Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I don't like it!
I don't want one like that.
I don't like it!
I don't want one like that....:eusa_doh:

It's bloody fantastic, Andrew - and envy is such a bad thing.;)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Soren. I might bring it to Duxford and show it to you in the flesh. I suspect it will be more A2 weather on 4th September. I bought it for much less than the price of the ELC Devon fleece Irvin. It has just had one coat of Pecards and nothing else was needed doing to it. All the stitching is 100% in tact and original.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
aswatland said:
Thanks Soren. I might bring it to Duxford and show it to you in the flesh. I suspect it will be more A2 weather on 4th September. I bought it for much less than the price of the ELC Devon fleece Irvin. It has just had one coat of Pecards and nothing else was needed doing to it. All the stitching is 100% in tact and original.

Please do, Andrew - if it's not too much trouble. I'll love to see it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well done Andrew, that's a stunner. Fleece is a good, practical length as well, not too "fluffy" if you know what I mean. You'll get a lot of wear out of that once the weather starts cooling off in Blighty.

Good job!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just want to share this great shot - with 4 pre-war Irvin jackets.
(It's pilots from 249 Sq in 1940)

-1.jpg

aswatland

This is a really iconic picture Soren. All four Irvins appear to be pre-or early War production and look relatively new. From the photos I would say they were made in Letchworth, Herts.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Andrew your early Air Chute Irvin for me is the Holy Grail of Irvins. If you ever need to move it on I am here waiting!!!

It is the same as my early Air chute only.....yours is in err 'slightly' better condition!!

Well done old boy you must be very pleased.

James.

Africa star

New in Town
Irvin Jacket Manufacturer please??

Hello All, I have just purchased my first Genuine Irvin Jacket and would like to try and find out if anyone can suggest it's manufacturer. It is Devon breed Sheepskin and has four panels back and front. It also has Lightning AM zips allround. The leather has a suede look and feel all over with some croming on the front lower panels.Approx size 44. No label and a leather hanger instaed of a chain. Any Ideas?? Thanks.

aswatland

Your jacket most likely dates from 1941-3. As to the maker I would need to see detailed pictures of the jacket including the collar, zips, belt, collar rings and under arm gussets. It could be the work of several makers.

This post really should be moved to the original Irvin thread.

Africa star

New in Town
Hello Andrew, I hoped you would be the one that replied, as you seem to know your Irvins!. Here's a link to some primative photos of the jacket. I will post in the right thred in future, Regards, Scott.

012-1.jpg

aswatland

Hi Scott, It could be one of three makers, the most likely being Irvin Air Chute, but larger photos would extremely helpful.

Africa star

New in Town
Just out of interest, how does one wear an Irvin? fastened or unfastened?. I peronally like to wear jackets unfastened, which is a good thing, as my original irvin will not fasten because of my chest size. It fits well in every other respect. I had the chance of buying a repro in my size, but guessed it would be better to spend the money on an original knowing i would someday get my money back or make on it. So is it deemed cool to let everything hang loose??:confused:

aswatland

Dudleydoright said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I thought the thread to which you refer was a reference thread rather than an 'EVERYTHING' Irvin related. This thread doesn't add to our knowledge of Irvins so why move it to an already impossibly over-populated thread Andrew? It's difficult enough as it is to find things without having to read the whole thing anyways.

Are you saying we need everything Aero / everything GW / everything A-2 etc etc threads ?

Is that how a headmaster's mind works ? lol lol

Leave the moderating to the Mods, eh ?

Dave, once again you seem to be looking for an argument and are trying to make it personal. The large original Irvin thread was created so anyone interested in Irvins would look there. The idea was that anything relating to Irvins would be there not in separate threads making it easier to find the information. If you have a problem with this please contact the moderators rather than having a snipe at me.

aswatland

Africa star said:
Just out of interest, how does one wear an Irvin? fastened or unfastened?. I peronally like to wear jackets unfastened, which is a good thing, as my original irvin will not fasten because of my chest size. It fits well in every other respect. I had the chance of buying a repro in my size, but guessed it would be better to spend the money on an original knowing i would someday get my money back or make on it. So is it deemed cool to let everything hang loose??:confused:

It probably a matter of personal taste. I have seen originals worn done up, partly unzipped and completely unzipped. Unless it is very cold they look most stylish like this:-

026-29.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gentlemen .

ALL things pertaining to ORIGINAL IRVINS goes IN HERE please. That's the way it is. End of. And that's the final word of the Management Team.

Thank you for your continued cooperation in making this the GREAT REFERENCE thread that it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko