Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very true Paddy. Any chance of the first enormous Irvin thread being a sticky? It would be helpful to everyone including those new to Irvins.

Gee

Familiar Face
It would be a crying shame not to keep it. I have learnt so much from reading these threads (I actually didn't know the first Irvin thread existed, and had read both the original and repro threads before finding it). A long slog to read it all, but definitely worth the effort. Thanks for all the information gentlemen.
Andrew, do you have any means of contacting Roger Koh / The Leather Doctor on the site you reccomended? I have tried to register on the site, but without success, tried emailing about registration problem, but so far without response.
Best regards,
Pete

aswatland

Original Irvins in your collection.

If you own an original Irvin or Irvins perhaps you would like to post some pictures of them. Here are some of mine, with several photos taken today.

1933 Irvin Air Chute
007-65.jpg

008-69.jpg

C. 1939 Irvin Air Chute electrically wired Irvin-size 5
006-27.jpg

1940 D.G.L Irvin-size 6
005-59.jpg

1941-2 D.G.Ltd Irvin. Size 5
009-68.jpg

1941-2 Wareings size 6
001-59.jpg

002-67.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Great photos Andrew :eusa_clap

All are beauties but as you know I love that 1940 DGL and the black fleece Irvin.

If you ever decide to let that DGL go.... ;)

aswatland

Tim, you have a great eye for ultra rare Irvins! How many black sheep Irvins do you see for sale? I have only ever seen two others. I have never seen another 1940 D.G.L Irvin, so it was most likely a very small contract. So selling either jacket to upgrade is highly unlikely.:)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
aswatland said:
Tim, you have a great eye for ultra rare Irvins! How many black sheep Irvins do you see for sale? I have only ever seen two others. I have never seen another 1940 D.G.L Irvin, so it was most likely a very small contract. So selling either jacket to upgrade is highly unlikely.:)

Bugger! Was worth a try though :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for reminding me of all the Irvins I should've had, Andrew;)
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Really like the 1940 DGL (size6) - guesse I am a sucker for as few panels as possible.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Recent catch-up

This is a little overdue, but last month I enjoyed a multitude of beers in the fine company of Smithy during a recent trip to Melbourne.

I had planned to drop by my hotel and pick up my Irvin on my way but ran out of time-hence me in my Hartmann. After a while sitting outside on a Melbourne winters and despite our alcoholic intake I eventually gave in to the cold and nicked up to my Hotel room to fetch my ex-RNZAF pre-War 2 panel.

Had a bloody great time catching up, and Tim, it does indeed look good on you- sorry I had to take it back!

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Haha! Look at the state of me! Bloody shirt hanging out and looking a bit wonky as well. I seem to have pulled it together by the last shot. Probably a combination of the ales, whiskies and an Irvin!

Was such a fun evening Andrew and a great pleasure to finally meet you. As I said over at VLJ, when you are next in town, a huge roast dinner and bottle of scotch shall be waiting!

aswatland

PRE-WAR IRVIN

I have been on the look out for a really decent, wearable pre-War Irvin for sometime now. At long last I have managed to acquire one that is 100% original, with no issues whatsoever that is a good fit as well! This one has been stored since the War. It was made by Irvin Air Chute and exhibits all their customary high quality workmanship. The fleece is the sought-after close pile variety and the skin side has wonderful red tones where the darker surface has worn off. I particularly like the contrasting lighter brown seam tapes and belt. The zips are still painted black and are the un-marked DOT variety that were generally only used on pre-War contracts. The stopper box is stamped "Dot British" rather than the more common "Dot made in England". The hanging chain is in pristine condition and it was a nice bonus to find the original elastic strap in place behind the collar. The jacket dates from the years 1938-9 and is one of the best preserved jackets from this time that I have seen.

021-32.jpg

026-29.jpg

002-68.jpg

003-70.jpg

011-66.jpg

015-66.jpg

004-57.jpg

006-68.jpg

008-70.jpg

009-73.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Awesome!!

Our US cousins overuse this term for the most minor of things, but in this case, it is appropriate!!! Just amazing Andrew..!! Obviously getting it ready for the BoB weekend at DX.

aswatland

Thanks Paddy. Its the best pre-War Irvin I have every owned that is a good fit on me. It may be too warm to wear this beauty at Duxford so I may have to wear my latest origianl A2, a near mint RW 16159 in a size 44 instead.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner