Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is a distinct improvement in terms of design. It has been based on an Irvin Air Chute design c.1938. The collar is the correct shape and the sleeves are nicely tapered. I'm glad the sheepskin will be improved as the mottled finish looks very odd. The belt has been improved and is closer to originals now. The folded strap that retains the collar rings is still too long. The dye on the seam tapes lacks a uniform appearance. The jacket would look better with russet seam tapes as found on many IAC jackets. The jacket need to be fitted with eyelets for the elastic strap. Here are some pics of an original IAC jacket in my collection for comparison.

021-32.jpg

026-29.jpg

002-68.jpg

003-70.jpg

011-66.jpg

015-66.jpg

004-57.jpg

006-68.jpg

008-70.jpg

009-73.jpg

alsendk

A-List Customer
I think the new Aero prototype has become a significant improvement, but I do agree about the seam tapes. The colour seem to be close to your beautiful looking Irvin air chute though.
I really like this reddish colour very much indeed.

V.Hilts

New in Town
Hello Gentlemans , Hello Andrew

Andrew ,
I have a eastman jacket A-2 Roughwear 27752 warhorse of " the cooler King "
and a Eastman RAF Pattern 44 and I'm not satisfied for the zipper " RIRI " on this jacket
Can you say to me how I could replace this one please ?

V.Hilts

New in Town
thanks Andrew ,

But , is it necessary to replace the zip completely?
I saw that you replaced a slider on a Eastman jacket RAF Pattern 1940 , Can the original slider Dot or lighting
settle on the teeth of the zipper Eastman ?

aswatland

Yes, you can just replace the slider with an original Dot by removing one of the stoppers on the main zip. I have done this on all three zips on my 1940 ELC Irvin.

devilish

A-List Customer
I am definitely no expert but I really like the color of that fleece. The honey brown is beautiful. I am so tempted to get an Irvin of some kind. It is totally impractical for me here in California but I sorta don't care.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Know where you're coming from:D I'm interested in the seal/contrasting collar combo. Is that accurate? Mr Swatland will know, I'm sure.

aswatland

This jacket is a great improvement on previous Aero "Irvin" style jackets. The chestnut colour of the skin is exactly the same as some originals. The seam configuration of these later Irvins was extremely varied as most were made from recycled flying trousers. The diagonal seam tape configuration on the back of the Aero is far from typical. Most had horizontal seam and often diagonal ones on the front. The NOS Lightning style zips are so much more appropriate then Aero's own AM zips which were nothing like the Dot, Lightning or Flash zips used on originals.

majormajor

One Too Many
The chestnut colour of the skin is exactly the same as some originals. The seam configuration of these later Irvins was extremely varied as most were made from recycled flying trousers. .

From Aero's site: "Panel configuration of the Multi Panel jackets may vary slightly from one jacket to the next but the overall feel of a genuine RAF jacket from the mid 1940s will be faithfully replicated"

Sounds like we are gonna get some varied, and very accurate repros:D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've noticed there's CC Irvin with a black interior and honey collar on eBay, so I guess the contrasting thing did happen late on.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
True. If it wasn't for the yellow hood, I might be tempted. I quite like the idea of the seal exterior with contrasting fleece and collar though.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Wore my Aero Irvin 4 times in 5 days out of sheer self-preservation. All I can say is God Bless Mr. Irvin, Aero Leather and Spitty for saving my miserable hide and preventing me from becoming a frozen fudgicle on the sidewalk!!!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW