Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The search is over: My brand new Aces High Irvin

IrvinOpen.jpg

IrvinClosed.jpg

Great details
IrvinDetailBelt.jpg

The repro lightning zippers
IrvinDetailsleeve.jpg

And a nice touch...
IrvinDetailLabel.jpg

Finally it arrived - my long waited Pre War Irvin from Aces High.
And I must say, Jon has done a fantastic piece of historic artwork! I have only tried and handled very few original Irvins, but I must admit, that this comes as close to them as ever possible.
It is definitely both lighter and softer than my Aero. The fit is fantastic. The fleece has a great color and the surface feels tough - although it is flexible. The zippers - which were the reason for the long delay - are repros of the original Lightning used by Wearing even before 1940, were worth waiting for. Great working quality, strong and genuine.
All in all - I am extremely happy that my search for "the original Irvin" is finally over.
This is the Irvin I have always known, that I - some day - would get. And now I got it!!!!!!

Thank you Jon, for your superb work, great service and communication all along the long wait.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Having just returned from a bitterly cold dog walk, and seeing your fantastic jacket, I'm pretty much resolved to get an Irvin for next winter. You'll never need a scarf while you own that!

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Fantastic jacket. How does the sizing compare to other jackets and could you choose the sleeve length?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I do believe the sleeve length is standard - Jon operates with the original patterns!
All I gave him was my personal measures, and he figured out the size from there. (As a fallback I gave him the measures of my Aero Irvin - which is slightly too big for me.) But the jacket is a standard size - as thrown at the aircrews in 1939.
Besides that I can only say, that it has a superb and very, very comfortable/soft fit compared to the Aero and two ALC's I have owned in previous time. Never had an Eastman - so can't compare that.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Congratulations! The fit is "Bang On" for an Irvin. I like the jacket number, "0007".

Hope to see a few pictures of you and the jacket at Duxford in the future!

John

paulgt3

Familiar Face
Spitfire, I love your jacket too. I had a hard time deciding between your ginger color and the more buttery shade of lighter fleece in
the Eastman brand. I finally went with Eastman. But I love the ginger

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire, I love your jacket too. I had a hard time deciding between your ginger color and the more buttery shade of lighter fleece in
the Eastman brand. I finally went with Eastman. But I love the ginger

The Eastman's Devon fleece is stunning, but rather pricey.

paulgt3

Familiar Face
I looked at that hard but it was $400 USD more than the B3 I bought. Since I told my wife I was going to
spend $350 USD and stretched that to $550 USD and then finally to $1112 USD I had no more room to
ask for more funding for the Devon RAF version. Well that is if I wanted to stay married that is.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Paul: "Which will keep me warmer at night... Irvin or wife... Hmmm... Tricky" Wife: "What was that you were saying, darling?" Paul: "Nothing. Nothing." *mulls further* :)

alsendk

A-List Customer
Congratulation with your Irvin High Aces jacket Søren. It fits you so well, and looks fantastic real and genuine.
Jon has been doing a great job with those jackets.
Just in time for getting warm before the next snowstorm coming up this weekend, if believing the weatherforecasts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui