Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

alsendk

A-List Customer
It really looks promising Søren, and the Sheepwool looks fantastic.
Jon has been doing a fine job with this one. Hope the zippers will be there soon.

alsendk

A-List Customer
Søren, how in earth does Jon manage to make the sheepwool look so special...like if it has been worn for years, - unlike the new Irvin jackets, which all look in the start like a teddy bear, won in a fairground shooting tent:D

The days for wearing the Irvins are creeping in on us here in Scandinavia, uh, it`s cold this morning when getting the danish and the newspaper

btw,I followed your advise Søren, and found a fine ACL jacket for my friend at the bay, from the eighties, very supple and broken in nicely, and with a beautiful reddish colour, very unlike my own :O(
unfortunally he is a tall chap, so I could not switch the jacket un-noticed.:(

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Allan. I think he buys the skin like that. I know he's been searching for a very long time for the right supplier - and it certainly looks like he's succeeded.
Latest news are, that the jacket can be finished within a day - still waiting for the zips though. Reckon it will be in good time for the season.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
It's looking fantastic mate!

Team it up with that Sefton Type B, your Bromley's scarf and...

Irvin-01-s.jpg

My wife agrees completely at the look - doesn't like the mo though! :)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Please post pictures of the finished Irvin Soren. It's looking good so far.

I have seen this picture many times of this pre-War Wareings jacket. :cool:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Due to censorship of some of my posts - and a very heated discussion on that in The Observation Bar, finishig off with some very harsh and personal remarks from one of the bartenders - I have decided to leave FL.

I will - however - come back one more time with pictures of my long awaited AcesHigh Irvin - when it lands on my doorstep. I feel I owe it to both all the readers here - and to Jon, who makes this fantastic repro Irvin.

See you all at VLJ.

Tally Ho!

Speedster

Practically Family
Truly sorry to hear Soren. Not that active here anymore partly due to the same reasons that have made decide to leave. Will be looking forward to see your AcesHigh Irvin, either here or over at the VLJ.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just bring back to Irvins, I was wondering about the relative warmth of an Irvin compared to say a B3 or B6? Is there a discernible difference between them, are different makes better, or is it just a matter of taste?

aswatland

An Irvin and a B-3 will be warmer than a B-6 which is made of thinner fleece. The fleece on Irvins varies in length as does that on original B3s so it is really hard to give an objective answer here. Both are of course warm jackets!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's interesting. I had been thinking about saving for a B3, but was watching Battle of Britain, and thought they looked a little more practical - the honey-coloured fleece showing dirt less - and warmer. Was thinking an Aero pre-War, mainly because it's a short car ride to the work shop. I keep reading about the 'real deal' fleece, Andrew. Is that a historical reference?

aswatland

I'm not what sure is meant by the "real deal" fleece as modern tanning methods are not quite the same as those used in the War. You can still pick up wearable originals for less than the current price of an Aero Irvin. If you want a really decent accurate repro Irvin ELC or Aces High would be the way to go IMO.

Atomic Bomberman

New in Town
Irvin style jacket

Hello everybody, I bougth one used Irvin style jacket, the label says The flying shop, biggin hill airport, british flag and airplane on it. Can anybody provide me with some basic info abou the maker? It seems they dont have it in their shop anymore, and I`m not able to find any info about the maker of this high quality jacket. Thank you!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just out of interest, were any original Irvins made with pockets? I just ask because I've noticed a few companies who claim to be Irvin authorised dealers advertising jackets with pockets on them. And here's another question: why didn't original Irvins come with pockets? B-3s and B-6s both have them, why not British ones? Maybe the answer's obvious, but other than possibly the cost of adding them, I can't think of one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21