Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Contrasting fleece. If you look at the chestnut hide, the collar fleece is lighter than the golden tone of the rest. Not sure if it's too much for me - it's a case of 'a nice feature' over 'explaining to every smart alec who points it out, why it's that colour'.

Last edited:

Otter

One Too Many
Aye, I see the shade change, but wasn't that just a prototype? I have seen originals with almost black collars, very nice looking. you could have fun with the subtle shade change by explaining that these jackets were made out of recycled trousers that had frequently been soiled. Just watch people move away from you in the pub when you tell them that!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
:D I'm not sure about there it was the final shade or not. I quite like the golden colour of the body, though. Ah, decisions, decisions. I think I'm pretty much sold on the chestnut hide, though.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
I thought this was interesting from the Aero website, "Panel configuration of the Multi Panel jackets may vary slightly from one jacket to the next but the overall feel of a genuine RAF jacket from the mid 1940s will be faithfully replicated."

As to color, I would prefer the chestnut as well. The Seal seems a bit too dark and I would like a more honey color for the fleece.

What does everyone think about the sleeves?

John

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The tubular sleeves of old are gone, and a design with a more tapered design and wider arm hole put in its place - I think John Lever helped out with the refinement.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Not here so very often any more, so I just happened to see this new Aero Mid War Irvin. I must admit they've come a long way.
Although not a multi-panel fan myself.
I think it's a nice touch with the slightly other color on the collar. After all, that's how they must have turned out back then, as they were made from recycled trousers in all different shades.
Even my Pre-War Irvin from Aces High has a slightly different color on the collar. Which only makes it more (like a) original, I think.
I definitely would go for the chestnut color too. And hey - I like the zip too. Looks like a Lightning! (Or repro)
And finally I do like the white prestige flying suit underneath. Is that a new Aero product?

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most 1940 Irvins were two panel and were chestnut brown, although seal ones were made. The collar looks fine and I like the lighter fleece. There are more accurate Irvins on the market than this.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good to see the new arm design. What's your take on the multi-panel Irvin in seal, Andrew?

I prefer the later War repro to the BoB jacket. The chestnut skin and honey coloured fleece are a great combination. I have never seen a union jacket style seam tape arrangement before on originals, although there were many configurations. The Lightning style zips look the part.

majormajor

One Too Many
I have never seen a union jacket style seam tape arrangement before on originals, although there were many configurations. The Lightning style zips look the part.

Hi Andrew

The jacket in the picture does not have Union Jack seams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21