Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Irvin Air Chute supplied the public as well as the AM in the 1930s and this is likely to have been a private purchase item. They also made a small number of Irvin coats with full length zips. There is no evidence of them supplying the AM with such garments.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
Hi gents, I posted a this in its own thread but someone rightly pointed out that this place is probably its rightful home.

I've been on the hunt for an large original Irvin which is wearable and at last the search is over. I'm 6'3 and as you can imagin, jackets in my size are fairly thin on the ground but. Y chance I found this one in a Militaria shop here in Ballarat. As a our can see it's a pretty good fit (it's a size 6) and in good condition. I wonder if any of our resident experts might be able to give a bit of info/background on it.

regards

Garry

aswatland

Your jacket was made by Irvin Air Chute under this 1941 contract. It is not the Battle of Britain version which was the pre/early War design with a two piece front and back. Yours is a typical 1941-2 four panel jacket. The main lightning zip track has a later replacement slider/puller , Dot slider/puller which is typically seen on Sidcot suits and other flight equipment. The sleeves however are the original Lightnings.

Reactions: MET

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Super badass find, Garry! I would love to find an original Irvin but guys who are our height didn't exactly fit in Spitfires back then haha.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Thanks for the information Andrew. I would assume, aside from the size 6 aspect, that this is a fairly common model/manufacturer. Would you know in roughy what numbers and where it was made?

Lastly, the letters HvP on the tag are written in a particular way, is that any clue to the history of the jacket?

Once again, many thanks

Garry

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Sorry Andrew, last question. I saw earlier in this thread when Soren got his size 6/7 that you mentioned it was away being restored. Can I ask where it was being done and a ball park figure for getting it back to a condition where I feel more confident in wearing it with care.

Regards

Gsrry

stickybloke

New in Town
New member looking for some advice/info as there are clearly some experts on here! I have my grandfathers WW2 Irvin jacket. He was an Observer on Blenheims during the war and his jacket then sat in a cupboard at his house for about 65 years before we had some restoration work done to it.
The labels have gone so identification is a bit tricky (!) but I’ve always been interested in the various electrical connectors etc on the jacket. I think they’re for comms and for heated gloves? I can’t find any pictures of a similar jacket online so would be grateful for any insight :)

We have long family connections with the RAF, indeed there has been at least one of us in continuous service since 1929 through my grandfather, my father and then me. Coincidentally, my grandfather’s first squadron (24 Sqn) in 1930 was my first squadron in 1995; his second (30 Sqn) in 1935 was my second in 1999.... :confused:

Thanks!

CF8_C5_DF2_623_E_415_B_9902_79_A34_A092_AE2.jpg

5_BB62_D26_172_C_4816_9_D88_8_D6694503_EB4.jpg

728_D0510_ED48_4_BB4_957_F_F4_D10_A963321.jpg

B2_B4_BCC3_BC5_C_4_BE8_B71_A_BB9_FE44_CB848.jpg

8_EC5_F903_DF9_D_4_C44_9_F95_4_ADA76_D79762.jpg

Last edited:

aswatland

Welcome to TFL. Your grandfather's electrically wired Irvin dates to 1938-9 and was made by Irvin Air Chute in Letchworth. The connectors are not for communication, but to heat the special RAE (Royal Aircraft Establishment) gloves and boots which were often worn with the Irvin suit. Electrically wired Irvin trousers would have been worn with the jacket and the smaller connector would have fitted the connector on the trousers. The two sleeve connectors are to heat the gloves, whilst the larger round plug connects to the main electrical supply on the bomber.

Paulgo253

Familiar Face
The main lightning zip track has a later replacement slider/puller , Dot slider/puller which is typically seen on Sidcot suits and other flight equipment. The sleeves however are the original Lightnings.

Andrew, just going back to Lord Flasheart's very nice IAC jacket, there's a small 'c' under the crown stamp of the DOT slider - what does that indicate? I've seen that on a DOT slider before somehwere... It also looks to be nickel rather than the more usual brass (I have dot zip in my spares that looks a nickle maybe that I know was not from a jacket). Thanks!

aswatland

I have wondered this too Paul. I do not know the answer. My thoughts are as follows. Dot zips were made under licence from United Carr. these zips were made in the UK (at Stapleford) the USA and in Canada. The "C" could stand for Canadian made zips. However, the pullers are stamped A.M. c . We know the A.M. is Air Ministry. These zip pulls were factory fitted to cloth suits, such as Taylor suits and Prestige suits, so perhaps the C stands for cloth.

Kitcat

New in Town
Hi all,

I posted before Christmas about a jacket we were interested in buying and some of you kindly answered, saying it likely was WWII era but not one of the big name manufacturers. We’ve since bought the jacket and before we spend the money on fixing the zips with costly authentic zips, wondered if anyone here can (or knows of someone) that could eyeball the jacket and confirm it’s not a repro? I ask because it’s in such good condition for it’s suggested age. We are south coast based but willing to travel a reasonable distance for sound advise.

Many thanks,

Cat

aswatland

Hi all,

I posted before Christmas about a jacket we were interested in buying and some of you kindly answered, saying it likely was WWII era but not one of the big name manufacturers. We’ve since bought the jacket and before we spend the money on fixing the zips with costly authentic zips, wondered if anyone here can (or knows of someone) that could eyeball the jacket and confirm it’s not a repro? I ask because it’s in such good condition for it’s suggested age. We are south coast based but willing to travel a reasonable distance for sound advise.

Many thanks,

Cat

If you can get some decent pictures I can tell you whether it is an original or a reproduction.

Kitcat

New in Town
Thanks aswatland- I actually posted a link to pictures early December and you kindly replied saying you believed the jacket dated to 1942. However, I thought someone would need to see the jacket in person to be certain it’s not just a good repro before investing more money in it? Having said in my previous post we are south coast based I should also have clarified that’s south coast UK! I’m not sure where this site originates.

aswatland

I remember now. It is 100% original and most certainly not a repro. I am sure it will do well in the classified section here on an online auction site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk