Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Irvin jackets were never originally made with pockets. Occasionally pockets were added in the theatre. The jacket was part of a suit and the pockets were only on the trousers. Moreover airmen had pockets in their service jackets which were usually worn underneath the Irvin jacket.

aswatland

Clarkson is not wearing and Irvin. It does not appear to have the waist belt or sleeve zips, but does have the authentic slash pockets.;)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
In my collecting days I had a few of these and looked at probably a couple of hundred over 30 years, never seen one with the added pockets, though I did have a Fleet Air Arm version that had the hood altered to make the collar. I would say a good used wartime one is probably warmer than a B3 as all mine had thicker fleece. Originals Irvin's tend to last better than American sheepskin though I think it is something to do with the outer coating. Not a jacket to get wet though, originals tend to smell like an old wet dog, or should that be sheep till dried out, also quite hard to apply leather preservatives to due to the finish on the jacket or trousers. Thought you may like to see this; the worlds worst original Irvin. Bought from Westcliff on Sea Army and Navy surplus in the early 1960s it remained in the purchasers possession for about 35 years from when he was 14 and a size 36 to when he was aged 50+. Thinking it would be worth a few bob he tried to sell it to me, I only bought it out of sympathy and managed to get it for 2 cans of lager that were on the back seat of my car. Eventually I posted it off to Aero Leather as a swap for some gloves they were selling at the time.

2004_0712_144735AA.jpg

Thinking it would be worth a few bob he tried to sell it to me, I only bought it out of sympathy and managed to get it for 2 cans of lager that were on the back seat of my car. Eventually I posted it off to Aero Leather as a swap for some gloves they were selling at the time.

And here is a better one.
2007_1007Irvin0005.jpg

£450 to Norway, size about a modern British 44
Can you date it Andrew? Sorry no back view but it was a main two piece. A couple of on base repairs to armpits but thats about it.
John

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fair point, I hadn't noticed that. :-D I suppose it just shows how the design has been bastardised commercially.

aswatland

In my collecting days I had a few of these and looked at probably a couple of hundred over 30 years, never seen one with the added pockets, though I did have a Fleet Air Arm version that had the hood altered to make the collar. I would say a good used wartime one is probably warmer than a B3 as all mine had thicker fleece. Originals Irvin's tend to last better than American sheepskin though I think it is something to do with the outer coating. Not a jacket to get wet though, originals tend to smell like an old wet dog, or should that be sheep till dried out, also quite hard to apply leather preservatives to due to the finish on the jacket or trousers. Thought you may like to see this; the worlds worst original Irvin. Bought from Westcliff on Sea Army and Navy surplus in the early 1960s it remained in the purchasers possession for about 35 years from when he was 14 and a size 36 to when he was aged 50+. Thinking it would be worth a few bob he tried to sell it to me, I only bought it out of sympathy and managed to get it for 2 cans of lager that were on the back seat of my car. Eventually I posted it off to Aero Leather as a swap for some gloves they were selling at the time.

2004_0712_144735AA.jpg

Thinking it would be worth a few bob he tried to sell it to me, I only bought it out of sympathy and managed to get it for 2 cans of lager that were on the back seat of my car. Eventually I posted it off to Aero Leather as a swap for some gloves they were selling at the time.

And here is a better one.
2007_1007Irvin0005.jpg

£450 to Norway, size about a modern British 44
Can you date it Andrew? Sorry no back view but it was a main two piece. A couple of on base repairs to armpits but thats about it.
John

John, it looks like a mid War Irvin from 1941-2 just prior to the production of the multi-panel jackets made from recycled Irvin trousers. It has the typical shaggy fleece for the body which was typical of jackets from this time.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
John, it looks like a mid War Irvin from 1941-2 just prior to the production of the multi-panel jackets made from recycled Irvin trousers. It has the typical shaggy fleece for the body which was typical of jackets from this time.
Thanks Andrew, This jacket was in pretty good condition, the fleece was not as shaggy as some of those later ones, the worst part of it was that wear on the left sleeve. A really warm jacket, I would wear it on a cold and frosty morning with just a T shirt.
The other jacket Ken Calder used some of the leather facings and metalwork for repairs to others so it did serve a purpose.
J

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Due to censorship of some of my posts - and a very heated discussion on that in The Observation Bar, finishig off with some very harsh and personal remarks from one of the bartenders - I have decided to leave FL.

I will - however - come back one more time with pictures of my long awaited AcesHigh Irvin - when it lands on my doorstep. I feel I owe it to both all the readers here - and to Jon, who makes this fantastic repro Irvin.

See you all at VLJ.

Tally Ho!

It's a pity that you're leaving, your posts were very informative and made me remember my father's WWII stories...however I am looking forward to see your AcesHigh Irvin...I'm also thinking about getting one and I was looking for a feedback with some pics.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
This is a REPRO thread, rocketeer.
That's fine, I don't own any repro's, probably wont now anyway as I dont collect military jackets anymore. I sold all my original WWII B3s and Irvins, US Navy sheepskins mainly because they started to fall apart from being worn to much, then again they are 60+years old. Let someone else deal with that.
Is there an Original Irvin thread on here

I did just wonder though, is there an Aviation Leathercraft company representative on the Fed Lounge going to stand up for their company. Like many say, a quality product but just cashing in on the name, and do the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight really wear Irvin's at the altitudes they fly at?
It's a bit like having a club for the Issigonis designed Mini and including the BMW version.
J

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
That's fine, I don't own any repro's, probably wont now anyway as I dont collect military jackets anymore. I sold all my original WWII B3s and Irvins, US Navy sheepskins mainly because they started to fall apart from being worn to much, then again they are 60+years old.

That's a good reason to think about getting a repro...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's fine, I don't own any repro's, probably wont now anyway as I dont collect military jackets anymore. I sold all my original WWII B3s and Irvins, US Navy sheepskins mainly because they started to fall apart from being worn to much, then again they are 60+years old. Let someone else deal with that.
Is there an Original Irvin thread on here

I did just wonder though, is there an Aviation Leathercraft company representative on the Fed Lounge going to stand up for their company. Like many say, a quality product but just cashing in on the name, and do the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight really wear Irvin's at the altitudes they fly at?
It's a bit like having a club for the Issigonis designed Mini and including the BMW version.
J

I wondered about ALC. When I was initially thinking about an Irvin I looked at their website but there was something 'not quite right' about them, they looked a bit teddy bear-ish, and the pockets seem a little 'tacked on'. You'd think that if you had the rights to the name, then you'd go for stitch-for-stitch accuracy.

5thumbs

New in Town
'I wondered about ALC. When I was initially thinking about an Irvin I looked at their website but there was something 'not quite right' about them, they looked a bit teddy bear-ish, and the pockets seem a little 'tacked on'. You'd think that if you had the rights to the name, then you'd go for stitch-for-stitch accuracy.'

ALC will do a lighter fleeced jacket if you ask them and they do offer an option without pockets. Picture of mine on the bottom of page 80 on this thread. So you dont have to have the 'teddy bear' look.

Very happy with mine but if authenticity was my main aim I'd go for one of Jon's (Aces High). Haven't seen as good a repro as these anywhere.

John Lever

One Too Many
I just purchased one of these on eBay a few days ago...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271114696505?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I wonder why this seller is limiting it to Europe?

I will post some pics of mine when it arrives.

John
Postage costs to the US are very high and deter many potential buyers. A jacket like this will cost about £95 Global Priority. Add this to the risk or it being returned and re-imported with fees duty and taxes, it's just too risky.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Postage costs to the US are very high and deter many potential buyers. A jacket like this will cost about £95 Global Priority. Add this to the risk or it being returned and re-imported with fees duty and taxes, it's just too risky.

Thank you John. It would be nice if that "Most Favoured Nation" trading status meant more in regards of lowering or eliminating import tariffs!

Incidentally, a few days ago I stumbled across your "Custom Aero RAF Jacket" thread from back in 2009. Did Aero ever pursue on their production jackets the skins you provided for your jacket?

John

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Postage limited to Europe.

I just purchased one of these on eBay a few days ago...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271114696505?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I wonder why this seller is limiting it to Europe?

I will post some pics of mine when it arrives.

John

Postage limited to Europe.
This maybe because of the high postage costs and possible loss.
I have posted many things all over the world and found postal conditions vary so much country to country. Should something be particularly valuable I would send it Royal Mail International signed or Parcelforce , or a signed for service courier as advised by Paypal.
Sometimes even though the item should be signed for, it may not be. Remember that the postal services are relying on the co operation of the receiving carrier. If the item is not signed for then a dishonest customer expecting to sign could think; "Well there is no proof of delivery so I can say it never arrived" That way the seller can refund the buyer, the seller can then claim on the postal service and get his money back. The winner? The buyer of course and he gets a free jacket.
It doesnt always happen but I have had it done to me so I dont post outside Europe for excessive valuable items.
Note , a lot of USA items now list "Will not post to the UK" probably for similar reasons

John Lever

One Too Many
Thank you John. It would be nice if that "Most Favoured Nation" trading status meant more in regards of lowering or eliminating import tariffs!

Incidentally, a few days ago I stumbled across your "Custom Aero RAF Jacket" thread from back in 2009. Did Aero ever pursue on their production jackets the skins you provided for your jacket?

John
The tannery no longer exists but I think Ken has plans to upscale the RAF jacket range

aswatland

As the seller of this RAF jacket I can confirm that I have been stung sending expensive jackets outside the EU and can't risk this happening again with this jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass