Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I find it strangely amusing to swap stories of old things, now highly collectable, that were used and abused when they were relatively worthless and unwanted. Such as my friends uncle who was a member of 617 'Dambusters' squadron who used his Irvin for his dog to sleep on, a little boy who's dad gave him a real Colt revolver from the wild west days to play cowboys and Indians back in the 1960s. Oh how we envied him even though it was so heavy haha. I had a long barrelled Luger from WWI that was no good as it was not a 'cowboy gun'.
My favourite tales usually revolve around the use and abuse of what are now termed 'Classic cars'. Banger racing(destruction derby to you Yanks), and how I ruined the seat supports in my Vauxhall PA Cresta having some Lady time in the front seat.
These days we would not think of doing such things, but the looks and nod' s of disgust at the abuse of such items is priceless by these now 'collectors' who probably were not interested in such things back in the days of old.
Johnny Tee

Actually, we call it, Demolition Derby.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sizing of original Irvins.

In the Irvin repro thread there is discussion about the actual sizes of original Irvins. Here is a document issued to the makers with the actual measurements. It is worth pointing out that the measurements found today on original jackets that are the same tagged size from the same maker can vary quite a lot. Shrinking of the jackets over time may be part of the explanation, but I also suspect there was variation when the jackets were produced in the factory just as occurred with A2s. Of course some jackets were mislabelled.

Last edited:

Golden

Familiar Face
I am looking to purchase my first Irvin.

Little luck on the interwebs, 1 or 2 over priced on evil bay.

Anyone selling a 42"??

all the best,

-joshuah

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I have one I could sell for the right price, but its Fragile, its not for Wearin...Just for Lookin at. Depends what your intentions are with my babies.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Well, dont go with an original IMO, it would fall apart on you.

get something relatively new. The price range will determine your Quality. I have both Originals and Repros, the repros make good companions.

The originals I Just like to let them tell their story.

you can get something now, for cheap if you look around for awhile, Keep networking here.. or you can save up for something made on demand and custom tailored to you.

I would say go with a repro for Wearing in the wild. you are like me and want to get rough and tough with yours, sure I like that!

if youre looking for durability over *originality* theres plenty of Irvins galore for cheap.

an original one can be wearable from time to time, but not Trucking or chopping wood or whatever.

I *could* buy an amazingly flawless repro for the price of a used car, but I know I would easily Trash it in no time and feel terrible knowing how much money I spent. Between food and rent, It impossible to be done, budget allows between 250-500 for an Irvin, but it had better have some mojo to it even at that price.

as for the originals, they have to be worn from time to time to keep them fresh and ply.

I take em on a walk once in a blue moon when It feels right, and wear em really Carefully.

TOO Easy to do a *fat guy in a little coat* with an original.

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
1-2015-02-12 11.52.25.jpg

Edward - How much information can you reveal from this label. More pics will follow shortly

aswatland

View attachment 24266

Edward - How much information can you reveal from this label. More pics will follow shortly

It's a Irvin Air Chute label from their 1937 contract for the Air Ministry. The original 1932 patent number is also very clear. There's not much more say about the label. I would like to see pictures of the jacket, which I suspect will be the two panel type.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I'm confused by the earlier references (another thread on an Aero Irvin) to the town of Bridgnorth in Shropshire.
Where were Irvin Air Chute jackets made (i.e. what is the ....orth, Herts in this case)?

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Dee-pends...Andrew maybe you have heard about people sometimes Sewing Tags into Irvin Jackets that are earlier Dates for the purpose of increasing the value on a sale.

devilish

A-List Customer
Ok, so does anyone have an original elastic collar strap in wearable condition they might want to part with?

aswatland

I'm confused by the earlier references (another thread on an Aero Irvin) to the town of Bridgnorth in Shropshire.
Where were Irvin Air Chute jackets made (i.e. what is the ....orth, Herts in this case)?

Bridgnorth!!! No, they were never made there in the War, but in Letchworth by IAC! Some of IAC's contracts were subcontracted but not to a maker in bridgnorth as far as I know.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Ok, so does anyone have an original elastic collar strap in wearable condition they might want to part with?

Contact Rob Brace at ELC - they'll sell you a decent repro for less than £15. With a bit of work (stretching it), it'll soon look the part.

devilish

A-List Customer
^Gary quoted me £22 for one but I was curious if anyone had an original to add just a touch WW2 to the repro.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I see, the last one that I saw go on EBay made an insane amount (I don't recall the exact figure but it was almost as much as you paid for the Irvin itself).
Must have been a crazy bidding war though as they must turn up. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner