Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
Paul, lovely jacket and an odd bit of damage. Maybe the wearer had zip most of the way down when the opening got violently snagged on something and ripped the whole end off. Well, you've brought it back from an otherwise tragic end. Nice work.

Paulgo253

Familiar Face
Paul, lovely jacket and an odd bit of damage. Maybe the wearer had zip most of the way down when the opening got violently snagged on something and ripped the whole end off. Well, you've brought it back from an otherwise tragic end. Nice work.

Thanks and yes, that could well be the reason! Or unless someone was really desperate to remove the zip runner and though that was the only way to do it!

It's been grand Irvin weather the past few days! Here's me in the first jacket I bought - not the prettiest example with little original chroming remaining, but a good daily wearer as it's a wonderfully robust jacket with a thick, solid skin. Ideal to wear to take the dogs out when it's true baltic weather - and here's one of our Papillons Maggie who really doesn't like snow so ended up being carried most of the way!!

VXhAgnxl.jpg

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Hi fellas,
Just bought an Aero repro irvin on ebay for about $300 (which I feel was a steal!). It fits me beautifully in the chest and arms, but just as I imagined it's too short in the length and hits me at about my belt buckle. Anyone know if there's a way to lengthen these jackets?

Paulgo253

Familiar Face
Haha! Good Doggie Daddy.
Have you done restoration on that jacket as well?
Why thank you :) I wouldn't really call it restoration - I'm not that skilled. That's so something for people like Andrew who really know their stuff. I just do a bit of fixing up really and love tinkering. When I bought this jacket I really knew nothing about Irvins at all so I trusted it to Simon Swaffield as I chanced on the website he was then running when I bought it. He replaced the main zip and sleeve zip runners, the collar fleece and added the belt which was missing. It was the remnants of the zip from that jacket that I used to repair the one above, which I bought as happens from Simon also!

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
Tinkering is a good word for how you get into this stuff, then as you develop experience, you get bolder and neater and someone might call it "restoration". Or maybe it's just tinkering until you're getting paid. Then it's called restoration. Haha!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Hi fellas,
Just bought an Aero repro irvin on ebay for about $300 (which I feel was a steal!). It fits me beautifully in the chest and arms, but just as I imagined it's too short in the length and hits me at about my belt buckle. Anyone know if there's a way to lengthen these jackets?
No.

Paulgo253

Familiar Face
Tinkering is a good word for how you get into this stuff, then as you develop experience, you get bolder and neater and someone might call it "restoration". Or maybe it's just tinkering until you're getting paid. Then it's called restoration. Haha!

For me it started out of necessity with a the need to do the odd repair, resew a seam etc, replace a zip or pull. I can remember the panic after the first bit of damage when I split one of the side seams down by the belt - I think from the seat belt in the car. Then a few other bits and bobs - so it's also about gaining confidence and of course that grows with the more you do and I really enjoy that sort of thing now, working out how the jackets are put together. For some stuff you ideally need an industrial sewing machine, cuffs and hems etc so I'm a way off doing anything substantial or remotely in the area of restoration! I'll stick with tinkering hehe!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Hi fellas,

Oh god, no. It sounds as though your jacket is the perfect length for an Irvin of your size. They were meant to be worn with Irvin trousers, sort of high waisted furry waders, and so were cut short to make it easy for the wearer to turn while wearing it.
My one is a 38 and hits my belt buckle on almost all my jeans. Honestly, if it's too long, it'll just look 'wrong'. I just buckle it over my jumper and let it hang hang beneath it.
Here's the film director David Lean wearing his: https://cinephiliabeyond.org/david-lean-documentary-lost-found-the-story-of-cooks-anchor/

Kitcat

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and hoping to get some expert opinions on a jacket I have. If this isn't the right thread then I apologise!

I believe the jacket is a '40/'41 Irvin. The story is it belonged to a Wellington gunner/nav who was killed early in the war in a training flight. However, no proof- no photos etc.

It's in very good condition, but I think the collar is a repair- the woolly side doesn't match the rest of the jacket. There is no label. The main zip fastener is missing. The 2 arm zips have the AM crown markings and on the other side of the zips the Made in England DOT markings. I thought you only got one or other of those markings not both? I have some photos I can post (hopefully- if it's not too technically challenging!) and would love some advice as to whether you think the jacket (perhaps not the collar) is genuine '40s or not? Ill hold fire on photos in case you tell me this is the wrong place to ask! Thanks :)

Paulgo253

Familiar Face
Hi and welcome ! There's a lot of very knowledgable people on here (Im still learning!) and loads of info in this and other threads, so you've come to the right place! Sounds like a lovely jacket - Post some pics and I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you some info about your jacket. The AM crown does appear commonly on DOT marked zips and as far I recall was introduced in late 1940 (earlier ones just have DOT on them), so as such they should be genuine and would fit with the dates you mentioned. Looking forward to seening the pics - you'll need to host them somewhere like IMGUR and then post the link by clicking on the little 'image' icon above but any problems shout up! cheers Paul

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi fellas,

This section is only for original Irvin jackets not repros. There is separate thread for repro Irvins.

aswatland

https://imgur.com/gallery/rhdZU

Thanks Paul. I've uploaded to Imgur and hopefully this link will work....

Look forward to hearing opinions! Thanks, Cat

Thank you for up loading pictures of your Irvin. Your jacket dates to 1941 and is a typical four panel jacket. There were quite a few contractors at this time plus many sub-contractors. Yours was not made made by one of the main makers, i.e Irvin Air Chute, Wareings, Robinson and Ensum, Links or DGL. It is a nice jacket with short-pile fleece used for the collar, cuffs and waistband and longer fleece for the body.

Kitcat

New in Town
Thank you for up loading pictures of your Irvin. Your jacket dates to 1941 and is a typical four panel jacket. There were quite a few contractors at this time plus many sub-contractors. Yours was not made made by one of the main makers, i.e Irvin Air Chute, Wareings, Robinson and Ensum, Links or DGL. It is a nice jacket with short-pile fleece used for the collar, cuffs and waistband and longer fleece for the body.
Thanks for your reply aswatland. Do you think the collar is the original one then, just a different pile fleece from the main body? So not a repair/replacement?

Thanks, Cat

aswatland

There collar is definitely original. I have a jacket from the same maker with this contrasting collar. They often used short pile fleece for the collar, cuffs and hem on Irvins from 1941-5.

Kitcat

New in Town
There collar is definitely original. I have a jacket from the same maker with this contrasting collar. They often used short pile fleece for the collar, cuffs and hem on Irvins from 1941-5.

Thanks again for your info, very helpful. Another question if you don't mind? I was going to buy this thinking it was made by Irvin air Chutes, but even though it isn't, it's still a lovely jacket in good condition. So given its not one of the main makers- do you have any idea how much I should sensibly spend on it? Thanks :)

aswatland

I thought it was your jacket Kitcat. Although not from one of the know main makers it appears to be a well made Irvin. If it is a decent size, all original then a broad figure would be within the £400 to £650 price range.

Kitcat

New in Town
The jacket currently belongs to a neighbour but he gave it to us to check background, size etc as I am interested in buying it. It's very tricky as a novice trying to spot what's original, who might have made it and if it's worth buying (don't want to end up with a 1980 copy!) so you have been immensely helpful. Thanks so much again for your time :D

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's a gonzo coat which the experts around here will probably find interesting (click for larger image). It's supposedly an Irvin full-length coat with toggle fastening. The source of my photo is a Japanese book on military jackets titled "Military Jacket" by Lighting Archives. I imagine this is a one-off or an early variation which was never put into production. It would make a really cool coat for one of the repro companies to make, even though it would cost a mint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm