familiar Face
Just to let you guys know, I have persisted with the fresh air approach and can report continued, albeit frustratingly slow, progress with what must have been the world's mustiest Irvin. Assuming current rate of progress the jacket should be only mildly toxic in another few days. Could anyone give me some advice as to the best possible way of storing an old Irvin in order to 1. Preserve it in the best possible way. 2. Further freshen it up, or at least prevent the mustiness from returning.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Best,
Pete

Gee

Familiar Face
Thank you very much for the advice Andrew. I will certainly be ordering the products on the link and following the procedures to the letter. If I might ask one more favour it would be to ask how best to store originals - I have heard that the safest thing is to keep them flat and out of sunlight, but also that cedar boxes are best - your jackets always look to be in amazing condition - how do you store your collection?
Best regards,
Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner