Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

alsendk

A-List Customer
Thank you Smithy for your warm welcome.
Are you an norwegian fellow/dreng, who has ended up among the aussies for some good reason? or are you a genuine australian with wanderlust for travelling,and have been in beautiful Norway for pleasure, holiday or real work?
These two parts of the continent are so much un-alike :O) how do you manage to cope?
Allan
enjoying his alc irvin in june

metalbudgie

New in Town
Greetings Fedoristi or whatever you call yourselves. I had a ALC Irvin back in 1988 which I outgrew and sold on in those pre ebay days. I wonder where it is now? And like the earlier poster I digested and cogitated on the vast amount of info on this fine forum for weeks before jumping in and buying my new Irvin jacket. I wear it now as I type, a 44 inch ELC BoB second hand from eBay. IT looks almost unworn and came with the original box, bag and label and with the money saved another jacket beckons.

Being a bit older and having a bit more disposable nowadays I made a plan to get a new one after getting back into leather jackets through a company call TAD Gear in SF, USA who started doing limited edition runs of classic military and MB style jackets. I think they were made by Johnston Leathers but I am not sure all of them came from that company. I bought a Terra Green Stryker jacket modelled after the BW German Flight Jackets and I was hooked on the classic military styles again. I made an following foray into getting an A2, having had a back painted one again in the 80's, but a purchased 44 inch A2 traditional slim fit just doesn't cut it with my beefier frame nowadays! Do I go for a 46 instead of a 44??

I could be tempted with many others but a short (!) list of what I will choose one from includes an A2, ANJ4, the Luftwaffe styles from Aero and the semi trad G8 types. Sadly the TAD ones that got me back into jackets were all limited edition flight or cafe racers that are out of production.

I live in the cold damp of Scotland and although it is sunny today there is a dark corner of my heart that wants it to be winter again! I give due respect to your forum and I will put photos up and a more detailed review of my Irvin and my Stryker but enjoy this great pianting of an Irvin I found when scouring the web...

large.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Another welcome Metalbudgie!

Thank you Smithy for your warm welcome.
Are you an norwegian fellow/dreng, who has ended up among the aussies for some good reason? or are you a genuine australian with wanderlust for travelling,and have been in beautiful Norway for pleasure, holiday or real work?
These two parts of the continent are so much un-alike :O) how do you manage to cope?
Allan
enjoying his alc irvin in june

Alsendk, sorry only just saw your post now. I am actually a Kiwi but have lived in Norway twice before as my wife is Norwegian. Love the place!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
And the reason for the sale is - as some of you might know - that I have ordered one from AcesHigh (Jonnyboy).
Just got an update from him to day: Jacket is almost assembled - only waiting for zippers now.
I am rather exited! :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Been living in my ELC the last week, bloody freezing here, just poked my head out the door to check the thermometer and it's only 5 celsius at the mo.

Can't wait to see the new one Søren, I reckon this will be the end of the quest - well until you find an original 50'' which flew with 85 Sqn in '40 ;)

alsendk

A-List Customer
I am really anxious to watch the result Søren, when you finally got yourself screwed into the new Aces high Johnnyboy flying jacket.
These jackets look terrific, and I am shure, that your troubled days will be over now.
I have showed your jacket on DBA for a friend of mine...an xxxsize school teacher, and he will consider for some days...he also considers to by a new Canoe, so I will get in touch, when knowing more Søren.
Hilsen
Allan

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
23 celsius on the the external thermometer today, an Irvin would have me poached. It is all windows down on the Landrover and the Jacket, Flyers, Lightweight.

Otter you have a Landrover ?
I bought an 88" series 3 Diesel Landrover in 1973, when dismissing my service as senior sergent in the Danish Airforce.
Exept for about 30 broken exhaust pipes,due to all the rumble and shaky movements when driving, then I actually managed to drive 1,2 million kilometres with the same engine,and the same clutch too. The only other replecements were the water radiator,and two 12v generators.
This is by far the most economical car I have ever owned....exept that it became expensive later on to fill diesel on the tank though.
It is still running. I sold it to a friend this summer that was about to build his own house, and needed a suitable car for heavy beams, cement aso.
What kind of LR do you have Otter ?

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I have showed your jacket on DBA for a friend of mine...an xxxsize school teacher, and he will consider for some days...he also considers to by a new Canoe, so I will get in touch, when knowing more Søren.
Hilsen
Allan

Sounds great Allan - tell your friend that he can't bloody well wear a canoe, when it gets cold! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot