Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Buco

Familiar Face
Another example of what i believe to be an Irvin Air chute, mid 30s. Like the one shown above this is also in beautiful condition with only minor wear

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here

This one sold for a tidy sum considering the smaller size and wear to the collar and cuffs. It was made in London by Links. It was bought by a dealer in Irvin jackets.

aswatland

Another example of what i believe to be an Irvin Air chute, mid 30s. Like the one shown above this is also in beautiful condition with only minor wear

This is actually a Wareings jacket dating to 1938-9, having all the features associated with this maker-large collar rings, wide belt loops and a collar with right angled corners. It was misidescribed on Ebay.

aswatland

D.F.C. recipient's Later War Irvin
I was able to buy this extremely well preserved later War Irvin from the son of the War time owner, Flight Lieutenant John Raymond Weeds, D.F.C. (119824). His son, Bob Weeds, was able to tell me about his father and I did some further research to fill in some gaps.
John Weeds was a pilot in No. 224 squadron flying Liberator Vs in the RAF Coastal Command. As an RAF career officer post War he flew the Lancaster GR3, Halifax and the Shackleton, ending his career in 1959. He is mentioned in the London Gazette in 1954 and 1959 when he was awarded the Air Force Cross.

Here is a brief history of 224 squadron. In April 1941 No.224 moved to Northern Ireland for anti-submarine patrols, a further move being made to Cornwall in December to fly patrols off Brest and attack shipping off the coast of Brittany. In February 1942 the squadron returned to Ulster for two months before moving on to Tiree, where it converted to Liberators in July. These greatly increased the range of patrols over the Atlantic and were brought to southern England in September for anti-submarine operations over the Bay of Biscay and attacks on shipping over the French Coast. With the capture of most of France, No.224 was transferred to Scotland for attacks on U-boats and shipping off the Norweigian and Danish coasts which lasted until the end of the war. Returning to St.Eval in July the squadron converted to Lancasters before disbanding on 10 November 1947. A detachment was based in the Azores for air-sea rescue purposes between July and October 1945. In February 1946, the squadron had been divided into Nos.224X and 224Y Squadrons. No.224Y became No.228 Squadron on 1 June 1946 and Nos.224X reverted to being No.224 Squadron.

On 1 March 1948, No.224 reformed at Aldergrove as a meteorlogical reconnaissance squadron equipped with Halifaxes. A detachment was based at Gibraltar which became the squadrons base in August 1951, the last meteorlogical flight having been made on 30 March 1951. At the same time as it moved, No.224 began to convert to Shackletons for maritime reconnaissance duties and was based at Gibraltar until disbandment on 31 October 1966.

The Irvin was made by Links under their 1943 contract and was issued to Weeds in early 1944. It has the typical features of jackets from this prolific London maker, the rounded collar, bare metal under-arm vent rings and belt eyelets and medium width belt loops. Clearly he looked after the jacket very well indeed as it is in fantastic condition with very little wear to the fleece and no holes or patch repairs etc.. I had to do some re-stitching on one seam tape and replace the sleeve zip pulls with the correct ones as the zip tracks had been sewn up. The main zip is a brass Lightning whilst the sleeve zips are the "N" variety seen on many later War jackets. As a size 4 it is a good fit and very warm!

aswatland

Thanks. It is a really nice Irvin with an interesting history. Often there is little history with these jackets even if they come from the family.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
For the life of me, I can not understand why any one would sell their fathers WWII Irvin, or any other war time jacket? The one WWII A2 I have, was only given to me because the man had no kids. He knew I would look after it and not sell it to some collector!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
For the life of me, I can not understand why any one would sell their fathers WWII Irvin, or any other war time jacket? The one WWII A2 I have, was only given to me because the man had no kids. He knew I would look after it and not sell it to some collector!

I understand your comment, but these are hard times for many people.
I'd sell all my jackets in a flash to put food on the table for my family, if that's what it takes.
That's why it's nice to see jackets going to members here; people who respect and appreciate them.

aswatland

I have read this type of comment many times before and understand the reasoning behind it. Few people have the same passion for jackets as displayed on the FL and do not have a sentimental attachment to a jacket worn by a relative. Most relatives sell jackets to make a little money!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
we've had some discussion on this and other threads about DOT zips - basically we seem to know very little about them and who made them, unlike Lightning. Well, TwoTypes elsewhere posted a link to an aviation adverts site where I found this informative gem, complete with company address. Seems they were made by Carr fasteners of Nottingham. I have had Carr press studs in mid-century British civilian jackets, but whether the company had any conection with the American United Carr company of US military clothing fame I can't say.

http://www.aviationancestry.com/Clothing/Assorted/Assorted-Carr Dot Zippers-1946-1.html

aswatland

Dot zips were made in the UK by United Carr. The evidence for this is a 1930s American United-Carr Fastener Corporation letter head, which mentions the Cambridge, Mass factory, the one in Hamilton, Canada, another in Adelade and the final factory at Stapleford, Nottinghamshire.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

As the old saying goes 'You can choose your friends but you cannot choose your family'.
That jacket may have come from a 'Hero' but what relationship did he have with his son?
All this wartime stuff may just have been hanging around taking up room they could not spare, or maybe the relatives were just not interested in these artefacts. But it must be heartbreaking to sell something you would like to keep, such as a Victoria Cross or other gallantry medals, but when the sale may help you clear a large debt........
A good example is the hot rod Guru Kenny Howard, better known as 'Von Dutch'. I believe he did not give a damn about his kids when he was alive, so when he died his children sold the 'Von Dutch' brand name to the highest bidder. Nothing to do with hot rods, but a fashion outlet.
Slightly off topic but I found this photo in an old wallet I bought. I showed it to the seller and he said, "It's my mother during the war, you can have that or throw it away if you wish"
Maybe she was a right old bitch as a mother. Who knows!
PB020077.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have read this type of comment many times before and understand the reasoning behind it. Few people have the same passion for jackets as displayed on the FL and do not have a sentimental attachment to a jacket worn by a relative. Most relatives sell jackets to make a little money!

I should have stated in my first post, this was in no way a jab at you! I would rather see you, a true connoisseur get the jacket, then some idiot, who just thinks it looks cool. Still, you have to admit, sad.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I find it strangely amusing to swap stories of old things, now highly collectable, that were used and abused when they were relatively worthless and unwanted. Such as my friends uncle who was a member of 617 'Dambusters' squadron who used his Irvin for his dog to sleep on, a little boy who's dad gave him a real Colt revolver from the wild west days to play cowboys and Indians back in the 1960s. Oh how we envied him even though it was so heavy haha. I had a long barrelled Luger from WWI that was no good as it was not a 'cowboy gun'.
My favourite tales usually revolve around the use and abuse of what are now termed 'Classic cars'. Banger racing(destruction derby to you Yanks), and how I ruined the seat supports in my Vauxhall PA Cresta having some Lady time in the front seat.
These days we would not think of doing such things, but the looks and nod' s of disgust at the abuse of such items is priceless by these now 'collectors' who probably were not interested in such things back in the days of old.
Johnny Tee

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I find it strangely amusing to swap stories of old things, now highly collectable, that were used and abused when they were relatively worthless and unwanted. Such as my friends uncle who was a member of 617 'Dambusters' squadron who used his Irvin for his dog to sleep on, a little boy who's dad gave him a real Colt revolver from the wild west days to play cowboys and Indians back in the 1960s. Oh how we envied him even though it was so heavy haha. I had a long barrelled Luger from WWI that was no good as it was not a 'cowboy gun'.
My favourite tales usually revolve around the use and abuse of what are now termed 'Classic cars'. Banger racing(destruction derby to you Yanks), and how I ruined the seat supports in my Vauxhall PA Cresta having some Lady time in the front seat.
These days we would not think of doing such things, but the looks and nod' s of disgust at the abuse of such items is priceless by these now 'collectors' who probably were not interested in such things back in the days of old.
Johnny Tee

A colt for a toy! How cool is that?
A Dambusters Irvin for a dog blanket! The coolest dog ever!
I haven't got any stories like that, well, not if you don't include the first time I went home to meet my GF's (later my wife) father, and after dinner, while the ladies were tidying up, he showed me his katana, and told me that if I broke his daughter's heart, he'd kill me.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I haven't got any stories like that, well, not if you don't include the first time I went home to meet my GF's (later my wife) father, and after dinner, while the ladies were tidying up, he showed me his katana, and told me that if I broke his daughter's heart, he'd kill me.
Is that the Japanese version of a 'Shotgun wedding' ? (i'm only guessing as to your location :) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters