Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
These new Aero Irvins are a damn sight better than their old ones but to my eyes they're still not quite at the same level as an ELC and definitely not Jon's ones. I also wonder if someone is getting into this sort of price bracket for an Irvin then accuracy becomes an increasing factor and for that reason they might wish to fork out the extra 70 quid for an ELC 4 panel.

Nice jackets and they'll be beautifully made but for me at least, they don't make me feel like rushing off to offload my ELC to get one just yet.

These new Aero Irvins are a damn sight better than their old ones but to my eyes they're still not quite at the same level as an ELC and definitely not Jon's ones. I also wonder if someone is getting into this sort of price bracket for an Irvin then accuracy becomes an increasing factor and for that reason they might wish to fork out the extra 70 quid for an ELC 4 panel.Nice jackets and they'll be beautifully made but for me at least, they don't make me feel like rushing off to offload my ELC to get one just yet.
Let me be devil's advocate for a minute. (Too easy, move on) Lets say everyone in the premium or close markets made perfect repop's of all the WWII military jackets. I reckon then we'd have a boatload of the same looking jackets, albeit from different makers and counties of origin. Then, it's all down to price - they're all the same - they'd have to be to be accurate, right? Seams to me, there's a few makers looking to replicate the WWII era down to the well-researched stitch. And buyers lined up for such things. There's also makers who come close, but maybe take artistic license. There's also buyers lined up for their jackets. Buyers who don't care about replication perfection. To me, that's a better market for the buyers and sellers. I'd rather have a choice, and we do. If I were getting one, it would be Jon's for sure. But I also like things about this Aero.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These new Aero Irvins are a damn sight better than their old ones but to my eyes they're still not quite at the same level as an ELC and definitely not Jon's ones. I also wonder if someone is getting into this sort of price bracket for an Irvin then accuracy becomes an increasing factor and for that reason they might wish to fork out the extra 70 quid for an ELC 4 panel.

Nice jackets and they'll be beautifully made but for me at least, they don't make me feel like rushing off to offload my ELC to get one just yet.

Well said Tim and so true.:eusa_clap

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's a fair point, though ELC's Irvins, as they appear on their website, have never appealed to me greatly. I don't doubt their accuracy or quality, it may be just the way they're presented that didn't win me over - and I was split between getting an Irvin or something a little more orthodox when I was buying my first jacket. That said, once I picked up on the tubular arm issue and that teddy bear fleece, I wasn't keen on Aero's old Irvin design either - which makes me wonder why AL continue with it to this day, but that's another matter.
However, I have seen and worn the new multi-panel Irvin with the more accurate sleeves, zips and fleece - my understanding is that John Lever contributed to them - and to me it's very appealing. More than that, though, I have the luxury of going over to Gala, getting measured up, chatting to Ken about the jacket, and making sure that I don't have to 'settle' for whatever I get at the end of the process. For me personally that makes Aero a very attractive option.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
In just a few days I'll have my Aces High Irvin back from Jon. He's made some minor corrections on the collar and installed a brand new repro Lightning Zipper with Art Deco stopper box. Very pre-war period like. Will post some pics, when I get it. If you gents have any interest, that is...

aswatland

Oh dear! Very pale sheepskin with a mis-matched black fleece collar and an outer shell that resembles plastic! Interesting pre/early-War style AM label that is based on an IAC label which was not used on late War jackets.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm more interested in the lay-out tbh, Andrew, as I'm intending to go with the more standard chestnut hide for something more like this:

I may be wrong, but in the past Ken has used red skin very pale shearling for test designs. The collar, I really like. :D

Plumbline

One Too Many
That's a nice jacket ... not my taste ... but a nice well made jacket. It ISNT a repro IRVIN however, but it is in keeping with current fashion trends.

There are loads of "sort of" IRVINS .... WPG, AERO, AL and others make "sort of" IRVINS and there's a clear market for them. ... in fact I'd suggest even ELC make a "sort of" IRVIN ( mine had RiRi zippers and a really short body ... and I'm a short arse !)

If you want a REALLY authentic IRVIN .... buy an original or an Aces High ( having seen one in the flesh they are pretty damn good ..... if you want a REALLY good sheepskin jacket there's plenty of choice ... some may be closer than others but they're all usually good sheepskin jackets.

Nice pic above Craig ..... if yours comes out like that you'd have to be happy :D

aswatland

I'm more interested in the lay-out tbh, Andrew, as I'm intending to go with the more standard chestnut hide for something more like this:

I may be wrong, but in the past Ken has used red skin very pale shearling for test designs. The collar, I really like. :D

Yes the panel configuration of the Aero-made jacket is preferable to the union jack configuration and is historically accurate. The collar shape is fine and a complete black sheep version would be great.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Put's me in mind of some of the Freewheeler jackets. :D It is as I thought, though, a test piece for the new panel lay out using some off-cut red skin shearling. Aero's Bertie showing her skills.

Last edited:

aswatland

According to the label in the late War jacket the jacket was made in Bridgnorth, which is long way from Scotland!
Here's another label from their site which states the jacket was made by A.M. Clothing Co. If the jacket was actually made by Aero what is going on? The patent no. on the label was registered by Irvin Air Chute in 1932!

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
As promised some closeups of the new "Lightning" zipper.
Jon - Aces High - has not only done a terrific job by recreating this authentic prewar zipper - but also by installing it in my beloved Irvin.

I also include a couple of pics so you gentlemen can follow the progress of creases and look of my Irvin after a year of hard use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot